We Were Soldiers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

We Were Soldiers Reviews

December 3, 2015
This was a great film. Mel Gibson was great as Col. Hal Moore. The other characters in the film did a good job, on both sides. I liked that they tried to give the Vietnamese troops more human qualitities and stories, rather than just your cliche, stereotypical Asian grunt that just wants to see everything burn and die. These soldiers fought for a purpose. The battles were very grusome, violent, and bloody, but at the same time were extremely effective at portraying what actually happened during the Battle of Ia Drang Valley. Although there were some really heavy cliches that took away from the realism of the movie, it was an enjoyable and eye-opening ride through one of the first battles of the Vietnam War. 4/5 Stars.
November 11, 2015
If I was to follow any one into combat it would be Gen. Moore and CSM Plumley! And, if I was told to guard the gates of hell I could just hear this conversation: "Son, how much ammo have you got? Enough Sergeant Major! How much is that? One for each head!" If CSM Plumley and Sam Elliot playing him were to stand side by side, I don't think they could be separated because from what I've been told of CSM Plumley, he was just as tough in real life as Sam Elliot played him!
November 11, 2015
This is one of the best war movies since the most recent ones in the past. Mel Gibson gives a good performance, the war action is very good with good special effects. Pure action from start to finish, just a great good momarable movie to watch. So for this being a great or should I say the one of the best war movies that belong in the list of war movies ever made, I give " We Were Soldiers " a B.
August 24, 2015
didn't care much about this war movie very much
August 16, 2015
A mediocre war movie with a wooden performance by Mel Gibson.
July 31, 2015
While it certainly focuses too much on the war and less on the story itself, We were Soldiers is a fair tribute to the men who died fighting for their country during the Vietnam War, even if it doesn't captivate as it should
½ July 30, 2015
Just poorly made. Can't believe this got two thumbs up, low budget war films are horrible. Saving private Ryan came out during this time. Lots of young big time actors overall comes up very short.
½ July 30, 2015
Fairly powerful film, and Mel Gibson delivers a strong acting job as Lt. Hal Moore. We Were Soldiers is about a daring mission in the Vietnam War, where a division of helicopter troopers infiltrate a Nam valley crawling with underground insurgents. There, the men find themselves fighting for their lives against a hidden enemy that not only outnumbers them, but are commanded by a general possibly as capable as Moore.

The action is intense and bloody; those squeamish should skip this one. I do appreciate how it remains respectful, yet not at all jingoistic with the American heroes. It also portrays the Vietcong warriors in a respectful manner. Its an unusually classy war movie.
June 20, 2015
Overall We Were Soldiers is a good movie. The movie has good direction, good cinematography but horrible dialogue. Compared to other great Vietnam War movies such as Platoon and Apocalypse Now, We Were Soldiers is absolute garbage. To start off, this movie isn't filmed anywhere in Asia, but instead is filmed in California making each battle scene unrealistic.
½ June 15, 2015
Steals a lot from the WW2 pictures from the 40s and 50s but it's watchable.
½ June 12, 2015
This movie isn't perfect but I really enjoyed it. It builds up a huge compassion level for the characters and actually makes you feel for them for what they're going through. The music plays along nicely with the terrific cast. Mel Gibson is truly one of the historic movie greats.
June 4, 2015
amazing movie about soldiers and their families.
May 29, 2015
Well-made, well-acted, but it bored the hell out of me. It feels like a rip-off of Saving Private Ryan.
½ May 24, 2015
The story of the battle itself is well told, but the storytelling is melodramatic. The writing, directing, and acting are all a bit stiff which limits the impact of the film. It is a good dramatization of a major battle, but ultimately it comes off as a poor man's Black Hawk Down.
May 10, 2015
Not bad Mel but you didn't die. All those poor Americans got killed and you made it out alive :'(
½ May 10, 2015
89%
Watched this on 10/5/15
This is by far the best Vietnam war film that I have seen, I have already watched all the much renowned films like Platoon, Apocalypse Now, The Thin Red Line and any that you can name. Then why is this so? plain and simple, We Were soldiers is although a bit preachy, is packed with the much requisite action that is almost missing out on all the above mentioned films, moreover it expertly crafts the perils of war through it's extreme violence. It also puts a human shade to people on both sides of the war rather than a one sided attempt. Director Randall Wallace has done a fine job.
April 14, 2015
In hindsight it seems more about the US pov in a human yet cliched way.. well performed particularly by Mel Gibson as well as ... still one finds Madeleine Stowe's lips distracting...
March 30, 2015
It's your standard war film. Nothing special. Little bit of a spoiler here, but the only scene that really stood out to me, I can't even remember it too well, but it's where Gibson gets emotional and says he should have died with the soliders he was leading in battle. Through the movie I kept getting annoyed at everyone hiding and getting shot every time they moved, but Gibson is walking around all casual and not getting shot at all. I was thinking the movie is trying to suggest something stupid like Gibson is such a good solider he knows how to avoid bullets or some nonsense, but in that scene I realized that he did have a death wish and its his acceptance of death that made him so brave and calm compared to everyone else. He wasn't dodging bullets, he was trying to get hit.
½ March 21, 2015
Solid war movie about the first major battle of Vietnam. A little heavy on stereotypes, but this was also one of the movies that introduced many characters who would become stereotypes later. Gibson is Lt. Col. Moore: stone faced and calculated, but a man of his men. If you like men putting their lives on the line for their country, if you like good old war films, this is a flick for you. Well worth every minute of the 139 minute run time.
February 24, 2015
Forever engraved into my childhood