We Steal Secrets: The Story Of Wikileaks - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

We Steal Secrets: The Story Of Wikileaks Reviews

December 20, 2015
Otro poderoso punto de vista de Gibney, esta vez sobre la leyenda de Mendax y como lo han convertido en un loco paranoico. Increíble ver como se puede manipular tanto a la masa para que cosas tan graves como las denunciadas por Wikileaks pasen desapercibidas y su promotor termine encarcelado en una embajada ecuatoriana.
August 22, 2014
I urge everyone to watch this
April 8, 2015
We Steal Secrets doesn't carry the same punch or investigative depth that make Gibeny's docs so compelling. It's an interesting look at a flawed man, albeit too unidimensional for those who studied Assange and his work. Still, it offers plenty of thought-provoking material that make the film a relevant entry in Gibney's filmography.
½ April 6, 2015
I'm a huge Alex Gibney fan, but this film remains my least favorite of his due to its heavily lopsided perspective on WikiLeaks, built primarily through the eyes of its former employees and opponents.
½ April 6, 2015
I expected this doc to be a Julian Assange love-in, so was (somewhat) pleasantly surprised to find out that it's really fairly critical of him. To clarify, it's quite supportive of the Wikileaks mission, but is extremely critical of Assange's handling of the sexual assault charges in Sweden and his subsequent hypocritical behavior. (If it's any consolation to Mr. Assange, Adrian Lamo comes off as the real creep in this one.) I can't say that I disagree. The documentary is a good primer on the formation of Wikileaks and the Bradley Manning leaks in particular. It's nothing fancy, but informative.
April 5, 2015
Fascinating documentary on Julian Assange and Bradley Manning. It loses a little focus in the middle by spending too much time on Manning's gender identity. But overall, interesting stuff.
April 2, 2015
A dramatic documentary in its a time but looking back a few years after the whole Wikileaks situation the Doco is a little dated.

It's largest flaw is its length much too long for the content & it's hard to keep interest the whole way through.

Julian Assange is shown in many lights but mainly negative in the last quarter of the film...I believe Citizenfour is a much more relevant & powerful documentary.
½ February 17, 2014
I was a little lost. I think had I been more aware of what happened with this situation at the time, I maybe wouldn't have found it so hard to follow. I feel like I should do some more research and watch it again.
½ January 6, 2015
An interesting if somewhat biased look at Julian Assange, Wikileaks and the surrounding characters. You might learn something, just be careful what you learn.
June 9, 2014
An interesting and well crafted documentary about one of the defining moments of the XXI century, altough, behind the screen of objetivity, you can almost see the filmmaker's animosity towards Assange. But, as they say "sometimes your enemies can see the truth better than your friends."
½ October 24, 2013
Guess I wasn't expecting a documentary...
September 6, 2014
interesting enough. started lagging in speed towards the middle.
May 31, 2013
Nice doc. It tells a part of the story and we are living now the rest of it
September 17, 2014
'We Steal Secrets' is a powerful, hard-hitting documentary that really makes its viewers sit up and realize how little they know about what's going on around them. It's been portrayed like a real life thriller but more importantly, it's highly informative.
½ August 20, 2014
For a documentary, this was kind of all over the place. It felt like the director couldn't decide if Wikileaks was good or bad. The only thing I got out of this was Wikileaks was not journalism and therefore not protected by first amendment rights. Wikileaks redacted names, but still released the source material with no added content. That makes them a source, albeit not the original.
August 4, 2014
amazing documentary!
December 3, 2013
good to see some of the backstory, but can't help but come out feeling very sorry for julian and bradley... but not sure if they seem crazy for being rebels or if they were rebels because they are crazy. a bunch of off balance lonely nerd boys looking for game and admiration? and transparency accomplishments just a side story?
½ June 8, 2014
It's more about Julian Assange than Wikileaks.
½ May 9, 2014