Welcome to Hard Times (Killer on a Horse) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Welcome to Hard Times (Killer on a Horse) Reviews

January 26, 2015
This is on my list of two hundred favorite favorite movies. Almost no one else likes it. Even E.L. Doctorow the author of the original novel dislikes it. Even though there is action/violence it is primarily a character study of the mayor, the prostitute and the boy. Most see the mayor as a coward but, though he certainly isn't courageous, he seems like an ordinary man who fears danger and is unwilling to take risks even when the need arises, while feeling bad about himself for it.
½ January 29, 2014
I usually associate director Burt Kennedy with light western comedies like "Support Your Local" Sherrif" or "Dirty Dingus Magee," but i forget that he also directed some more serious films as well, like "The Killer Inside Me." This film falls in the second category, being based upon an E.L. Doctorow novel. Henry Fonda as the mayor of a dying town who is too weak to stand up to a stranger who literally destroys the small town over the course of the first half hour of the film. Fonda then convinces the remaining town members to rebuild the town. The town members are made up of western regulars Keenan Wynn, Warren Oates, Edgar Buchanan, Also Ray, Denver Pyle, Lon Chaney Jr. Royal Dano, Elisha Cook Jr., and Paul Fix. Originally filmed as a TV movie, but deemed too violent and was instead released in theaters.
July 16, 2013
Dull western with a predictable ending.
½ November 24, 2011
Holy Cow! What a find. They don't come any more westerner than this. One of Henry Fonda's best performances. Highly recommended.
November 2, 2011
I started watching & thought I'm really going to like this movie but when Aldo Ray's villian left town so did my interest.When the townspeople started rebuilding the town, The movie took a lighthearted turn then Aldo Ray showed up once again, Still my interest was gone & Aldo Ray was only back in the movie for what seemed like 2 seconds & then it was over.The best part of the movie was the beginning & that was it
August 12, 2009
Bleak and ultimately unsatisfying western in which Henry Fonda is too scared to stand up to the bad guy and too stubborn to run away from him.