What Women Want - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

What Women Want Reviews

½ November 28, 2015
Is it an accurate view of what women want?
November 7, 2015
The dance scene was worth it alone. Very charming and lovely. Hunt, Tomei, and Mel are fantastic. Many funny and emotional scenes that are great.
October 9, 2015
Terrible portrayal f women
August 25, 2015
What Women Want is a strong premise trapped inside mediocre execution as this concept is never taken to its full potential and the film is extremely old-fashioned and lazy in its depiction of how men and women think. This is a film I've seen marketed since I was young and was always curious about how well it would turn out and to my surprise it was even more absurd than I could have thought and not much worked for me. Mel Gibson is what holds this thing together with his incredible wit and effortless charm, but even he seems to be embarrassed to be a part of this. The problem here is that the film takes no chances and settles for the fluffy, predictable man-and-woman-at-odds-fall-in-love trope and it was as routine as it gets. It's surprising this was helmed by a female director as the shallowness of the character's thoughts and the treatment of its female characters made the film feel like it was made in the 50s. It's completely harmless and has a chuckle every once in a while, but it never takes advantage of its comedic opportunities and it's too silly for its own good (at one point he's able to hear a female dog's thoughts...).
½ July 19, 2015
A pleasure to watch the Mel Gibson I always loved: handsome, sassy, humorous, physical. Helen Hunt is a good sparring partner to his antics in this delightful romantic comedy. It's light and entertaining but come on, totally implausible and unbelievable to think a man could ever fully understand a woman. It's only a fairy tale, after all.
July 15, 2015
I usually associate Mel Gibson with Lethal Weapon and Braveheart but here he proves this incredible range with his superb comic performance. There are so many funny and touching scenes in this movie. Most of them are with Helen Hunt but the scene with Lola (Tomei) and the one with his daughter and her friends were also really good. The slightly off-kilter subplot with the suicidal intern is the only thing about this movie that could have been reworked or written out. Still this was a very entertaining movie.
June 3, 2015
Mel Gibson is charming, but not enough to carry this by the numbers Rom-com.
May 27, 2015
The cast is OK but this is just generic fluff.
½ April 15, 2015
After an accident, a male advertising executive is able to hear the thoughts of women. While certainly flawed, this has lots of laughs and is good fun with some real food for thought, and seeing Mel Gibson in pantyhose is worth the price of admission.
February 21, 2015
It's not easy to like Mel Gibson. How is it possible he was once the sexiest man alive? In this we get to see him wear pantyhose and red nail polish and electrocute himself a few times. It's worth watching for the gorgeous set designs.
½ January 21, 2015
Mel Gibson is good in this movie. He is so funny.
January 11, 2015
As a light romcom What Women Want's premise will earn plenty of laughs but as something of substance its writing is shallow and insight into both genders is limited with stereotypes.
December 15, 2014
(54%)
A throwback of sorts to the frothy romantic comedies of the 50's and 60's, only here it stars Mel Gibson and Helen Hunt rather than Cary Grant, Gregory Peck, Audrey Hepburn, or maybe even Marilyn Monroe. And it's not just the inclusion of swing music in the soundtrack, but also the general look and feel in which this is assembled together; also the mostly light-hearted nature and bubbly concept has a trace of a past period's charm. Gibson is on very good form here in the leading role in which he clearly put a lot of effort into, and the premise is used fairly well with enough humour and bite to the writing for the movie to never really bog down or become overly silly. At around 2 hours long it does stretch itself too far, and the parts dealing with a depressed co-worker drags the movie out and poorly fits in with everything else this has in terms of tone. For what it is, and how awful it could have been, this is a perfectly good entry into Gibson's filmography.
½ December 9, 2014
This is a great romantic comedy. Nancy Meyers hits gold again, Mel Gibson is at his best, and Helen Hunt is gorgeous.
½ November 18, 2014
The movie's good, but for a romantic comedy, it's not enough comedically romantic
November 12, 2014
November 11, 2014
A truly funny film!!
October 17, 2014
This movie is wortal seeing only because of Marisa Tomei
½ September 28, 2014
Really funny and lovely film and i didn't expect Mel Gibson to act the way he did but I have to say it made me laugh.
September 27, 2014
Pretty amusing actually, although the cliches are uncountable by the end of the film. Mel Gibson is a pretty good lead for the film and Helen hunt is excellent in her role as Darcy!