Welcome Back Mr. McDonald - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Welcome Back Mr. McDonald Reviews

½ March 14, 2008
Mitani's first feature film shows that he is the true successor of his mentor Juzo Itami. A superb situational comedy.
March 1, 2008
the whole movie took place in a radio station. prob 90% was shot inside radio studio.great script and very very funny!
February 19, 2008
One of the best comedies ever.
February 8, 2008
A hilarious and clever satire... made me laugh out loud many times...
February 2, 2008
This movie is really funny. I saw it with my Japanese class, and now I've seen it 2 times on my own. It's really worth a watch, if you don't mind subtitles.
February 1, 2008
The engagingly quirky cast of characters keeps you entertained as the seemingly meandering plot slowly builds to a hilarious grand finale.
January 15, 2008
One rarely sees an honest farce these days, let alone one that's done well.
December 31, 2007
I haven't laughed so hard in years. The whole audience was in stitches throughout the film. Loved it!
December 2, 2007
Great pacing, hilarious and mood lifting.
November 20, 2007
What makes a good movie. In my opinion what's more important than special effects or artistry is how a movie moves you and how frequently you would watch it again. For me, Welcome Back Mr. McDonald (or Rajio Jikan in its original title, Radio Time) does this in spades (making it my no.1 favorite movie of all time) no matter how I'm feeling before the film I always finish it content with a smile on my dial. Mitani's love of theater and comedy (in fact the film itself is a movie version of a play written and acted by Mitani's comedy troupe when he was starting out) make itself know in this film about a late night radio drama that's constantly being sabotaged by the cast and crew to the distress of the author. But there's no real bad guy, each character is as real as you or I and all have their redeemable moments and you'll soon start to warm up to them, even the shameless cow-towing producer by the end of the film. Finally I'd like to give special mention to the sound track and the way director Mitani takes a familiar theme and fosters a greater emotional response from each theme and pulls even a foreign audience into the nostalgia of Japanese radio drama.

This may be a soppy review and a departure from my usual favorites like Alien and Akira but that's what this movie does to me, it moves me to that place.
November 13, 2007
Hilarious from the start to the end...
October 31, 2007
Great fun, absolutely hilarious, wonderful acting.
October 16, 2007
See the SOUND, Hear the MOVIE!!! This is only joyride not to be missed.
October 13, 2007
Laughed so much my stomach hurt.. :-D
October 9, 2007
Good hilarious fun. It's rather unfortunate that this modest comedy film didn't get more attention it deserves.
October 5, 2007
in the mood for good farce?
October 1, 2007
One of the funniest comedies I've seen. Look out for it.
September 27, 2007
A modest but hilarious little Japanese comedy about a radio drama going awry. I suspect that's not very original to begin with, but the escalating plot craziness of the radio play and the frantic comic situations making fun of contemporary Japanese culture stand out on their own. Nice ensemble cast with an unrecognisable Ken Watanabe as a lorry driver.
½ September 27, 2007
hilarious. usually i hate over the top acting and humor, but they really pull it off well.
September 20, 2007
This should be considered as a case study for young film makers everywhere. A simple well written script yet looks like it could be improvised by the actors on the spot itself, which is also what the theme of the movie's about. A feel good engaging dark humour comedy the likes of "Tampopo". Look out for the reprised character from that movie for Ken Watanabe.