We Were Soldiers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

We Were Soldiers Reviews

May 1, 2016
Great battle scenes but pretty weak in many other areas.

A telling of the 1st Battalion, 7 Cavalry Regiment, 1st Calvary Division's battle against overwhelming odds in the La Drang valley of Vietnam in 1965. Seen through the eyes of the battalion's commander, Lt. Col. Hal Moore (played by Mel Gibson), we see him take command of the battalion and its preparations to go into Vietnam. We also see how the French had, years earlier, been defeated in the same area. The battle was to be the first major engagement between US and NVA forces in Vietnam and showed the use of helicopters as mobility providers and assault support aircraft.

Very gritty battle scenes. Captures well the chaos and confusion of battle, plus the desperation and terror involved when things aren't going well. Mostly accurate, by most accounts, though some minor liberties are taken for dramatic effect.

The problem, however, lies with just about everything else. Dialogue is quite over-the-top, as if just about everybody is played by John Wayne. Many simple passages of dialogue are turned into speeches, and cliche-filled speeches at that.

In keeping with the cheesy dialogue, some pretty heavy-handed, overly gung ho scenes too. Once again, reminded me of a John Wayne movie.

Overall, quite entertaining, just uneven because of the mix of gritty battle scenes and cheesy dialogue and other scenes.
March 25, 2016
very good Viet Nam movie. Sure shows the action and what happened..
February 19, 2016
War films are a dime a dozen whether they're tackling World War 1, the extremely popular World War 2, the recent battles in the Middle East, or Vietnam, and this particular film focuses on the first major battle between the Americans and the Vietnamese in brutal detail as they were outnumbered 5:1 in the infamous battle of La Drang. Written and directed by Randall Wallace (who also wrote Pearl Harbour and Braveheart), the film paints a highly realistic portrayal of the carnage of war; flipping back and forth between the soldiers fighting in 'Nam and their spouses at home receiving KIA notifications: it's very grim stuff. Mel Gibson stars at Lt. Colonel Hal Moore whose jingoistic intentions to get the job done and protect his men is admirable and is exemplified perfectly when he tells his troops, "I will be the first to set foot on the field, and I will be the last to step off, and I will leave no one behind". The rest of the cast is padded out with familiar faces such as: Greg Kinnear, Sam Elliot, Chris Klein, Keri Russell, Barry Pepper, Madeleine Stowe, etc. while also featuring some surprising appearances from later TV stars, Jon Hamm, Clark Gregg, Ryan Hurst, and Desmond Harrington. In reality, it isn't hard to get big names to appear in war films, but it is still worth noting. As mentioned, the battle scenes are violent, in-your-face, and really hard to watch as you can clearly see how overwhelmed the American soldiers were and how desperate they become when their numbers swiftly drop. There is a scene where a soldier is nearly burned to death by friendly fire and a fellow soldier attempts to carry him out and the skin on his legs literally peels off like ribs on the bone; some horrific imagery for sure. From what I've heard, the facts aren't all the way there (what war film is), but if you enjoy these types of movies and can handle the violence, it's definitely one of the better films to tackle the conflict in Vietnam since, Platoon.
½ January 11, 2016
Another Mel Gibson Classic!
December 3, 2015
This was a great film. Mel Gibson was great as Col. Hal Moore. The other characters in the film did a good job, on both sides. I liked that they tried to give the Vietnamese troops more human qualitities and stories, rather than just your cliche, stereotypical Asian grunt that just wants to see everything burn and die. These soldiers fought for a purpose. The battles were very grusome, violent, and bloody, but at the same time were extremely effective at portraying what actually happened during the Battle of Ia Drang Valley. Although there were some really heavy cliches that took away from the realism of the movie, it was an enjoyable and eye-opening ride through one of the first battles of the Vietnam War. 4/5 Stars.
November 11, 2015
If I was to follow any one into combat it would be Gen. Moore and CSM Plumley! And, if I was told to guard the gates of hell I could just hear this conversation: "Son, how much ammo have you got? Enough Sergeant Major! How much is that? One for each head!" If CSM Plumley and Sam Elliot playing him were to stand side by side, I don't think they could be separated because from what I've been told of CSM Plumley, he was just as tough in real life as Sam Elliot played him!
November 11, 2015
This is one of the best war movies since the most recent ones in the past. Mel Gibson gives a good performance, the war action is very good with good special effects. Pure action from start to finish, just a great good momarable movie to watch. So for this being a great or should I say the one of the best war movies that belong in the list of war movies ever made, I give " We Were Soldiers " a B.
August 24, 2015
didn't care much about this war movie very much
August 16, 2015
A mediocre war movie with a wooden performance by Mel Gibson.
July 31, 2015
While it certainly focuses too much on the war and less on the story itself, We were Soldiers is a fair tribute to the men who died fighting for their country during the Vietnam War, even if it doesn't captivate as it should
½ July 30, 2015
Just poorly made. Can't believe this got two thumbs up, low budget war films are horrible. Saving private Ryan came out during this time. Lots of young big time actors overall comes up very short.
½ July 30, 2015
Fairly powerful film, and Mel Gibson delivers a strong acting job as Lt. Hal Moore. We Were Soldiers is about a daring mission in the Vietnam War, where a division of helicopter troopers infiltrate a Nam valley crawling with underground insurgents. There, the men find themselves fighting for their lives against a hidden enemy that not only outnumbers them, but are commanded by a general possibly as capable as Moore.

The action is intense and bloody; those squeamish should skip this one. I do appreciate how it remains respectful, yet not at all jingoistic with the American heroes. It also portrays the Vietcong warriors in a respectful manner. Its an unusually classy war movie.
June 20, 2015
Overall We Were Soldiers is a good movie. The movie has good direction, good cinematography but horrible dialogue. Compared to other great Vietnam War movies such as Platoon and Apocalypse Now, We Were Soldiers is absolute garbage. To start off, this movie isn't filmed anywhere in Asia, but instead is filmed in California making each battle scene unrealistic.
½ June 15, 2015
Steals a lot from the WW2 pictures from the 40s and 50s but it's watchable.
½ June 12, 2015
This movie isn't perfect but I really enjoyed it. It builds up a huge compassion level for the characters and actually makes you feel for them for what they're going through. The music plays along nicely with the terrific cast. Mel Gibson is truly one of the historic movie greats.
June 4, 2015
amazing movie about soldiers and their families.
May 29, 2015
Well-made, well-acted, but it bored the hell out of me. It feels like a rip-off of Saving Private Ryan.
½ May 24, 2015
The story of the battle itself is well told, but the storytelling is melodramatic. The writing, directing, and acting are all a bit stiff which limits the impact of the film. It is a good dramatization of a major battle, but ultimately it comes off as a poor man's Black Hawk Down.
May 10, 2015
Not bad Mel but you didn't die. All those poor Americans got killed and you made it out alive :'(
½ May 10, 2015
89%
Watched this on 10/5/15
This is by far the best Vietnam war film that I have seen, I have already watched all the much renowned films like Platoon, Apocalypse Now, The Thin Red Line and any that you can name. Then why is this so? plain and simple, We Were soldiers is although a bit preachy, is packed with the much requisite action that is almost missing out on all the above mentioned films, moreover it expertly crafts the perils of war through it's extreme violence. It also puts a human shade to people on both sides of the war rather than a one sided attempt. Director Randall Wallace has done a fine job.