Welcome Back Mr. McDonald - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Welcome Back Mr. McDonald Reviews

April 26, 2014
A very good comedy with a continuous series of comic setbacks that make this a superior film. Have seen films like this elsewhere, but this tops the lot.
August 27, 2013
One of the most hysterically funny movies I've ever seen.
April 30, 2012
A meta-flick about the art of storytelling, the production creative process in media industry... And the infinite ways they intertwine, mix and disturb one another, but all ends well, despite chances. Sweet without covering of candy reality, a great slice of life comedy aptly coming from the land of Seyuu.
November 8, 2011
ห(TM)ั?ี>ุ(TM)อารม""ี-ี?-ะหัวราะ>(TM)?ัวาม-ัรือลย อยา?มา?ริ(TM),ีย(TM)-รือ(TM)ี,รสุ"ยอ"ลย -ารอ?ียว?ั?าร-ำละรวิ-ยุ อ,ีย(TM)- หรือ-ำา(TM)อยู(TM)ว?ารวิ-ยุ?ละ,-ร-ัศ(TM) ห(TM)ัรือ(TM)ีะ-ู?>(TM)-ีสุ"ลยละ
½ July 12, 2010
All Is Fair in Love and Radio Station

In a recording studio of a Tokyo radio station at midnight, just an hour before the live airing of a drama, shy housewife Miyako Suzuki (Kyoka Suzuki) finds herself in panic when her first autobiographical script is demanded to be rewritten by an egocentric radio drama star, Nokko (Keio Toda.)
Nokko demands the character's name changed from Rituko to Mary Jane, consequently changing her background from a housewife to a gang specialist lawyer and moving the setting from a Japanese fishermen town to a courthouse in Chicago.
One change leads to another. A story of a plain Japanese suburbia housewife's melodramatic love affair with a fisherman is rewritten to be a romantic spectacle between a beautiful lawyer and a handsome astronaut. Later, the series of changes writes the spaceman, Mr. McDonald out of the script.
The recording room is chaotic as a chain of changes are being made during the airing. Miyako, tired of getting pushed around by egocentric actors, director, and producer, locks everyone out of and herself in the recording studio demanding a happily ever after ending. The tension amounts on the set, and everyone is put to challenge to bring Mr. McDonalds to the story.
Rajio No Jikan brings the best of the screenplay writer/ director Koki Mitani's screenplay and casting. While Mitani's other sitcom screenplays are set in much out-of the-daily-life locations and mildly entertaining, it works best in the setting of a small recording studio, bringing closer attention to the dialogs and characters' dilemma.
The script is so well-written that it almost seems re-makeable; however, Mitani's brilliant casting makes the film extraordinarily humorous.
The equally talented and highly skilled actors are carefully chosen, and they work as an orchestra without one actor stealing the camera with great presence.
This cheerfully optimistic movie is entertaining and ideally suitable for families with young adults. Though egotistical, likable characters getting around restrictions on the changed script is guaranteed to keep you laughing throughout the film.
June 30, 2010
After searching for this film for years, I finally got to watch it and glad I did. The interactions between studio staff based on the work and social hierarchy was fun to watch although at times for obvious reasons, distressing. As the film winds up though sabotage is sabotaged. Great ending!
April 28, 2010
Completely charming and adorable. It's a cute plot with quaint and funny scenes. Great bits of stuff.
December 16, 2009
I was very attracted with story itself. It is very unique??structure is exceptional! Actors and actresses who played in this movie are all talented. mitani koki is amazing! I love his works very much!
August 11, 2009
This movie made me laugh, it was a good pace and I was always looking forward to how the characters and their egos were hijacking the whole production. It is incredible.
May 26, 2009
Laugh out loud hilarity!
April 1, 2009
After a Japanese housewife wins a contest to have her radio play broadcast, she becomes disillusioned by the actors who change the script on a whim in order to feed their own egos. Many funny scenes intermix with a few heart touching ones to produce an enthralling movie.
½ March 29, 2009
i enjoyed this more than i'd expected. funny lines and charactors...mr.donald macdonald!! and goerge!!! it's all the same in such industry radio / tv. i didn't know it came out in english with such title though.
½ March 13, 2009
hilarious and very original
February 11, 2009
Quite amusing farce made in Japan. Sweet and simple, it made me laugh out loud several times.
½ September 14, 2008
I like this movie.. sometimes, it went so crazy that we tend to do what we think is right..
August 2, 2008
Really funny, kind of sweet. Then again, I probably owe some thanks to Ai and Kimi for occasionally explaining what was going on...
July 12, 2008
Typical Koki Mitani. Quaintly funny movie reminiscent of Hercules Returns (without the dirty jokes). Ken Watanabe has what would now be a cameo but he was less famous at the time. Feels old - but good Japanese comedies usually do.
July 2, 2008
Funny movie! That's all I have to say. I love the simplicity of this movie, yet it turns out to be very engaging and it made me laugh. This is not your usual story that you'd expect. I enjoyed it from start to finish. Not to mention it stars one of my favorite actresses, Kyoka Suzuki in one of her early lead roles.
½ June 5, 2008
Expected to be something hilarious and sweet, and it is. Somehow you know how will the plot develop, and yet still have some very funny jokes in the film. The way the positive characters striking for their goals in the film and the way the film put it are SO japanese . . light and happy
May 10, 2008
A hilarious Japanese homage to the American screwball comedies of the 30s/40s.