The Weight of Water Reviews

• Apr 30, 2020

I wasn't sure what to expect, but the storyline and cast drew me in. I found myself throughly engaged throughout, and it stayed with me for a long time. This is a film that I have to watch every time it's on. I guess I love moody dramas about a historical ax-murder mystery.

• Jan 19, 2019

1.19.19 DVD @ home w/Sh & J

1.19.19 DVD @ home w/Sh & J

Gimly M Super Reviewer
    Jun 06, 2017

Either one of the two stories might have been engaging on their own, if they hadn't shown their hand from the very start. A disappointment to know this comes from Kathryn Bigelow.

• Nov 22, 2016

Sean Penn ruins it, as he does any movie.

Sean Penn ruins it, as he does any movie.

• Sep 07, 2016

I found this dual story of frustrated sexual passion and murderous jealousy and rage to be intriguing. A group of skilled actors (minus Elizabeth Hurley, just there for eye candy and temptation), bring both stories to climatic and violent end, in each case built around a floundering marriage. I know that critics and audiences didn't really like it, but I did, and found it a rewarding watch, and Sarah Polley's performance brilliant.

• Jun 21, 2016

It could be a better one

It could be a better one

• Mar 19, 2016

• Oct 11, 2015

While I had high hopes for this film, if fell flat, from beginning to end. The apt acting on of Sean Penn, Elizabeth Hurley, Kathryn Bigelow and Josh Lucas (modern day love triangle) kept the story movie flowing and wanted me to finish it. I feel the acting of Sarah Polley (best of), Ciaran Hinds, Katrin Cartlidge and Vinessa Shaw was also very good, gave the feeling of self-isolation as well as the obvious isolation of living on a big rock (olden days love triangle). Not to spoil the story line, which I felt it was very jumbled and unimaginative. A soon-to-be writer (Bigelow) and her famous poet husband (Penn) decide to take a "workation" with his brother (Lucas) and his current girlfriend du jour (Hurley) on his sloop racer. They travel off the coasts of New Hampshire to a small group of islands (the Shoals) in order to study an 1873 murder case that took place there. As well as I could have guessed, art imitates life with tragic consequences. I do realize it is based on fact, somewhat on the old 19th Century murder case. But I feel that the film overstepped it's bounds with a denouement that was a true deus ex machina which I felt cheated (both in the modern and olden times stories). Overall, the film was trying to be daring and bold, while having some good scenes and dialogue, it was too opaque and really didn't deliver what it promised.

• Jul 19, 2015

Starts slow, but then gets rolling and leaves you hooked until the very end.

Starts slow, but then gets rolling and leaves you hooked until the very end.

• Jun 16, 2015

The Weight of Weight is a decent film. It is about a news photographer who researches the lurid and sensational axe murder of two women in 1873 as an editorial tie-in with a brutal modern double murder. Sean Penn and Catherine McCormack give good performance. The screenplay is a little slow in place. Kathryn Bigelow did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the drama and mystery.