What's Cooking? - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

What's Cooking? Reviews

½ January 14, 2017
Fairly entertaining, and underrated. It has a certain charm to it, decent social commentary, and the way it executes a variety of struggles varying from each family depending on their ethnic and socioeconomic factors is pretty realistic and well done. The performances are solid, and it's paced well too. Sometimes it's a bit melodramatic, soap opera-esque and ultimately it's nothing blow away or entirely memorable, but What's Cooking? Is warm and seasoned enough to be enjoyed adequately.
½ January 16, 2016
Just not stong enough---Couldn't stay awake......
November 21, 2015
Too politically correct. If it were similar to the style of the original Blazing Saddles, it would have been hilarious.
January 27, 2014
all people can enjoy the movie. it's very diverse ethnically.
½ August 11, 2013
Although the beginning is rather slow and dull, the movie picks up around the middle, despite some major flaws--no way Kyra Sedgwick looks either Jewish or young enough to be pregnant. the long sections of food being passed around make this seem like a way of pointing out how piggish this holiday is rather than a time to be thankful, and the final disclosure is js a bit contrived. Although billed as a drama and comedy, there was very little comedy. Not the worst movie I've ever seen but certainly not the best by far. I liked New Year's Eve, which was built around a holiday and had many characters' stories far better.
½ July 10, 2013
Great idea, but much too long and round-a-bout film to get to the point.... and the ending was blah.
October 27, 2012
must see Thanksgiving Day movie!
½ July 16, 2012
What's cooking is Pure Genius, an outstanding achievement for both Director and actors.
People don't refer to food as Soulful for nothing, Chadha created a masterful film of diversity and realism about what Family really means.
I was blown away by it's raw edges and Noir humor. Most times when people direct films that inter-twine it usually fails to keep consistancy and the audience focused. I was gripped to my seat and completly intuned with each and every story.
May 13, 2012
A good movie with a very original script.
November 11, 2011
Super cool movie. I like how the different nationalities are represented and how they ultimately come together.
May 27, 2011
The acting was so-so..but a good family movie..alot of good looking food lol
May 2, 2011
Great actors, but not very interesting storyline. A little too stereotypical, a lot too trite and concocted. Entertaining enough to watch to its conclusion, but not a very satisfying movie in the end.
½ December 16, 2010
Stereotyping but still an enjoyable movie.
June 25, 2010
A cute holiday movie. Wasn't especially memorable but the cast was good and the writing was alright.
February 21, 2010
An episodemovie which is diverting.
I like the transitions of the episodes and the ending.
The movie is also suspenseful.
½ January 11, 2010
One of those holiday movies - a look at 4 different families coming together and dealing with different issues over Thanksgiving - made me hungry for turkey dinner!
December 13, 2009
Not much surprise at where this is going, but enjoyable all the same. Good T-day LA flick.
November 3, 2009
Lightweight family drama, with a huge ensemble cast and a hearty reliance on TV cliches.
September 21, 2009
At times happy, sad, and heartwrenching. The characters all felt very real, and the viewer sympathizes with them. Nobody was an over-the-top, stereotypical bigot, and nobody was a saint. Very enjoyable, I just wish there was a little bit more to connect the families, maybe at the end.
July 1, 2009