We Were Strangers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

We Were Strangers Reviews

½ April 3, 2013
I hope he died quickly for his sake and mine.

Tony Fenner is an American in Cuba with visions of bringing down the Cuban dictator and he has the financial backing to make it happen. When he discovers that the president and the majority of his strength will all be at one place at one time, Fenner plans an extravagant assassination attempt. As he makes his plans he recruits numerous locals, including a woman whose brother was murdered by the president's men (they fall in love). Will Fenner and his recruits free Cuba or will local law enforcement bring him down?

"We all have stuff we want to keep hidden...even the best of us."

John Huston, director of The Maltese Falcon, The African Queen, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The Man Who Would be King, and Prizzi's Honor, delivers We Were Strangers. The storyline for this picture is very interesting and contained better than anticipated characters (that were definitely fun to follow). The villains are very well presented and the conclusion is unpredictable. The acting is solid and the cast includes Jennifer Jones, John Garfield, Gilbert Roland, Ramon Novarro, and Pedro Armendariz.

"Are you crazy?"
"Perhaps. I don't know what sanity is anymore."

I always try to DVR John Huston pictures when they air on Turner Classic Movies (TCM). This picture hasn't received quality reviews on rottentomatoes...and I don't understand why. I felt the final shootout was awesome and the ultimate conclusion was gripping and well done. Overall, this is a worthwhile picture that I definitely recommend seeing once.

"They have one hundred faces and one name."

Grade: A
March 4, 2013
The stark claustrophobia of the compositions is continuously goosed by urgent surrealism
½ December 26, 2011
It's very strange that this film about terrorists who are willing to kill innocents even if their cause is 'just' was made in Hollywood. Well, as long as it's for 'freedom' I guess it's ok! Woo! Freedom!
jjnxn
March 6, 2011
Political drama of the initial Cuban upheaval pre-1933. Shown from the vantage point of the revolutionaries and their plot to overthrow the oppressive government in one fell swoop this is an unusual film for it's time period in that it doesn't shrink away from stating that the freedom workers might have to take innocent lives to acheive their goals. Huston's direction is assured and Garfield and Roland acquit themselves well but the picture is marred by two things. First is the overly obvious rear projection shots that occure throughtout the film and the larger problem that Jones is miscast in a part that would have fit Katy Jurado like a glove. She seems neither gritty enough, she is consistently glamourous even when digging beneath a cemetery!!, nor even remotely Cuban to be believable. Not a bad film just flawed.