We Were Soldiers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

We Were Soldiers Reviews

May 10, 2015
Not bad Mel but you didn't die. All those poor Americans got killed and you made it out alive :'(
½ May 10, 2015
89%
Watched this on 10/5/15
This is by far the best Vietnam war film that I have seen, I have already watched all the much renowned films like Platoon, Apocalypse Now, The Thin Red Line and any that you can name. Then why is this so? plain and simple, We Were soldiers is although a bit preachy, is packed with the much requisite action that is almost missing out on all the above mentioned films, moreover it expertly crafts the perils of war through it's extreme violence. It also puts a human shade to people on both sides of the war rather than a one sided attempt. Director Randall Wallace has done a fine job.
April 14, 2015
In hindsight it seems more about the US pov in a human yet cliched way.. well performed particularly by Mel Gibson as well as ... still one finds Madeleine Stowe's lips distracting...
March 30, 2015
It's your standard war film. Nothing special. Little bit of a spoiler here, but the only scene that really stood out to me, I can't even remember it too well, but it's where Gibson gets emotional and says he should have died with the soliders he was leading in battle. Through the movie I kept getting annoyed at everyone hiding and getting shot every time they moved, but Gibson is walking around all casual and not getting shot at all. I was thinking the movie is trying to suggest something stupid like Gibson is such a good solider he knows how to avoid bullets or some nonsense, but in that scene I realized that he did have a death wish and its his acceptance of death that made him so brave and calm compared to everyone else. He wasn't dodging bullets, he was trying to get hit.
½ March 21, 2015
Solid war movie about the first major battle of Vietnam. A little heavy on stereotypes, but this was also one of the movies that introduced many characters who would become stereotypes later. Gibson is Lt. Col. Moore: stone faced and calculated, but a man of his men. If you like men putting their lives on the line for their country, if you like good old war films, this is a flick for you. Well worth every minute of the 139 minute run time.
February 24, 2015
Forever engraved into my childhood
½ February 21, 2015
Decent war film, but not in my favorites
February 15, 2015
both heartbreaking and inspiring
February 9, 2015
Great film everyone should see.
½ January 24, 2015
Based on true events of the Vietnam war based on a book...it's quite a powerful representation of the horrific war that was like every other war I guess. Tries to give a bit of the opposition perspective too but not too much, so not sure how necessary it was as at the end it wasn't a balanced representation of both sides. Still makes for a good watch and fills you with empathy for the people who fought it.
January 20, 2015
This is one fantastic war movie for its realism, depth, and acting. Mel Gibson excels in another role of rough edged tough leader with a soft side and religious aspect. Some neat symbolism and occasionally outstanding cinematography accent this great film.
January 13, 2015
... this was just a bad ass film... plain & simple.
December 20, 2014
One of the most underrated War movies of all time.
December 16, 2014
A suitably patriotic tribute to courage both on the battlefield and the homefront.
December 6, 2014
My second favorite war movie of all time after saving private Ryan the action is great and I love how it shows the humanity in each of the soldiers allowing us as viewers to bond with them I also liked how it showed what it was like for the families back home would highly recommend
November 12, 2014
A well done depiction of The Vietnam War, both of the soldiers on the front lines and of their wives and families back at home. Mel Gibson and the rest of the cast were excellent.
October 8, 2014
Fantastic movie.....
September 8, 2014
Gibson makes an excellent C.O.
August 31, 2014
kick ass movie! but a little corny
½ August 25, 2014
Gibson should stick with the Mad Max genre in his movies.