We Steal Secrets: The Story Of Wikileaks - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

We Steal Secrets: The Story Of Wikileaks Reviews

July 15, 2017
Informative, longer than it needed to be, but still fairly impartial. Interesting to watch.
May 19, 2017
Another superlative documentary by Alex Gibney. Over two hours it investigates the psychology and slippery morality of those who whistleblow and those who publish leaks, together with the fallout for governments and individuals. The main focus of course is Julian Assange, whose singular achievement appears to be how he has successfully alienated former colleagues and increasingly isolated himself. Compulsive.
March 31, 2017
Julian might be a truth seeker. but he's a raging narcissist
½ March 9, 2017
What seems to be a reasonably accurate and balanced depiction of Assange, his cult status and organisation.
December 26, 2016
A fascinating documentary that sheds a revealing light on the largest whistleblowing scandal of recent times, its repercussions and the moral dilemma involved, even though Gibney also has a bit of trouble editing all this material together in a cohesive way.
August 4, 2016
Wow. The first time I hear about this movie. It has 92% rating on rotten tomatoes and 76% of the audience liked it.
December 20, 2015
Otro poderoso punto de vista de Gibney, esta vez sobre la leyenda de Mendax y como lo han convertido en un loco paranoico. Increíble ver como se puede manipular tanto a la masa para que cosas tan graves como las denunciadas por Wikileaks pasen desapercibidas y su promotor termine encarcelado en una embajada ecuatoriana.
August 12, 2015
I urge everyone to watch this
April 8, 2015
We Steal Secrets doesn't carry the same punch or investigative depth that make Gibeny's docs so compelling. It's an interesting look at a flawed man, albeit too unidimensional for those who studied Assange and his work. Still, it offers plenty of thought-provoking material that make the film a relevant entry in Gibney's filmography.
½ April 6, 2015
I'm a huge Alex Gibney fan, but this film remains my least favorite of his due to its heavily lopsided perspective on WikiLeaks, built primarily through the eyes of its former employees and opponents.
½ April 6, 2015
I expected this doc to be a Julian Assange love-in, so was (somewhat) pleasantly surprised to find out that it's really fairly critical of him. To clarify, it's quite supportive of the Wikileaks mission, but is extremely critical of Assange's handling of the sexual assault charges in Sweden and his subsequent hypocritical behavior. (If it's any consolation to Mr. Assange, Adrian Lamo comes off as the real creep in this one.) I can't say that I disagree. The documentary is a good primer on the formation of Wikileaks and the Bradley Manning leaks in particular. It's nothing fancy, but informative.
April 5, 2015
Fascinating documentary on Julian Assange and Bradley Manning. It loses a little focus in the middle by spending too much time on Manning's gender identity. But overall, interesting stuff.
April 2, 2015
A dramatic documentary in its a time but looking back a few years after the whole Wikileaks situation the Doco is a little dated.

It's largest flaw is its length much too long for the content & it's hard to keep interest the whole way through.

Julian Assange is shown in many lights but mainly negative in the last quarter of the film...I believe Citizenfour is a much more relevant & powerful documentary.
½ January 31, 2015
I was a little lost. I think had I been more aware of what happened with this situation at the time, I maybe wouldn't have found it so hard to follow. I feel like I should do some more research and watch it again.
½ January 6, 2015
An interesting if somewhat biased look at Julian Assange, Wikileaks and the surrounding characters. You might learn something, just be careful what you learn.
November 9, 2014
An interesting and well crafted documentary about one of the defining moments of the XXI century, altough, behind the screen of objetivity, you can almost see the filmmaker's animosity towards Assange. But, as they say "sometimes your enemies can see the truth better than your friends."
½ October 15, 2014
Guess I wasn't expecting a documentary...
October 9, 2014
interesting enough. started lagging in speed towards the middle.
September 20, 2014
Nice doc. It tells a part of the story and we are living now the rest of it