Were the World Mine - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Were the World Mine Reviews

September 3, 2012
I had pretty low expectations for this from the description so I was pleasantly surprised. I get the title song in my head sometimes.
½ August 25, 2012
IT WAS OKAY...
and a neat take of the Shakespeare classic, not only modernized but with a gay love interest (and that's much more than what the original already has, Puck being one of the most gay-like characters in Shakespeare's works). The acting was pretty good and I so wish that I liked more of that old English verse but unfortunately I don't, never have, and probably never will. I also found the end too cheesy and kind of ruined the rest of the good work done in the movie
August 16, 2012
The Advocate was pretty ballsy to tell Hedwig to "move over" for this one, and it did fall short of bumping Hedwig from its rightful place as one of the most amazing, raw, intense, musical, and complex films I've ever seen... But Were the World Mine was many of those things itself as well as sweetly simple and just what I needed right now.
½ August 14, 2012
Dancing-singing kind of movie is not my favorite. But most importantly ,real life theme is way better than 'real+fiction+confusing story line'
June 28, 2012
While the concept is outrageous, Gustafson manages to blend it well in this feel-good coming of age romance.
May 25, 2012
First of all, this is a really clever film, why wouldn't someone try to make a love potion? This is one of the sweetest independent film I've seen, the numbers were really good, sung by talented cast. Secondly, the acting by Wendy Robie saved the entire film, without her this would be another cheap looking film, but she really proved her acting ability. The gay guys couldn't act straight, that's I am saying. I am sure we've all learnt something today. Clap your hands if we'd be friends.
May 16, 2012
Absolutely loved this movie. Very well done. Love the Shakespeare sprinkled throughout. It's a modern day telling of A Midsummer's Night Eve that's very relate-able. Wasn't into Shakespeare until I saw this movie.
March 14, 2012
I've heard about this movie a few times & keep forgetting that I want to see it! Or buy it!!
½ February 6, 2012
This movie fell solidly into the realm of "So bad/ridiculous that it's good." Watch it with friends, sing along. It transforms from a mediocre fantasy into a marvelous display of love and glitter and magic and (well-quoted!) Shakespeare. You will gasp, and laugh. You probably won't cry. More than worth your time: a potential life-changer just waiting to be discovered. Sing!
½ January 31, 2012
The first 3rd of the film was very much like High School Musical however it took quite an interesting turn. Although I've never studied a Midsummer Night's dream, this movie gave an interesting perspective to the story. Plot didn't go very deep however I sense this was intentional to give the film that fictional quality. Acting was average to good. Overall I enjoyed the film.
½ January 20, 2012
This is a cute, campy, and heartfelt movie. Also, I love Midsummer's, so that was a plus for me. Tanner Cohen is great as Timothy, and he has a great voice to go along with it. In fact, there is not a dissapointing voice in the entire movie. Even the butch rugby coach's one line of singing was good. Also, raises up issues of homosexuality and different views on it in society. I reccommend this movie, but honestly, if you don't know Midsummer's at all, then you might have a hard time following, and therefore, liking the movie.
January 11, 2012
Sooo Cute! I love the storyline and the bits of banter. 8)
January 4, 2012
Silly, Camp, imaginative, great musical numbers and such awesome costumes and scenery for a shoestring budget! Ms. Tebbit 's character is as awesome as she is mysterious and mystic, and a lot of good looking blokes in the cast help! And it's a good ending, and doesn't leave me disappointed!
½ November 11, 2011
To-tal-ly Perfect!!! It's a great musical.
½ September 30, 2011
This rotten remake of Shakespeares amazing work should be used to fill landfills everywhere.
September 1, 2011
A mi parecer un musical bien intencionado pero poco logrado, falta mas energia y mejor coreografia. La idea no es mala del todo.
½ August 7, 2011
High school boys doing A Midsummer Nights Dream. It's like Glee only gayer
August 6, 2011
Wililam Shakespere re-imagined for a modern audience. Despite its overtly gay themes, its a joyous celebration of dreams. Some of the best movie music in a while!
August 4, 2011
It starts off portraying very convincingly the tensions between straight and gay students and between arts programs and sports programs and parents and kids...but then slaps all these real concerns in the face with a ridiculously easy and happy ending. Cute, but goofy. Made me miss teaching high school kids the Shakespeare a little. It also taught me the word "heteroflexible," which I like.
½ August 1, 2011