What Alice Found - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

What Alice Found Reviews

February 6, 2016
Coming-of-age film with a scenery-chewing performance by Ivey.
February 17, 2012
Kinda makes me want to take to the open road (just not as a truck-stop hussy). Wait, Pete from Pete and Pete is in here-awesome!
December 27, 2011
I liked this movie because I didn't really know what was going to happen next.
August 9, 2011
The movie offers anything unique enough to counter that it will be a must see film. The story about on how a poor young woman (Emily Grace) has been recruited by a friendly couple traveling with their bus to become part of the dark world of truck stop prostitution.
They showcases some of the best elements of a low budget real-life drama. Pretty weird movie. Great acting!! This was very convincing and actually sort of frightening you might encounter some illegal recruiters that offer the same shit like this. I cried. My side was hurt for a sec., thinking if that will happen to me. It will leave you a hanging question, if bill and sandra were really a good samaritan. Surprisingly unpredictable film.
believe me, it's darling!
July 30, 2011
Everybody has to pay the bills, baby

Alice is a high school graduate that grew up in a single parent household with limited resources and a lack of direction. She sees all her friends leave her small town and head to college including her best friend who is attending Miami University. She decides to pick up and leave one day but she runs out of money and her car breaks down. A nice old couple picks her up in an RV and decides to help her on her way; however, the old couple may have additional intentions for her beyond being good samaritans.

"He's got a wife and kids."
"They all do."

Dean Bell, director of Backfire!, delivers What Alice Found. The storyline for this picture is outstanding and well delivered. The concept was unique and a pleasant addition to the drama genre. This picture definitely has an "Indie film" feel, but the end and storyline is unpredictable and creative. The acting is solid despite containing a cast with limited experience. The cast includes Emily Grace, Judith Ivey, Bill Raymond, and John Knox.

"I got a ride with some people."
"What people?"
"Some old farts."

I came across this film on the Independent Film Channel (IFC) while flicking through the channels and decided to DVR it. I was pleasantly surprised by the originality of this picture as well as the ultimate conclusion and the delivery of the characters. This is definitely a solid movie that is worth your time.

"God put women here to please men."

Grade: B+
½ June 17, 2011
not a bad movie. it was interesting to see this story play out. low-budget, but good story. i'd love to see a part 2 to see how things really panned out in Florida.
DrStrangeblog
½ May 24, 2011
Ultra low-budget yet effective road movie as Alice, an awkward "New Hampshah" teenager, travels to Florida with a seemingly normal Southern couple near their fifties. Except she comes to discover this 'normal' couple actually moonlights as mom & pop truck-stop hookers. Alice is running from her own troubles, and running low on money...

Often low-key and matter-of-fact with a distinctly unglamorous depiction of sex and an astute understanding of youthful minds. There were contrivances at a couple key turning points but nothing near a deal-breaker. I really liked how they alluded to the title's origin during a phonecall near the end, and the scene that summed up Alice's experiences after a week with this couple when she went to buy cigarettes and handed her I.D. to the cashier:

{Peering quizzically} "Is this supposed to be you?"
"Of course it's me."
{Shrugs, handing her I.D. back} "If you say so."
May 3, 2011
It's not free from the symptoms of this kind of indie micro-budget movie - too many bland indie rock songs on the soundtrack, an over-reliance on flashbacks, slightly over the top performances - but a solid character-driven story pulls it through. Nothing extraordinary, but a compelling little film.
½ April 21, 2011
What a piece of shit. The only word to describe this "film" is abysmal. Let's do the rundown. Acting: Atrocious. Writing: Amateur. Cinematography: Crap. Audio: Shit.

All appearances point to this "film" as being thrown together in a couple of days by a guy who had a video camera and decided he wanted to make a movie. It seems that no one involved in this production had any idea what they were doing.

There is no deep message here. There is no morale. There is no point and above all there is no redeeming quality.
April 20, 2011
good low-budget movie. The character portrayals feel honest.
½ January 23, 2011
What a nice surprise! I had my doubts that a low budget film about a lot lizard would be good, but I found this is an interesting movie. Good acting, and a good setting, made all the more real by the low budget filming. It is not slick, or insulting. Just a very nice character study. Very decent little Indie flick.
½ August 9, 2010
A gritty tale of a young woman who makes a series of bad choices and discovers that what she was running from wasn't as bad as she thought. The story is a bit predictable, the accents are phony, and the cinematography is low-budget all the way, but there is some gold here anyway. The characters are well drawn and the interaction amongst the husband (Bill Raymond) and wife (Emily Grace) truck stop team and the young girl (Judith Ivey) they befriend is actually somewhat nuanced. The lure of easy money proves capable of breaking down Alice's resistance and provides the means by which she eventually grows up. Not a deep, psychological study, just an entertaining, small, unpolished gem.
½ May 20, 2010
I saw this a few days ago. Interesting film, but basically a sub-par indie with an extreme shoe-string budget. All amateur acting. I found it to be a somewhat bland film. However, I guessing they probably made this film on like a thousand dollar budget and considering that it could have been a lot worse I guess.
March 23, 2010
What we find is a bleak, but interesting look into a world where the line is blurred between good people and bad. Judith Ivey's performance is the real jewel of the tonally challenged film.
November 8, 2009
Not really a good movie, but interesting. It is interesting how it is done and it's cheap feel, but the acting and writing is sub-par. If ur into that indie look and feel, you might like it.
July 21, 2009
Suspenseful Thriller..:)
January 10, 2009
i loveeeeeeeeee cheesy movies about heartbreaking topics like truck stop hookers, but the hooker had an annoying voice that made me actually not care that she was a truck hooker. i just wanted it to endddddddd. the ending is horrible btw.
March 10, 2008
A remake that stayed faithful to the original but with a higher budget for better actors, larger crew, and a better camera would be a great film. However, as it stands it is a good film that is unfortunately limited by budgetary constraints.
December 4, 2007
Hooker with a heart of gold, and on the road. An obdurate world forces impressionable Alice into a shady custody. Amateur hour, but all right.