What Would Jesus Buy? - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

What Would Jesus Buy? Reviews

December 3, 2015
Shopocalypse is upon us! "you dont have to buy a gift to give a gift" - rev billy
December 24, 2013
looks interesting and, hopefully, eye-opening.
July 4, 2013
Great idea, but it would have been better as a regular "30 Days" episode.
March 7, 2013
anyone who thinks Disney is evil is an Idiot.
½ March 7, 2013
I liked it...I couldn't figure out if Reverend Billy is completely sincere in his evangelical preaching style or if it's supposed to be ironic. He seems to have a cult status with wise-ass college students, judging by the audience members at his appearances. Makes some good points in a criazzzy style. Worth a watch.
December 18, 2012
Available on Youtube. Converted to good quality video, though. Excellent stuff: the ideology, the bus crash, the exorcism at Walmart HQ, the Disneyland infiltration and much much more. What a man, Rev Billy - and what a choir. And what a message too. Watch this.
May 9, 2012
Bravo! Delicious blend of humor and outrage at America's dehumanizing consumerism. Using satire to shake and wake us this film is as entertaining as it is relevant.
April 10, 2012
funny insigtful documentary about consumerism during the holidays
December 31, 2011
I wish it were more informative on why all corporations are inherently evil and I wish it would explain a little more on why Disney is considered the apex of overconsumption (I blame their steady animated releases), but other than that, this documentary is something I've heard in liberal circles: that consumerism is actually really stupid and causes a lot of pain. Using a more-than-charismatic preacher and a gospel choir armed with anti-shopping songs and a penchant for exorcising the souls of millions of Americans out of corporations that shouldn't hog all of the money from America.

Also, there's a message about valuing the basic meaning of the winter solstice, but who cares about that? In Hollywood, it's all about trash! After all, we pay money to see half-assed sequels and films that rip off even better films. At least the "immoral indies" have messages we can agree on, like this movie and its call for America to step up its manufacturing game and alleviate the burden from third-world countries.

Also, I want to go to one of these Stop Shopping Choir performances.
½ August 12, 2011
Apparently, Jesus would buy many, many bottles of hair dye.
½ April 11, 2011
Kind of all over the place, but yes, Consumerism is evil.
½ March 17, 2011
I love Morgan Spurlock and Reverend Billy and the Church of Stop Shopping! Think they're doing good work.

"What Would Jesus Buy" is a documentary that examines the commercialization of Christmas in America and the negative effects it has on American consumers as well as the sweatshop workers who produce most of these products. Meanwhile, the good reverend and his gospel choir tour the country preaching the gospel of frugality and denounce the worship of products. They of course, get kicked out of or arrested at each place they enter. The reverend has even been banned form ever Starbucks in the country because of his antics. Also in true Spurlock fashion, this film has a comedic twist so that viewers are still entertained while informed.

WWJB isn't really an eye-opening documentary if you've already heard about the sweatshops that make shoes and most of the nation's clothing. And perhaps the saddest part of the film is when the choir read what critics have been saying about them. Some of the consumers interviewed even admitted that they didn't care where their products came from or who suffered making them, as long as they got their products. This doc is both hilarious and depressing but well done and worth the watch.
March 6, 2011
A good idea for a movie. At times it gets too involved with the performance art aspect of Reverend Billy and Church of Stop Shopping, that the message is diluted. Likewise, the film could use more facts and information designed to convince the audience that the message of the film is on target.

Another aspect of the film is that it may come off as extremist to some. Near the end, Reverend Billy asks the audience to halve the amount they spend on Christmas. Had he made such a statement towards the beginning of the film, he may have kept a larger audience with him through the film.
½ January 6, 2011
Before you shop for Christmas presents next time, shop for this movie, then share it with your friends and family...
½ January 1, 2011
Follow Reverend Billy (Talen) and The Church of Stop Shopping Gospel Choir as they travel the country urging people to "buy half as much (for your kids) and spend twice as much (as in time)" and to return Christmas to what is was "before the shopping". Fun to watch, though repetitive. I don't question his methods or his message, just his effectiveness.
December 25, 2010
The Christmas Movie To Watch (Now Showing on Netflix!!!!) WATCH TONIGHT!
December 22, 2010
far from being boring and judgmental, this is an engaging and funny film, grounded in compassion, kindness and humanity.

without being preachy, reverend billy of the church of stop shopping preaches the true meaning of christmas--love and peace. you don't have to be a christian to appreciate that.

this is one of my favorite holiday movies.
½ December 22, 2010
I'm not a big fan of in-your-face evangelism, even for this worthy cause, but the film does have a good message.
½ November 21, 2010
An excellent film about a hilarious and wonderful group of activists seeking to connect people to the systems that produce the goods they blindly buy.
½ November 10, 2010
This is an eye opening documentary revealing the psychotic addiction American consumers seem to have no control over. Although quite silly at times, this film really does open your eyes to the crazyness of the situation. I highly recommend viewing because not only is this documentary informative, it's entertaining too!