Reviews

• Feb 18, 2017

I was excited to watch this movie since Im a pretty big werewolf movie fan. The title is very misleading with its "Werewolf Hunter" as the movie has really no werewolf hunting nor does the movie have any werewolves in it and has really Nothing to do with werewolves besides one scene with a Wolf transforming back into a man which Ill admit is a pretty good practical transformation. It has a nice tone and feel to it and I like the period setting but the story isn't very interesting nor were the characters that interesting and are just boring. The acting in the movie leaves a lot to be desired and feels like something you'd get out of acting from the made for tv hallmark channel movies. The fact that it really has no werewolf like the title suggests is a huge put off. As a period piece drama its ok nothing special but as a werewolf movie its awful. 1/5.

• Oct 03, 2015

An uproar is caused when some mutilated cadavers are discovered in 1851 on the spanish countryside. A traveling vendor, Manuel Romasanta (Julian Sands), rolls through the forest in his old wagon. A woman from every village on his route faithfully awaits him. He's attractive, intelligent, charming. But he's also the monster feared by all. His most recent prey, Barbara (Elsa Pataky) will soon become the one who hunts him down... The film is based on the true-life story of Manuel Blanco Romasanta, the traveling vendor, who confessed to the murders of thirteen people, using their body fat to make soap. Romasanta was tried in Allaríz in 1852 and avoided capital punishment by proclaiming a curse turned him into a werewolf. Queen Isabel II condemned him to a life penalty. He died in prison. Yet another werewolf story in one way, but on the other hand here we have a true life story as the base. The cinematography is colourful, the environments are lush and I reckon they had an ok budget. But, the screenplay is not that engaging, nor is the general story plus the acting is not up to notch in my mind. Julia Sands is ok, as Romasanta, but not more. The only one that does a good job in this film is the talented and absolutely stunning Elsa Pataky. "Romasanta - The Werewolf Hunt" makes me think of "Brotherhood of The Wolf" as they both suffer from similar problems with the general structure and unbalanced performances. I reckon there´s missed potential in this movie as it ends up just as a b-horror movie in my eyes.

• Sep 14, 2015

Gave this one a re-watch during my recent Halloween-themed viewings and I have to say that I think I may've enjoyed it more the second time around, kinda knowing where the story was going. Well worth a rental.

• May 02, 2014

The only reason to watch the movie is to contemplate beautiful Elsa Pataky.

The only reason to watch the movie is to contemplate beautiful Elsa Pataky.

• NaWie M Super Reviewer
    Sep 02, 2013

Its an okay Movie. Worth watching once.

Its an okay Movie. Worth watching once.

• Nov 24, 2012

Surprisingly good and if you're a fan of seeing Julian Sands fondling various women, you're in for a treat .

• Mar 10, 2012

This isn't a bad movie, in fact it is pretty interesting and well made, but it is a bad werewolf movie. I can see why a lot of people would be turned off by watching this due to the complete lack of werewolves considering the title is Werewolf Hunter, but this is the only time I've seen an intense transformation from a wolf back into a human, usually going the other way around is what the stories focus on. Not what I expected, but not bad.

• Feb 01, 2012

I watched this a while back, and it wasn't a bad werewolf movie. Thnx to lvcyn I probably wouldn't of rated this. Sands does a fairly good job at acting and the special effects were better then i thought they were gonna be for this. The change was pretty realistic.

• Oct 30, 2011

Kald mig skør, men når jeg ser en varulve film, så vil jeg gerne se blod, gyseragtige scener og, ja, måske også en varulv ... Det sidste, specielt, var åbenbart for meget forlangt i denne film ... Nej nej nej ... Undgå det pis her ... Og så skulle den være realistisk ? Javel så ... Som bonusinfo kan det siges at filmens mest skræmmende moment var da en fed mand stod og gloede en ulv i øjnene og den ulv var DJ�VLEN, selvom den lignede en hvilken som helst anden ulv .. De kunne da i det mindste have ændret lidt på øjnene eller noget men ak ...

• Mar 05, 2011

Unfortunately named and packaged... ROMASANTA (or, "WEREWOLF HUNTER" as it's been released in North America)... is going to give most people the wrong impression going in. ROMANSANTA is NOT a werewolf, horror movie as the title suggests. It is not a "Van Helsing" style action/adventure disasterpiece either. ROMASANTA is actually a decently made, historical thriller with effective, dramatic overtones and... (fortunately)... NO WEREWOLVES. Well, not really... Beautifully filmed, ROMANSANTA tells the true story of Manuel Blanco Romasanta who murdered 13 people in 1850s Spain. The cast is largely unknown to Western audiences (although it's nice to see Julian Sands' familiar face) and everyone involved does a remarkable job. Julian Sands is a real curiosity. The man is an extremely capable actor who hasn't had much luck with the film choices he's made in the past. While selecting roles in "film-garbage" like - BOXING HELENA - hasn't done his career any real favours, he will still make appearances in smaller, hidden gem films like this one and his presence here, elevates an already fine movie. While ROMASANTA is not a "Horror" film, per se... there are moments of genuine shock, unease and an underlying sense of menace throughout. There are certainly scenes of gore as you would expect from a film about a serial killer and there are even a few "werewolf"-themed scenes (clearly but effectively written into the story to enhance the killer's "werewolf-themed psychosis). But these kept to a minimum and are all very well done, especially when you take the film's modest budget into account. I enjoyed this film quite a bit. It can be considered a much less flashy, far less bombastic, (but very close relation) to 2001's - BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF.