When Eight Bells Toll - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

When Eight Bells Toll Reviews

May 6, 2009
Decent 70's spy flick that doesnt rely on gadgets and gimmicks, unlike it's contemporaries at the time. Well acted, even though the storyline is hackneyed, and good action scenes in an early starrer for Sir Tony.
August 4, 2008
This was on Film4 yesterday. A young Anthony Hopkins and Robert Morley (not so young) sailing around the Scottish Highlands coast searching for gold bullion smugglers. Very good.
May 2, 2008
Ask your standard movie fan which Alistair MacLean adaptation they prefer and the vote would most likely be split between THE GUNS OF NAVARONE and WHERE EAGLES DARE, but, whilst I absolutely love the latter of those two, my personal favorite has been for many years WHEN EIGHT BELLS TOLL - a spy thriller penned by MacLean in the late 1960s and filmed with Anthony Hopkins in the lead role in 1971.
I saw the movie many years ago on British television and always longed to see it once more.
Watching it again after all these years my passion for this action adventure is unfailing, I consider this to be the best spy thriller that [Bond producers] EON Productions NEVER made.
With a simply superb cast that sees Hopkins joined by Robert Morley (as a rather snobbish boss) and Jack Hawkins (as a suspicious millionaire) this movie is simply brimming over with "Bondian" elements that include beautiful girls (bad and good), thrilling action, underwater battles, building suspense and a roaring soundtrack. It's the most entertaining couple of hours of spy thriller action that I have had the opportunity to enjoy in almost two decades.
Hopkins plays secret agent Calvert who travels to the coast of Scotland disguised as a marine biologist to investigate the disappearance of bullion ships in the Irish Sea. There he encounters a colorful array of characters, both friend and foe before a climactic battle in an underground boathouse.
February 10, 2008
Superb performan from Sir Anthony
February 7, 2008
I smiled how dated this film is, but still quite funny and entertaining
½ January 6, 2008
Oh my god, filmusikken raserer mye her, men kul story om moderne pirater på skotske kysten,mannefilm, damer kan heller se noe annet!!!
½ December 27, 2007
A cracking movie from the era of style, intrigue and special agents.
Grittier than later bonds, and more enjoyable for it.
worth seeing!
November 30, 2007
A bit mad, fights just seem to break out for no reason, crazy dialogue.
November 17, 2007
good spy movie with mediocre entertainment value. but sir hopkins is worth watching purely because of his genius in acting performances. note that he is young here, so his acting skills haven't peaked yet as supposed to Silence of the lambs. the other actors in the film does a good job though it feels a little bit like they worked a lot in the theater before venturing in to the movies.
½ October 14, 2007
Anthony Hopkins in his youth plays an excellent spy, great plot, I loved the book when I was about 10
September 23, 2007
A great Alistair McLean story with a young Anthony Hopkins in the lead role.
September 8, 2007
A rugged thriller for a rugged setting. Perhaps not the best Alistair McLean book to adapt but this is still entertaining enough and Anthony Hopkins is looking young and up for the action.
½ July 6, 2007
One of the best of these. I love the action Hopkins. He's very communicative in this.
June 12, 2007
I think I already saw it...