We Were Soldiers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

We Were Soldiers Reviews

January 13, 2015
... this was just a bad ass film... plain & simple.
December 20, 2014
One of the most underrated War movies of all time.
December 16, 2014
A suitably patriotic tribute to courage both on the battlefield and the homefront.
December 6, 2014
My second favorite war movie of all time after saving private Ryan the action is great and I love how it shows the humanity in each of the soldiers allowing us as viewers to bond with them I also liked how it showed what it was like for the families back home would highly recommend
November 12, 2014
A well done depiction of The Vietnam War, both of the soldiers on the front lines and of their wives and families back at home. Mel Gibson and the rest of the cast were excellent.
October 8, 2014
Fantastic movie.....
September 8, 2014
Gibson makes an excellent C.O.
August 31, 2014
kick ass movie! but a little corny
½ August 25, 2014
Gibson should stick with the Mad Max genre in his movies.
½ August 17, 2014
Another great performance from Gibson in another WWII epic. The effects and action scenes are intense as the writing and dialogue are authentic.
August 10, 2014
A movie that shows two sides of the war. Not just the never ending chaos and slaughtering of La Drang valley in Vietnam but the home front, the women back home with their husbands off killing or getting killed. It's very intense, sometimes even topping off parts of Saving Private Ryan, with some of the best helicopter scenes I've seen, something I have know come to love in Vietnam war movies. The music is also one of my favorites in a movie, and it is perfect. It doesn't really show the traditional wet, raining jungle that we are used to seeing in Vietnam war movies, and instead shows a small patch of grass with surrounding hills and trees. So if you are expcting a Platoon or Full Metal Jacket movie, look to Hamburger Hill instead, because this one is unlike any of them. There are some great actors in it to but way too many to keep track of them all. A non-stop action movie that is a must see for almost anyone. But warning the edited version for TV is terrible! So much important stuff is cut out, as are most of the more gory scenes. Other times blood is edited out, and one scene is even in black and white so we don't see the colors on a badly burned soldiers face. But the real version is amazing and is number 2 on my top 15 favorite war movie list.
½ August 10, 2014
"I can't promise you that I will bring you all home alive but this I swear, before you and before almighty god, that when we go into battle I will be the first to set foot on the field and I will be the last to step off and I will leave no one behind. Dead or alive, we will all come home together."
~ Lt. Col. Harold G. Moore ~

Director Randall Wallace and Actor Mel Gibson collaborate once again for the first time since they worked together in Braveheart. A perilous and sadistically violent war drama that drops you straight onto the battlefield and into the line of fire. A painstakingly breathtaking and emotionally towering film that packs nerve shredding power and heartfelt intensity from beginning to end. "We Were Soldiers" jumps straight to near the top of the list of the best Vietnam War films ever made, the power is almost overwhelming in parts, and the violence so realistically portrayed that it gets a bit tough to watch. From Platoon to Hamburger Hill, The Deer Hunter to Apocalypse Now, all Vietnam War films pack a serious punch of wickedly electrifying emotion and power, this film is just another to add in a pile of Vietnam War masterpieces. The true story of a man committed to his troops, Lt. Col. Hal Moore, the commanding officer of the First Battalion Seventh Cavalry and their bravery during one of the most violent battles during The Vietnam War. A story of courage, comaradarie, bravery, hope and the power of faith during the darkest of times. Randall Wallace throws you straight into the gut-wrenching and stomach-churning battle that took place in 1965 in Vietnam's La Drang Valley, otherwise known as "The Valley Of Death". It's jampacked with sustained action packed battles and hardcore realism throughout. A truly powerful piece of work from everyone involved.
From an acting standpoint, this film is very well done and is teeming with awesome talent. Mel Gibson does a brilliant job throughout in another very demanding performance. Always good to see Gibson doing what he does best. The supporting cast comes up huge and includes brilliant performances from Chris Klein, Greg Kinnear, Sam Elliott, Kerri Russell and Barry Pepper
August 6, 2014
In my humble opinion, the best military film of all time!
August 3, 2014
Good war movie Mel Gibson had done it again he has delivered a fantastic film.
July 30, 2014
A sad, brutal look at the Vietnam war. A Great War movie with always good Mel Gibson at the helm.
½ July 28, 2014
Very bloody but moving, if you remember those times. If you don't, well, then it's just a war movie.
Cameron W. Johnson
½ July 1, 2014
It's "Braveheart II", or "The Patriot II", or something, because this is Mel Gibson back to being a man of honor and heart... until you cross him, at which point, he'll show you just how much heart you have, literally. William Wallace is back, and this time, he's taking on Vietnam, y'all! I joke but this film is co-produced, directed and written by Randall Wallace, who actually wrote "Braveheart", but just wrote, so here, he can really bring life to his bloody set pieces. Well, actually, I'd expect William Wallace in 'Nam to be less brutal than "Braveheart", because Mel Gibson seems to have a greater taste for war gore as a filmmaker than anyone, as you can tell by the war films she chooses to act in, alone. If anyone knows how to be patriotic and violent at the same time, it's Mel Gibson, so I'm going to go ahead and call bull on the title saying that he and his buddies "were" soldiers, because Gibson shan't retire his career in the movie military until he's in an Australian war film. I'm at least glad that they trimmed down the novel's title of "We Were Soldiers Once... and Young", because it's awkward enough when you take out of account that Sam Elliott has pretty much never been young, and that Madeleine Stowe will probably never get old. Now that is one pretty lady, and I wish there was a little more of her here, because things get a little dull when we're not seeing her face... or seeing someone else's face get blown off, for although the film is decent, excitement is not too much more limited than censorship here.

Well, I exaggerate the degree to which this film dries up when Randall Wallace's storytelling dips both into thoughtfulness and in material, but make no mistake, there are some surprisingly limp slow spells here which really defuse momentum through a certain, sometimes almost dull tonal chilling which is all too often broken by extremes. Quite frankly, among the most extreme issues with this film is sentimentality that is sometimes surprisingly overbearing with its abused of thematic visuals and near-cloying scoring in order to craft abrasive moments in tone which range from unnerving to almost embarrassingly sappy, and are made all the more aggravating from a trite sense which derives from formulaic storytelling. Rotten Tomatoes' consensus boasts that the "war clich[é]s are laid on a bit thick", but, in my opinion, they would be greater were it not for some potentially refreshing elements that, as cruel irony would have it, also make it all the more difficult to ignore the genericisms which do stand, and firm I might add, cheesing a few things up with clichéd dialogue and character types, and further retarding dramatic momentum by establishing a sense of predictability. It's not especially hard to tell where the drama is heading, so it's hard to justify the final product's taking too long to reach its expected points, because, at 139 minutes, this surprisingly minimalist war flick makes those aforementioned dry spells all the more detrimental to a sense of momentum by slowing things down, even in a script that particularly gets overdrawn with, of all things, its action sequences, which go on for so long that, despite the adequate dynamicity, monotony sets in to further water down dramatic kick. Of course, the fat around the edges go beyond the action, because when the film gets back to plot, it gets mighty carried away, slowly, but surely packing on layer upon layer, and subplot upon subplot, to the point of focal inconsistencies and even a hint of convolution, and the more the film tries to beef things up, the thinner a sense of meat gets. The film kicks off with a very promising development segment that draws plenty of intriguing aspects which could have gone into making a gripping opus, but once the body is reached, oddly enough, genuine dramatic value dips, never lost, but nonetheless in a manner that would be hard enough for Randall Wallace to compensate for, without all of the slow spells, overwrought sentimentality, genericisms and excess in action and plotting that drive the final product short of rewarding. The film could have been very underwhelming, if not worse, it gets so flimsy at times, and yet, with all my complaints about misguided overambition and lazy missteps, there are plenty of strengths, perhaps even conceptual intrigue fit for a more rewarding drama.

Spreading focus among various military men, and even touching upon the struggles of military wives back home, yet still rather thin in scale once it reaches an arguably overly action-oriented body, this film's story concept is simultaneously overblown and minimalist, and not even particularly refreshing, but it's hard to not pay respects to this idea for all of the layers and dramatic and thematic value found in the concept, alone, and done some justice by some commendable aspects in writing. Randall Wallace's efforts, at least as screenwriter, are never too impressive, and really start to go south when the particularly formulaic and excessive body is reached, but the sheer audacity to flesh out this still very rich story is respectable, and when tightness is found in plot structuring and characterization, that's when Wallace truly delivers on glimpses of what could have been. Of course, Wallace's writing would establish these glimpses so clearly if it wasn't for Wallace's efforts as director, which admittedly particularly thrive on technical value, solid scene staging and an audacious, if often overtly disturbing attention to violence that result in some killer action which, for all its excessiveness, is just tight and dynamic enough to entertain, and resonate when accompanied by inspiration in dramatic storytelling. Mind you, when Wallace places his grip on sentimentality, he tends to lose focus on when exactly to stop squeezing, until the film becomes kind of cloying, yet when the orchestration of memorably weighty visuals and Nick Glennie-Smith's trite, but decent score is realized, the resonance is almost piercing in its, as put best by Rotten Tomatoes' consensus, "putting a human face on soldiers of both sides in the Vietnam War". The film is so messy so often, and I hate that, because when the film hits as a drama, it hits hard, with tension and tenderness which fit subject matter of this nature like a glove, and keep a genuine human heart pumping fairly well, though not as much as the characters' portrayals. If nothing else keeps consistent with its effectiveness more-or-less throughout the final product, it is the performances, because just about everyone, at one time or another, shines, whether it be Barry Pepper as a journalist who sees more horror than he ever could have predicted, or Greg Kinnear as a military superior who must be prepared to face tragedy, or Madeleine Stowe as a military wife who must share with her peers news she dreads receiving herself, or the show-stealing Mel Gibson as a good and proud man of honor, brotherhood and war who must lead his men to gruesome dangers, and face the burden of witnessing the devastating aftermath. Gibson and his peers define much of the heart and soul of this drama, but not alone, because no matter how misguided Wallace gets to be, what is done right is done well enough compel reasonably and consistently, if improvably.

In the end, when Randall Wallace's directorial tone doesn't dry out, it bombards, with a certain sentimentality that, alongside conventions, excess and unevenness, defuse the final product's momentum, until reward value is lost, all but retained by nonetheless worthy subject matter, well-rounded writing highlights, thrilling action, resonant dramatic highlights, and across-the-board strong performances which make "We Were Soldiers" a plenty decent, if plenty flimsy portrait on the horrors of war.

2.75/5 - Decent
June 30, 2014
Don't believe the hype. Now I know why I've waited 12 years to see this.
½ June 22, 2014
Add this among the great Vietnam war epics
½ June 1, 2014
With all the fictional films about war and also the new superhero craze (I'm a fan of those too), it's good to see one that is founded in historical fact. Mel Gibson gives a performance equal to that of Braveheart.