West Is West - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

West Is West Reviews

July 10, 2012
Having enjoyed East is East...I have to say that this didn't disappoint. Witty!
April 7, 2012
Cute and funny way to continue from East is East, I wish there was more on the other siblings, like Meena
April 7, 2012
Not quite the same as the first, but just as funny
½ March 15, 2012
A mirror image to East is East, looking at western idiosyncrasies and how they compare to Eastern sensibilities. As such it works when watched after the first but as a film on it's own it's plodding and forgetable, maybe overly sensitive on trying not to be racist which probably hurt it more than had it just been all out offensive, because at least it would been memorable.
February 18, 2012
Nowhere near as good as East is East.
January 13, 2012
It has it faults, but I really enjoyed this.
½ December 17, 2011
Not as good as the first one but still funny.
½ November 14, 2011
Deeper than it looks.
½ November 6, 2011
It's an OK film but not as good as the first one.
October 29, 2011
Really really enjoyed this. Great performances.
October 27, 2011
Relatively engaging sequel, that suffers mainly from a poor performance from the lead kid and its lack of necessity. Some interesting cross-cultural issues are addressed, but they feel dated in the face of the retrospective setting.
October 8, 2011
A different kind of material to that of 'east is east' the film could have been put together better in terms of editing IMO but the result is better than what the critics were reporting. I enjoyed the landscapes (which were India really) and the 70s setting.
October 3, 2011
Second part of the popular East is East featuring the same family, the Khans. In the second part the couple struggles with their youngest son, Sajid, a troubled teenager trying to escape the racism of Salford during the 70s while fighting the rigid grasp of his traditional father at home. Mr.Khan finally sends him on a holiday to Pakistan to discover his roots and he decides to accompany him so he can visit the ex-wife and the daughters he left behind 30 years ago.
This has been marketed, for some reason, as a comedy. However this is nothing of the sort. There are some jokes and some funny situations but this is the portrait of a very dysfunctional family struggling to overcome the race and culture issues that are tearing them apart. This is especially true in Mr. Khan, a pakistani man that has been living abroad for so long that finds very difficult to reconcile past and present now that has to face the consequences of his decisions.
It is a good film but not an esay watch. It shows us problems that might be set in the 70s but that are still very valid today. It is been said that second parts don't tend to be as good as the original film, I don't believe this to be the case. It is a fair and just sequel dealing with the same problem but with a different perspective.
½ September 22, 2011
This movie is more emotionally driven than its prequel - East is East - which relied more on crassness and humor ... !!
Loved the Pakistan connection, from Saeen Zahoor's vocal/music to the fact that the story depicts the richness of rural Pakistan's culture and even unfolds flaws in our family system due to scattered families living in different parts of the world ... !!
Acting wise the young Aqib Khan has a great, charming presence ... while Om Puri is just top notch as usual ...
September 2, 2011
I loved East is East, and in its own way the sequel is just as good. You can't help but like the characters and the humour, for us at least, is spot on. Nanette and I are still calling each other 'Nob 'ed' a week later!
September 1, 2011
A good sequel, showing the life of the family not fitting in with the Pakistan environment. While i thought George was a bit too thuggish at the beginning, besides that the movie was another solid drama.
½ August 30, 2011
Enjoyable, much the same as the first but with an exotic twist
August 28, 2011
Took some getting into. Definately not as good as the first, but that's usually the case with sequals.
August 27, 2011
Opening well, the movie stirs memories of the original East Is East. However once we move to Pakistan, the film takes an altogether different tone, and is sadly lacking the brilliance of its predecessor.

The culture clash which gave the first movie its core subject matter is quickly brushed under the carpet, as Sajid all too swiftly acclimatises to his new surroundings. Whats left is all the emotion, with too little to break it up.

George goes back to his first wife, swiftly followed by Ella, and what follows is a collision of worlds in which more is left unsaid, eventually winding its way to an unsatisfying conclusion.

Hopefully George doesn't have any relatives in London, because on this form we do not want to be subjected to North is North!
½ August 27, 2011
Back in the lives of the Khan family. East is East sequel, less funny than the latter but more moving and involving. More of a drama than a comedy. Racism and faily bonding is the main content of this movie. Sajid the youngest of the clan is having some major issues by being a young pakistani boy in England, Manchester in the seventies. He is tortured due to his race and beliefs, as a result his father thinks its time to take him to the homeland to open his eyes. Homeland being in Pakistan where his first wife lives with his other family, troubles soon follow!! This is a deeply moving movie, few laughs and plenty of development in all the main characters. Recommended if you like East is East or Monsoon wedding.