Werewolf: The Beast Among Us - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Werewolf: The Beast Among Us Reviews

January 5, 2017
A refreshing and well written werewolf movie. Im a seasoned horror buff having 35 years of expieriance on all horror genres (i.e. monsters, paranormal, slasher, psychological, sci fi) so it takes a lot to impress me. When I give 4-5 star ratings it means I will be watching the film again, and probably adding to my personal library.
½ July 3, 2016
Judging by the cover of this film thoughts of 'Van Helsing' and 'Underworld' spring instantly to mind...and your not far wrong with that.

This is pretty much a copy and mix of both of those films, chock full of lovely cliched characters and everything you've ever seen before in a werewolf movie.

Bunch of crazy hardass werewolf hunters come to a small village to purge them of the wolf horror. A young man from the village volunteers to help them do so but there are twists to come, many predictable twists that aren't too well hidden.

The film looks quite good with that typically bleak, dark, murky, 19th century, forest set, Eastern European village look. The characters are basically rips from many other films and include your obligatory Hudson from 'Aliens' type, the cool calm Clint Eastwood-esque leader, the sexy ninja like female and a well spoken, smartly dressed toff who throws lots of little knives. A kind of quirky 'League of Extraordinary Gentleman' type looking gang. The dialog is all the right kind of hero spouting fluff you have heard before, tight little one liners throughout the action just to emphasise these guys are cool and tough etc..

The reason I watched the film (apart from being a werewolf fan) was down to the reasonable looking effects. It swings from good to bad really, some shots of the werewolf's claws, eyes or silhouettes against the darkness are pretty neat and work well. The transformation sequences are fully CGI and a bit hokey but I've seen worse, whilst in full CGI motion the creature doesn't look that bad. Put it this way its no worse than the first 'Underworld' flick which had a much bigger budget.

Unknown cast accept for previous vampire player Stephen Rea, none of which are much to shout about although Guy Wilson who plays the young man from the village looks perfect for his character. Honestly for a straight to DVD film this isn't too bad and offers some nice visuals and claret soaked action, just don't expect anything original at tall.
June 29, 2016
Not good. Period. Heh. Sorry.
½ June 29, 2016
I was surprised with this movie. I actually thought it was pretty good.
½ June 29, 2016
My first impression wasn't very good. Granted I did not finish the movie so it really isn't a fair rating. Perhaps I will watch it later and change my mind.
June 29, 2016
Worst horror movie ever, enough said.
June 29, 2016
This actually puts a pretty interesting spin on werewolf mythology, and some of the werewolf action is pretty exciting, it's just that the first hour of the movie is SO fucking boring! I had to watch this movie in like five separate chunks. The CGI werewolf looks busted so thankfully they only show it sparingly, but the rubber-masked body-suit werewolf actually looks pretty good in a cheesy monster movie kinda way. I couldn't tell if it was some of the performances or some of the costumes or a combination of both that was making this feel like community theater, but quite a bit about this film feels pretty budget (which is par for the course when it comes to straight to DVD monster movies I guess).
not very interesting
½ June 29, 2016
What a lovely surprise this was. I expected a "SyFy" film, but ended up getting more.
½ June 29, 2016
A better than average werewolf-movie, lifted by an unusually good cast and acting. The special effects let this movie down a bit, but between the good story and the solid acting it really doesn't bother me all that much. It works just fine. Actually I have to admit that Im mainly remarking on the effects because the rest of the movie is so well made. As a horror movie fan, and especially when it comes to werewolf and zombie flicks, I usually expect the worst... This movie however is better than average in most ways - so enjoy it.
June 29, 2016
Trailered as something worthy of the Universal monster movie canon, but actually much worse than Del Toro/Hopkins Wofman. And... Stephen Rea was great in V for Vendetta... a shame he shows up here at all. Avoid.
June 29, 2016
I really like the film, simple story with nice well made special effects.
½ June 29, 2016
Low budget, but good script, good cgi, and overall very good.
June 29, 2016
not bad for a straight to dvd movie. the special effects were actually reallybgood and surpasses some of the Hollywood releases about werewolves. not a bad watch.
June 29, 2016
Rehashes furry horror stereotypes well-covered by Universal in the 1940s while alternating between emo Twilight-esque melodrama and an Expendables team of monster hunters which is completely expendable.
June 29, 2016
A fun werewolf flick that you don't have to think about.....if you enjoy werewolf movies of the older type (classic style), then you should definitely check out "Werewolf: The Beast Among Us", because it is a lot of fun and a good movie to watch.
½ June 29, 2016
B Movie horror... with Stephen Rea on B Movie duties. Very, and I mean VERY average Werewolf action/horror romp...
June 29, 2016
It says something about Stephen Rea that even when he's not trying he's still acting circles around the main cast. Then again we are dealing with a movie that trying to be the next Van Helsing for whatever reason so it's not aiming high.
just plain terrible.