The Wedding Banquet (Xi yan) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Wedding Banquet (Xi yan) Reviews

August 5, 2013
Finally, able to watch an unedited version. Previously, the males kissing scenes were censored. After 20 years, it is till a mind boggling to me.
½ June 20, 2013
I think my copy had some really bad dubbing, or maybe that's just the way it was supposed to sound. Bugged me. If it wasn't dubbed, then holy shit that was some terrible acting at times.
May 22, 2013
This is a hard movie to find on dvd,i saw this when i was 13 and fall in love with it
½ March 26, 2013
Ang Lee presents a vibrant Chinese culture bigger than the America it's set in.
March 11, 2013
A great drama about gay, straight, family, mariage, lies, truth, tradition, modern, and above all else LOVE.
February 27, 2013
Well-meaning but somehow dated. Anyway, it has its great moments! The acting is very good and it was so funny and poignant without pushing for emotion and laughs. It works.
½ February 3, 2013
Subtle acting by sihung lung made this pitch perfect.
December 30, 2012
Thoroughly, utterly delightful. First class treatment of characters.
December 10, 2012
A delightful film, funny and moving in turn. A must see.
November 27, 2012
This early film by Ang Lee touches on many of the themes that he would explore in his larger budget work. Homosexuality, Asian tradition, and the importance of family is all present in this comedy that is both thoughtful and entertaining. Some of the story's conflicts seem too easily resolved however.
October 22, 2012
Some funny moments eh
July 29, 2012
Showing it's age a bit, but still a great film which walks that line between comedy and drama and serves up a satisfying feast.
June 18, 2012
The premise of this movie feels written for an episode for a classic '70s American sitcom, but it works quite well and manages to be highly entertaining. Despite tackling a rather serious subject, the film never quite loses a grasp on its choice comedic approach. Though it can be accused of embracing a small number of somewhat negative "gay" stereotypes, the film still manages to be tasteful and at times, just "cute." Mr. and Mrs. Gao, in their role towards acceptance, comprehension and tolerance, steal the show becoming the most endearing characters.
June 10, 2012
Wedding banquet is brimming with wits and funs, while Chinese audience can get as much emotions as the foreign.
½ June 8, 2012
Seen on line. I liked it.
May 11, 2012
This is such an amzing masterpiece by Ang Lee back in his younger novice days as a filmmaker. A Pre-Brokeback period about love, familt and tradition. I love how cross cultural differences and sexual interpretations in modern society and traditional lore collide. I highly recommend to watch this hidden gem of the 90's.
½ April 28, 2012
Halfway decent actors might've gotten a little more out of this one.
½ February 18, 2012
Ang Lee started his career with a high note. The film has a strong story and interesting characters.
½ February 12, 2012
Good acting. Boring. About a gay guy whose parents want him to get married. Why the fuck did I watch this? Wasted 30 minutes of my life.
February 3, 2012
Wonderful comedy with a lot of heart