We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story Reviews

June 22, 2017
For a film that came out of Amblimation We're Back: A Dinosaur's Story feels like the absolute worst. despite the animation being decent the story is just completely out of touch, the writing is lazy and characters are all annoying and one dimensional. the only recommendation I'll give is to just stick with An American Tail: Fievel Goes West & Balto, just don't get too mad about the movie cause we all know it's just dull and cheap.
½ May 31, 2017
2.5/5. I loved We're Back when I was a kid, and while some of the movie still works, a lot of it simply doesn't, particularly the first half.
½ May 3, 2017
I actually liked it
it's not the best Spielberg Movie or animated film, but not the Worst!
March 12, 2017
Great classic kids movie. Fun for the whole family!
February 28, 2017
A favorite from my childhood and continues to be a fun nostalgic adventure into adulthood.
January 11, 2017
Was scared of and didnt understand the shift from fun/friemdly to the dark demon circus thing in the movie when I was a kid.. Something just felt odd even when I rewatched it 20 years later. Did notice a pentagram or two during the circus scenes, one being on first glance of screw eyes circus ring when talking to the clown. Later in the movie they remove the pentagram in the circus ring, but I noticed another one during screweyes smoke/light show. Maybe not an intended subliminal message, just makes me wonder why these symbols/subliminal messages keep appearing in childrens movies. Oh and lets not forget the part where the crows devour screw eyes :S creepy movie
November 5, 2016
If I mention an animated Steven Spielberg film about dinosaurs, what is the first thing to come to your mind? I doubt that it is "We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story." This is just another cheap attempt to get a piece of Disney's success during the Renaissance. How did Spielberg get sucked into this one? It has plenty of big names, a score by James Horner, and a song performed by Little Richard, but the entire thing is painfully cheesy and trite. When you consider that this film hit theaters between Disney's releases of "Aladdin" and "The Lion King," it emphasizes its lack of quality in an era of critically acclaimed animation. Even better: this film was released the same year as "Jurassic Park"! Was it meant to be a companion piece to Spielberg's box-office shattering dinosaur thriller? This is probably the first time that one studio managed to create a box-office smash AND a box-office bomb about dinosaurs in the same year. The main issue is the film's shallow story. The sight gags, stereotypical 90's children, and simplistic plot probably appeals to kids but leaves the adults feeling like they were conned into watching something that is (frankly) stupid. The concept of running away to join the circus was popular in the early 20th century but seems awkward in a 90's setting where kids enjoy technology and skateboarding. Not to mention the inevitable disappointment when any young viewer expects to see living dinosaurs at the Museum of Natural History. They tried to make up for the plot with big names like John Goodman (good choice, good man), Martin Short (but as a dimwitted clown with strong convictions?), Jay Leno (an awkward choice for an animated film), Julia Child (also awkward), Kenneth Mars (King Trident, stolen from Disney), Charles Fleischer (Roger Rabbit, also stolen from Disney), and Walter Cronkite. Even with a great plot, this random group of actors (and news journalists?!?!?) would have struggled to build chemistry. The entire film feels disjointed, pointless, and lacks the heart of Disney's animated output. But it has a Ferris Bueller-proportioned parade, so there's that. "We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story" is able to hold the attention of young kids and make them terrified of the circus, but certainly not a film that will please the entire family. If you are really craving an animated Steven Spielberg film about dinosaurs, stick with "The Land Before Time."
September 27, 2016
A Don Bluth ripoff trying to come off as a good adaptation of a classic children's book! Face it, there is just no weight to this flick, because it has no focus, and it's embarrassing! Even the animation, aside from the rest of the movie, was obnoxious! It was like the human extras were hyped up on too much sugar! That's just annoying!
½ August 28, 2016
Professor Screweyes was the only part that really held up. Loved this when I was a kid though
April 16, 2016
I know that We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story is a childhood favorite of many people, but it's not very good at all. The story is incomprehensible, the characters are one-dimensional, the music is bland and the animation is sub-par. Even the voice acting, with all of its strange cameos, sounds like it was done half-heartedly. This is definitely the lesser of Steven Spielberg's dinosaur movies that were released in 1993.
½ April 10, 2016
I gotta wonder what I was on as a kid to like this.
February 3, 2016
Such a good movie. Used to watch this all the time.
½ January 11, 2016
This is a movie that is not afraid to be macabre and gothic at times. It brings a unique Grimm's like atmosphere to a children's Dinosaur movie. Even though it has an enjoyable soundtrack and cute characters that give it a child friendly feel, be warned that some children may be terrified of the villain and his circus. An childhood favorite of mine.
November 29, 2015
I loved this movie as a child!
August 17, 2015
its a fun cool movie based on a kids book unless you enjoy movies about animated films about dinosaurs or just stick with jurassic park trilogy
June 17, 2015
Upon taking off the nostalgia googles, I found We're Back to be pretty mixed to decent. The humor is cheerful and inoffensive, the characters are passionate and fun and the color's blend in really well.
However, the story suffers the notable flaw of being far too sloppy and uneven. It frequently went from being perky to dark over and over and the villain's fate went way beyond the concept of being over the top. Seriously, that last villain part gave me nightmares growing up.

So, with that said, We're Back: A Dinosaur's Story is mediocre all together. Not great, not bad, just mediocre. Children will be pleased with the film's down to earth sense of fun while adults might have mixed feelings about the film's problematic script.
May 23, 2015
I understand and yet at the same time i cant even fathom why nearly all of the film critics universally disliked this film. I might be slightly impartial to the film since its one of those early childhood favorites that inspire those great childhood feelings that rush back to you when your re-watching a old classic that you haven't seen in a while, or completely forgot about for several years. Still, seeing it again for the first time in about 3 or 4 years opened my eyes once again to the unique and wonderfully told story, albeit slightly darker then children's films of today. Along with the wonderfully talented voice cast, this movie is a forever childhood favorite.
May 11, 2015
It's a bit too twee for my tastes generally, being aimed at a pretty young demographic, but pretty much innocuous otherwise, despite a couple of dark moments that don't quite fit the rest of the tone. And, thankfully, unlike some other films sometimes aimed at younger audiences, only one mediocre-to-poor song.
On a completely unrelated note, why is it that animation typecasts John Goodman to voice fat, friendly carnivores that work in showbusiness?
February 4, 2015
Some kids may be put off by the story and the characters. The movie is too evil, I know it's trying to be a fun kids movie but it's worse than All Dogs Go To Heaven. Cecelia is a little girl who's neglected by her parents and kisses Louie on the lips and Louie goes off on his own, not caring about his parents. I'm guessing that they're around 11 since Louie wouldn't be stupid enough to run away. The dinosaurs have somehow warped themselves forward in time, and then sing a little song about being forward in time. And Professor Screw-eyes is almost too scary for little children, he treats the children horribly, even turning them into monkeys which they have been changed from after a while. Then, they got the generic circus thing.

It's better to leave this one for the little ones. It's a forgettable movie.
February 1, 2015
Every aspect of the film, from the characters to the sound effects, is obnoxious to the point where one has to stand up, walk away from it and finish it later.