What Happened to Kerouac? - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

What Happened to Kerouac? Reviews

½ June 10, 2012
What really struck me about the film is that when it was made in 1985, many of the key players in the beat story were still alive - Ginsberg, Corso, Herbert Hunkce, William Burroughs - they can never be interviewed again. Mike McClure still looks like a kid, Jan Kerouac was still with us, Joyce Johnson and Diane Di Prima aren't even middle-aged yet - this is as good as it's going to get, folks. And it's very very good.
January 29, 2011
A slightly unfocused documentary, but as a fan of the subject, I found it appealing anyway. There are great moments in some of the archive footage and interviews.
February 11, 2009
got a thing about his writing and the Beats
½ February 6, 2009
Interesting and enlightening to the times of the Beat generation but a few too many fruit-loops and wafflers for my liking! I guess that makes for a great doco though...but Corso was stupidly annoying.
January 27, 2009
the old footage of Kerouac drunk and openly mocking some pretentious british talk show host are great...otherwise no great revelations. Also the filmmaking itself just seemed amateurish.
January 24, 2009
Genius as a youth, but he didn't age well. Watching him read on the Steve Allen show in 1959 was a treat. Drunk and rambling on William F. Buckley Jr's Firing Line in 1968, not so much.
December 1, 2008
Great documentary, in turn inspiring and sad. loved the clips of Jack on the Steve Allen show, but the interview/discussion near the end of his life was too sad for words.
October 6, 2008
A sad, fantastic documentary on a writer that changed my life, my way of thinking, my way of writing.... without being too OTT and emotional.. but he did.

I thought the only criticism I could give, if I had to was it seemed slightly too focused on Corso and he was annoying... apart from that the appearances by Bourroughs and Ginsberg were legendary...absolutely worth anyones time if they are even remotely interesting in the Beat Gen....
July 27, 2008
peter made me watch this, and i really enjoyed it. particularly gregory corso's extreme close up and the concern he expresses about the fact that the clip mic on his leather vest draws attention away from his wolf pin. really interesting. outside of my dealings with peter, i think of the beats very infrequently since high school/college. i still believe in revision, though.
May 26, 2008
I usually prefer when a documentary lets the people involved speak for themselves. This also has some neat footage of Kerouac drunk on a interview show. Still compelling.
May 10, 2008
The most credible documentary on my favorite writer... Tons of interviews with the people who mattered most to the author... Allen Ginsberg, Lawrence Ferlinghetti, Neal Cassady, William Burroughs, Gary Snyder, Herbert Hunke, Gregory Corso, Michael McClure... you name it, all the Beat legends speak in their own words about the life and times of one the worlds greatest adventurers
April 27, 2008
how stunningly beautiful is to watch and listen kerouac read his own book. this movie is worth watching just for his performance, which makes u understand immediately why he was such a unique writer.
April 19, 2008
Kerouac sucks, and no one cares about his lame ideas any more.
March 10, 2008
I'm a huge Kerouac fan and can only recommend this documentary to all you Kerouac readers out there.
½ February 24, 2008
Kerouac is pretty cool, so the story alone makes it an ok movie. Unfortunately it is very dated. And bad. There are some interesting scenes, but it fails at keeping your attention.
January 15, 2008
I've been all hot for documentaries lately so I really wanted to check this one out, being as it focused on Jack Kerouac, a favourite writer of mine and a leader of the storied Beat generation in America during the 40s and 50s. The film alternates between interviews with the people (mostly other writers of the same generation) who knew him best including Allen Ginsberg, Gregory Corso, and William S. Burroughs, it also operates with still photographs and some film footage, and (thankfully) represents well Jack's actual writing by including several recordings of him reading passages of prose and poetry, set to various images indicative of his middle-class American background. What Happened to Kerouac isn't an exceptionally well-made documentary, but it is effective in what it tries to do and respectful to its subject. The interviews are all insightful and the accounts they give of living with Jack are often very entertaining. It's great to hear the recordings included - Kerouac's writing an undeniably rhythmic, free-flowing nature that comes across in his jazzy, energetic reading of it. This is a documentary anyone should see who is a fan or has read any of Kerouac's work, or is interested the Beat generation (and how can one not be, really?), but there's not much here for anyone else.
December 22, 2007
rare look at kerouac with interviews with other beats and folks who knew him. also rare footage of him on television. nice monk soundtrack. this is not the most polished documentary but the best i've seen and done with love.
November 25, 2007
about the beat writer Jack Kerouac....see the lost picture and hear his vocie....
November 2, 2007
Might be interesting.
October 15, 2007
live footage of Neal Cassidy, Gregory Corso, Allen Ginsberg, William S. Burroughs, and many more.