What's Love Got To Do With It? Reviews

• Jul 09, 2020

A smart script and great performances.

A smart script and great performances.

• Jun 16, 2020

Not all biographical films hit the mark. This one does. Incredible turn by Angela Bassett as Tina Turner.

• Jun 06, 2019

Very confronting and sad story of singer Tina Turner. Powerful lead performances from Laurence Fishbourne and Angela Bassett.

• May 08, 2019

The best inspiring movie ever made! With the best movie song ever sung: the title song!

• Jan 20, 2019

I'm biased, I love Tina Turner and usually don't go a month without listening to her music. When I saw the amazing performance of Angela Bassett I was floored. With ease she captured Tina's grace, charm and even that gruff style she sings with. Lawrence Fishburne plays Ike and has no problem challenging Bassett's performance. He is suave, sadistic and at the same time foul. Although I'm a big fan of the music I found myself less interested in the concert scenes and more engrossed in the trials and tribulations of Tina Turner's sparring with Ike. Now I'm going to say this without restraint and judge me as you see fit but the 1993 academy awards was a great injustice to the lead characters of this film. I challenge you to go back and watch The Piano (Holly Hunter) and The Fugitive (Tommy Lee Jones), then watch this. I dare anyone to justify to me how those two won the award over Basset and Fishburne. Don't get me wrong the other two are fine films and Hunter deserved nominations but Basset owned that award. As for Jones, he had been playing that character for years and still plays it, the character is just named differently in other films. This is a great movie and I highly recommend it to anyone out there.

• Dec 30, 2018

Very inspirational to me while going through the hell divorce was for my life in '80's. Tina Turner was a favorite performance artist I had followed since the 45" days with I & Tina Review.

• Carlos M Super Reviewer
    Nov 10, 2018

Angela Bassett looks nothing like the real Tina Turner physically, but it is really impressive how she embodies her character so perfectly, moving, singing and dancing just like her in this inspiring biography that also benefits from an astounding performance by Laurence Fishburne.

• Jul 26, 2018

I think is a good movie, especially because I don't like Tina Tuner at all, but still I've enjoyed it.

• Aug 26, 2017

Angela Bassett is amazing.

Angela Bassett is amazing.

• May 13, 2016

I gave the film 4 1/2 stars... it was splendid, very well filmed, unbelievable performasces by L. Fisbourne and A. Basset, but I trully believe that Angela Basset has no idea about performing a song, and she doesn't capture the "macho" sexy performance of Tina Turner on stage. She looks too theatrical and too pretend. But on the acting sequences she nails it :)