The Whales of August - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Whales of August Reviews

March 13, 2017
A marginal movie, with understated drama. Four top box-office draws of years past work together to weave an uneven tale of how friendships can change & renew among those who are dedicated to each other.

This was Lillian's last film, and Anne received an Oscar nomination for her efforts. Betty and Vincent are emotional opposites in this film, with all three characters vying for Lillian's time & affection.
½ December 27, 2016
Beautiful movie all around. Loved the location, character contrast and subtle humor. This was a wonderful look into the world of sisterhood. However old they may be, still as ornery and hopeful as ever. Beautiful.
September 15, 2015
It's a sweet little movie that allows acting legends Bette Davis, Lillian Gish, and Vincent Price showcase their talents even in their 90's. It's well written and beautifully shot next to the beach. It's short and sweet
April 4, 2015
considering it's a film about a picture window & there's no whales, it's so serene, calm, like the waves it washes over you & there's some very enjoyable well spoken characters.
March 27, 2015
gr8 last picture for Gish and Vincent Price I love this movie gr8 chemistry between Gish & Davis. also last pic 4 the gr8 ann southern.
½ August 1, 2013
Staring three legendary actors from the silent through to the classic era, the story of 2 sisters and their house on the ocean.

This film is a little slow & not a lot happens but the characters are all so interesting even the ladies handyman is great.

It accurately covers the battles of senility & Lillian Gish was a ripe age of 94 years old when she went in production of this film & in my opinion steals the show.

It's a touching, simple & paced in an appropriate manner & I liked but I can see why it hasn't been well received its a little bit too sad for mainstream audiences.
December 27, 2012
The Whales Of August is a subdued and quiet film, but it is a beautiful and marvelous film nonetheless. The two leads, Bette Davis and Lillian Gish, are superb in their roles as quarrelling sisters, with one being full of life and the other being filled with resentment about life and waiting for death. It's a film that beautifully illustrates not only the fears and lives of the elderly, but also about how people as a whole differ in opinion about life itself. Now that I think about it, this film isn't a simple story that it pretends to be, but a much deeper film hidden beneath the veil. This film isn't for everyone, as demonstrated by the negative reviews complaining about how boring it is, but I absolutely love it and recommend it to viewers who wish to see an underrated gem that is as touching and memorable as this film. It's a superb film that deserves more attention.
½ August 1, 2012
I don't know what to say about this film...
May 17, 2012
Worth it just to see all the veteran actors. Lillian Gish was great and also a great.
½ March 10, 2012
Not a bad film, though a bit slow and choppy in places. But it has its heart in the right place trying to be as true to the play it's based off of as it could be, giving you an interesting look into the lives of older people and the importance of family.
½ January 26, 2012
The definition of torture!
½ December 22, 2011
Beautiful and sensitive movie.
½ August 18, 2011
For a film with three undisputed legends in it, it's not very good. It's slow and the plot never shows up. Granted, there is some good, and that's Lillian Gish, who at age 93 is really good, but good can only go so far when the film is about nothing.
July 26, 2011
One of my favorite films. The legendary actors do not disappoint in this gentle drama about the end of life and finding redemption and forgiveness with those you love.
February 6, 2011
This stuffy drama will interest anyone who likes movies about the elderly, but other wise, I'd say stay away from it. It's very boring, slow, and by the middle, I didn't care about the story anymore.
July 28, 2010
If you love dramas with old people sitting around talking about old people stuff, you will love this movie. Unfortunately that isn't my idea of a good time, so I was totally bored with this movie, I didn't even watch the whole thing. I wanted to see Vincent Price, I love him, but his character didn't seem to add much to the story anyway.
July 20, 2010
it felt unfinished and rushed... but man if it weren't for bette davis's voice i would not have known it was her.
½ July 15, 2010
Betty Davis will astound you one last time here in this unusual drama.The problems facing us as we grow old are not so easily brushed away sometimes. This movie brings it to light quite well.