What Maisie Knew - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

What Maisie Knew Reviews

½ September 13, 2015
Strong statement without many words.
August 30, 2015
Great perspective of a child's view on divorce and touching as well.
½ August 25, 2015
Waiting for the day in cui andrņ a vivere nella casa sulla spiaggia con Alexander Skarsgard e Joanna Vanderham
August 15, 2015
Sentimental child as king, parents as infants parable which while leaving messy reality at the door nonetheless draws us in to its fairytale world so that we hope it will have the happy ending that ought to elude it.
½ July 18, 2015
Poor Maisie. She's a sweet, loving, precocious girl (played with an adorable tenderness by Onata Aprile) who happen to be in a very messy situation. Her parents (rockstar Julianne Moore and always distant Steve Coogan) are at odds with each other. They swear and shout right in front of their daughter. They neglect her and take turns trying to infuriate each other. So what's a girl to do when her recently divorced parents marry two strangers (Alexander Skarsgard and Joanna Vanderham) who happen to be far more affectionate and doting on the girl than her selfish parents ever were? Adopt both strangers and make them her new parents, that's what! Or at least that's how this sweet-natured, touching, and sometimes heartbreaking movie plays out. Aside from dealing with marriage failure, WHAT MAISIE KNEW also tackles subjects such as isolation, loneliness, and trauma. Without delving into saccharine territory, the movie somehow manages to make the viewer root for our young heroine while providing a tender touch to what could have been an otherwise harrowing story. This is a well-acted and intelligent film that I recommend quite highly, and while the R-rating is mainly due to the use of profanity, there's little else about the picture that I find objectionable.
½ July 3, 2015
like a punch to the gut
½ June 24, 2015
Albeit predictable, What Maisie Knew strives as a reflection on the effects of divorce on children. Featuring a very talented cast and a moving powerful story, What Maisie Knew earns itself an 8.5/10.
May 17, 2015
Brilliant! brilliant! brilliant! Raw and poignant portrayal of irresponsible parents and their sensitive child stuck in between their arrogance and selfishness. What Maisie Knew is truly one of the best family drama films I've seen in recent years. It's not an easy film to watch; there are tons of genuinely heartbreaking and frustrating moments throughout the 99-minute running time, but they never feel forced or stagy thanks to its empathetic direction and powerful performances. The camera is often at Maisie's eye level, emphasizing her perception. It's done with a great deal of tenderness and intelligence. Kudos to everyone who was involved in this project. What Maisie Knew is a captivating and deeply emotional drama. Absolutely wonderful!!
½ May 2, 2015
Regardless of its painstakingly slow pace, What Maisie Knew is a heartbreaking and emotional drama with solid performances and pleasant cinematography. Aprile's commendable acting skills made it very easy to sympathize with her and get infuriated with her selfish, neglectful parents; played be Moore and Coogan.
May 2, 2015
The film carries the emotional struggle of little girl to find settlement in the midst of a custody battle. Amazing performances by the entire cast and a flawless directing that really delivered the emotion it intended to.
April 18, 2015
Maisie is undeniably a prominent sweetheart. I would take her into my arms in a heartbeat. It's heartbreaking to see a character like her involuntarily deal with distasteful complications of adult life.
March 15, 2015
great movie ! made me cry !
½ March 6, 2015
A masterful film that makes you feel, Maisie injects you with an overdose of anger, sorrow, adoration, and hope. A near-perfect movie.
March 6, 2015
I was just waiting for this movie to make one little mistake through the whole thing and there wasn't a single one. It also made me tear more than any movie I've seen so far this year even if this one is from 2013. I can also say this is one of the most unique and special love stories you are ever likely to see. It's very sad at times but the rewards here are powerful and will stick with you for long after seeing this, I am sure. It's also all seen through the point of view of a 6 year year old girl (Onata Aprile) who is likely to be a huge star in the future in this most underrated performance as easily one of the most underrated films from 2013 as well.
½ February 17, 2015
wth was that ending?
January 26, 2015
A flower in the dustbin
January 24, 2015
What a charming little girl ^^ I love how Maisie love all the people around her despite a horrible divorce process of her parents. And then suddenly the parents have their new spouse, a younger one, who later fall in love to each other because apparently Maisie's parents are the most selfish people on the planet. In the end she rather play/be with this couple (former nanny and new wife of her dad, new husband of her mom) than with her mom, but Maisie still Love her mom and dad of course..
January 20, 2015
"What Maisie Knew" reminded me of why film is one of the great loves of my life. It left me breathless; devastated, yet vindicated, smiling in one moment, and feeling like my heart has been ripped out the next. It shows you the unbiased complexity of humans, while asking that you take it as you will.
½ January 11, 2015
For once in cinematic history a child didn't completely ruin a movie (Jurassic Park). This is a great movie about how relationships (specifically parental ones) affect the lives of children. its very well directed and highly emotionally engaging. Given the background, the ending is a little too perfect, but overall its a great film.