We Are X Reviews

• Aug 04, 2020

Admittedly I've only recently become a fan of X Japan but having binged on their music and concert videos for months I looked up this film, hoping to learn more about the band. I am glad I watched it. Learning more about drummer and band leader Yoshiki's background gives a greater insight into his song writing. It was also interesting to learn about his shared history and at times strained relationship with vocalist Toshi. It's just a shame that the documentary seemed to focus almost entirely on Yoshiki, almost placing him on an alter for worship. Aside from the above, the film briefly covered the tragic death of lead guitarist Hide (and, even more briefly, bassist Taiji) but again it was very much from Yoshiki's perspective and how it impacted him. Guitarist Pata and bassist Heath, with the band from the start and 1992 respectively, barely get a look in. The decision for Sugizo to join as the sixth member in 2009, and his effort to honour Hide's style of playing, isn't mentioned at all. A more accurate title would have been "I Am Yoshiki".

• Feb 23, 2020

I went with 2 stars with this music docu. movie. I just got into this band I thought that this was a good music docu. movie to watch if you are new to the band, or been a fan forever. I learned more about the band and their history, very packed with info and a sad story about the band and their lives/band etc... I only watched this music docu. movie once, but I'd watch it again very interesting and lots of emotion.

• Jun 16, 2019

The best movie ever. I could know about X and X JAPAN.

The best movie ever. I could know about X and X JAPAN.

• Feb 18, 2019

Was good, great music, interesting story

Was good, great music, interesting story

• Jul 08, 2018

For those who haven't heard of X Japan before this is a good movie, to see what they can do live, but also what they went thru behind the scenes.

• Nov 17, 2017

we are x form hongkong

we are x form hongkong

• Oct 23, 2017

"We Are X" tells the story of X (later X Japan) and their rag to riches to less riches to something and then something and Yoshiki's still rich. There's some real drama here--two former members committed suicide, one very clearly due to the group's first breakup--and the singer was inducted into a cult that controlled his every behavior (and emptied his bank accounts) which incited the first breakup--but the camera crew and director keeps the focus solely on the drummer/pianist/songwriter Yoshiki. When I used to work in a recording studio with Japanese bands X Japan was Universally hated, which I figured was just jealousy--that said, there's a lot to hate about the main guy...

• Oct 17, 2017

been a fan since 1997 thru my japanese friends, this movie gave me so much insight at their songs, specially their powerful, melancolic, sad and deeply emotive ballads. It is Yoshiki centered though, but he deserves all the spotlight, he is so metal, artist, pariah, survivor, avatar of hope, masochist, and many more expresed in all his songs. Give yourself a chance to dive to this rabbit hole, and witness this amazing world he created.

• Anthony L Super Reviewer
    Sep 22, 2017

• May 03, 2017

Could have been much much better. Very little depth in the narrative. This story needs to be retold