We Were Soldiers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

We Were Soldiers Reviews

½ February 21, 2015
Decent war film, but not in my favorites
February 15, 2015
both heartbreaking and inspiring
February 9, 2015
Great film everyone should see.
½ January 24, 2015
Based on true events of the Vietnam war based on a book...it's quite a powerful representation of the horrific war that was like every other war I guess. Tries to give a bit of the opposition perspective too but not too much, so not sure how necessary it was as at the end it wasn't a balanced representation of both sides. Still makes for a good watch and fills you with empathy for the people who fought it.
January 20, 2015
This is one fantastic war movie for its realism, depth, and acting. Mel Gibson excels in another role of rough edged tough leader with a soft side and religious aspect. Some neat symbolism and occasionally outstanding cinematography accent this great film.
January 13, 2015
... this was just a bad ass film... plain & simple.
December 20, 2014
One of the most underrated War movies of all time.
December 16, 2014
A suitably patriotic tribute to courage both on the battlefield and the homefront.
December 6, 2014
My second favorite war movie of all time after saving private Ryan the action is great and I love how it shows the humanity in each of the soldiers allowing us as viewers to bond with them I also liked how it showed what it was like for the families back home would highly recommend
November 12, 2014
A well done depiction of The Vietnam War, both of the soldiers on the front lines and of their wives and families back at home. Mel Gibson and the rest of the cast were excellent.
October 8, 2014
Fantastic movie.....
September 8, 2014
Gibson makes an excellent C.O.
August 31, 2014
kick ass movie! but a little corny
½ August 25, 2014
Gibson should stick with the Mad Max genre in his movies.
½ August 17, 2014
Another great performance from Gibson in another WWII epic. The effects and action scenes are intense as the writing and dialogue are authentic.
August 10, 2014
A movie that shows two sides of the war. Not just the never ending chaos and slaughtering of La Drang valley in Vietnam but the home front, the women back home with their husbands off killing or getting killed. It's very intense, sometimes even topping off parts of Saving Private Ryan, with some of the best helicopter scenes I've seen, something I have know come to love in Vietnam war movies. The music is also one of my favorites in a movie, and it is perfect. It doesn't really show the traditional wet, raining jungle that we are used to seeing in Vietnam war movies, and instead shows a small patch of grass with surrounding hills and trees. So if you are expcting a Platoon or Full Metal Jacket movie, look to Hamburger Hill instead, because this one is unlike any of them. There are some great actors in it to but way too many to keep track of them all. A non-stop action movie that is a must see for almost anyone. But warning the edited version for TV is terrible! So much important stuff is cut out, as are most of the more gory scenes. Other times blood is edited out, and one scene is even in black and white so we don't see the colors on a badly burned soldiers face. But the real version is amazing and is number 2 on my top 15 favorite war movie list.
½ August 10, 2014
"I can't promise you that I will bring you all home alive but this I swear, before you and before almighty god, that when we go into battle I will be the first to set foot on the field and I will be the last to step off and I will leave no one behind. Dead or alive, we will all come home together."
~ Lt. Col. Harold G. Moore ~

Director Randall Wallace and Actor Mel Gibson collaborate once again for the first time since they worked together in Braveheart. A perilous and sadistically violent war drama that drops you straight onto the battlefield and into the line of fire. A painstakingly breathtaking and emotionally towering film that packs nerve shredding power and heartfelt intensity from beginning to end. "We Were Soldiers" jumps straight to near the top of the list of the best Vietnam War films ever made, the power is almost overwhelming in parts, and the violence so realistically portrayed that it gets a bit tough to watch. From Platoon to Hamburger Hill, The Deer Hunter to Apocalypse Now, all Vietnam War films pack a serious punch of wickedly electrifying emotion and power, this film is just another to add in a pile of Vietnam War masterpieces. The true story of a man committed to his troops, Lt. Col. Hal Moore, the commanding officer of the First Battalion Seventh Cavalry and their bravery during one of the most violent battles during The Vietnam War. A story of courage, comaradarie, bravery, hope and the power of faith during the darkest of times. Randall Wallace throws you straight into the gut-wrenching and stomach-churning battle that took place in 1965 in Vietnam's La Drang Valley, otherwise known as "The Valley Of Death". It's jampacked with sustained action packed battles and hardcore realism throughout. A truly powerful piece of work from everyone involved.
From an acting standpoint, this film is very well done and is teeming with awesome talent. Mel Gibson does a brilliant job throughout in another very demanding performance. Always good to see Gibson doing what he does best. The supporting cast comes up huge and includes brilliant performances from Chris Klein, Greg Kinnear, Sam Elliott, Kerri Russell and Barry Pepper
August 6, 2014
In my humble opinion, the best military film of all time!
August 3, 2014
Good war movie Mel Gibson had done it again he has delivered a fantastic film.
July 30, 2014
A sad, brutal look at the Vietnam war. A Great War movie with always good Mel Gibson at the helm.