When a Stranger Calls Back - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

When a Stranger Calls Back Reviews

July 15, 2016
A sequel that's stays true to it's predecessor. This is scream queen Jill Schoelen's best performance to date.
½ March 6, 2016
Late but unneeded sequel that adds nothing to the original story, nor does it really add up to anything on its own. The twists are not too exciting, and the suspense is slow and dull. Forgettable.
February 23, 2016
made me jump a few times! all the action happened in the last 30 mins of the film....i wouldn't watch it again through
½ January 4, 2016
I think you have a wrong number.

A teenager about to be off to college is babysitting a couple of children when her phone goes out. That would be the night a stranger's car breaks down, down the road, and the stranger comes knocking at the door asking to use the phone. The teenager lies and claims to call the car club and a series of strange events occur that leaves her traumatized. Once at college years later, more strange events occur to the girl leading to the teen going to the police believing the man at the house is the man at her college. No one believes her except an expert who went through the same thing. The expert tries to help the girl overcome the fear of the stranger and potentially catch the man responsible...if he exists...

"You people are the real illusion."

Fred Walton, director of When a Stranger Calls, April Fool's Day, The Rosary Murders, I Saw What you Did, Trapped, The Price She Paid, and The Stepford Husbands, delivers When a Stranger Calls Back. The storyline for this is very average and barely worth following. The drama was unrealistic and painful at times as was the acting. The cast includes Carol Kane, Charles Durning, Jill Schoelen, and Babs Chula.

"They don't know you like I know you."

I saw this was on HBOGO and decided to watch this. This was fairly dreadful and very disappointing. There aren't many redeeming or worthwhile concepts here and most of the film felt like a reach. I recommend skipping this.

"You should get out of there...now."

Grade: D
June 8, 2015
With few tenuous connections to the original a more apt title might be - when a socially awkward ventriloquist doe some murders.
May 14, 2015
The first film has 20 minutes of pure terror, followed by a half hour of uneven filmmaking and storytelling before our heroine reappears for a final showdown with Mr. Have You Checked The Children? Here, Jill Johnson, once again played by Carol Kane (who is the highlight of this otherwise complete waste of time, as she is in almost every movie she's in, comedic or dramatic) is a school psychiatrist. (Strangely, her own husband and children who she fought to protect in the original are absent here. No mention of them whatsoever.) She comes across a familiar case: one of a former babysitter named Julia who found herself terrorized by an unknown stalker one fateful night, who took the children and disappeared. Now he's back, and Julia's at the end of her rope, until Jill and the now retired Detective John Clifford (Charles Durning, who looks every bit his age here) step in to save Julia's life. Until we meet the killer (who really deserves a better movie, because he is a fascinating little monster), the film tries to survive on the strengths of the great Carol Kane. But it's not enough to create and sustain a suspenseful mood. Overall, this was an unnecessary sequel. Carol Kane and the killer deserved to be in something better.
May 30, 2014
very creepy. scarier than the first one.
October 15, 2013
Great movie very Scary opening
½ June 30, 2013
I found the sequel, When a Stranger Calls Back, to be a bit more of a disappointment than anything. Granted that I'm not crazy for the original film, but it seems better crafted and better told than this one. This one feels more like a sequel that should have happened after the original film's success and not so many years later. Even the tagline is lame to me: "Before there was Scream, there was... the Stranger." That's very silly to me. I also find it both silly and sad that Carol Kane and Charles Durning had nothing better to do than star in a sequel to a mildly successful thriller that they were in fourteen years prior. The crew at Rifftrax recently did a run-through of the movie, but I fell asleep listening to their commentary on it. It's definitely not as effective as the original, especially the opening scene, but curiosity may get you on it.
March 3, 2013
The original is only slightly better than this awesome sequel! Once again the movie starts and ends great with a little dragging through the middle.
January 2, 2013
This was a good flick thats much better than the original. With lead actress Jill Schoelen is what makes the film fun.
½ August 19, 2012
Ok just saw it another job well done. Love how they decided not to make it a sequil and changed the whole concept on the stalker creepy as all hell if you ask me the thaught of someone else being right there with you without you knowing sick rendition. Any ways didn't like the fact that jill played again by (ms. Carol kane) was not married and had no kids because if you recall at the end of "when a stranger calls" she has a husband and 2 children this part they just seemed to skimp out on that and make it as if that never happened but above all an excellent psychological thriller if I do say so myself.
½ June 9, 2012
TV MOVIE. Above average sequel to When a Stranger Calls. Atmospheric and eerie. SHOWTIME 4/4/1993
April 21, 2012
Pretty alright. Mostly it's very telling how much Kevin Williamson took from this for Scream
March 9, 2012
it's interesting
not that much
but it's good if there's nothing else
October 15, 2011
I have seen this film and it kept me on the edge of my chair...IS good.
½ July 2, 2011
Made for TV sequel to the original movie (must have been cable because there is some nudity). The movie doesn't have as good of set up as the original, but it does have some parts that are rather interesting (if not completely unrealistic). The weirdest thing is that it sort of a sequel but not really. It is as if the first part of When a Stranger Calls happened, but not the ending. It also leaves a ton of unanswered plot questions by the end.
May 2, 2011
I saw the remake, original and now I watched the sequel.

What I did like. The beginning scene is very creepy. This first scene defiantly made the movie for me. It was better then the first movie's opening scene. Also I really liked the "stranger" person in this one. He was creepier than the last person. He had a friendly voice but after awhile it got very scary. He was very different and complex which I liked. The movie totally plays with your paranoia. The ending was also very creepy too and scary. I also liked that they were able to bring in the other two characters from the first film in. So I was a little surprised of this film even though it wasn't the best.

What I didn't like. So one HUGE problem I had with movie is that there was no calling at all. The most he did with phones was disconnect them. There was also some plot holes with the very end, but I can't say them without giving it away. Also with the beginning and end being great the middle was quite boring like the first movie... which made it hard to watch.

Overall the movie was just as good as the first to me.
January 11, 2011
ONE OF THE MOST SCARY MOVIES I'VE EVER SEEN WATCHED IT YRS AGO WHEN I USED TO BABYSIT. THEY RUINED THE LATEST VERSION BY SHOWING U HOW THE MURDER GETS IN THE HOUSE. THE ORIGINAL FIRST 2 MOVIES I RATE 2 THUMBS UP
½ October 23, 2010
before scream there was this one.