Otac na Sluzbenom Putu (When Father Was Away on Business) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Otac na Sluzbenom Putu (When Father Was Away on Business) Reviews

March 1, 2009
Papa' e' in viaggio di affari
½ February 11, 2009
I didn't like it as much as I enjoyed Underground, but it was greatly written, acted and directed nonetheless. I just wish it would have been a bit more sarcastic than tragic.
November 16, 2008
Une relique de l'epoque yougoslave
September 10, 2008
When "Kusturica" gets a gloomy and desperate mode without losing his sense of humor, producing such a dark drama on the edge of melodrama, full of warm emotions and funny moments, though.

Here he presented promising skills in guiding his characters either in terms of the written or performed, beside many beautiful shots lighted with Lamp indoors and sunlight outdoors, all watched were matching with the decorations, and made it special. But he overused a single musical theme in the 1st half then he suddenly gave it up, except in a rare moments, which were more convincing !!

Finally, i think the time line of the final copy (130 min.) could be a little bit shorter without making any difference, at the same time the wedding scene at the end of the film was marvelous, with a unique rhythm and development.
½ September 5, 2008
in my opinion this brilliant movie's magic has reserved its own universal story. kusturica's wonderful casts and besides his directing moves this film to our minds and hearts.
½ September 1, 2008
Ranks with the 400 Blows as one of the great world-seen-through-the-eyes-of-a-child films. A sleepwalking kid who, while awake, sees more keenly and curiously than most adults.
½ August 29, 2008
Du Kusturica engagé, drôle, lunatique, rêveur, traumatisé. Du Kusturica comme on aime en fait.
August 23, 2008
One word : wonderful.
½ August 8, 2008
Personally, this has little to do with the politics of Yugoslavia during Tito-Stalin breakup, but more on adult world vs. child subjectivity. I am not sure whether the dynamics of Mesha's family can be considered a commentary on Titoism or not for I've little knowledge on the matter. Nevertheless, assuming the film's supposed
to blur the the adult world's "right & wrong" in a child's eyes, it wasn't brilliant enough.
August 4, 2008
Charming... must see.
July 20, 2008
Kustirica knows how to create great performances and bring a bizarre and intriguing story to life.
½ June 30, 2008
Kusturica..at his driest...he disposes all his satire..and gives in to his idea of reality...
June 27, 2008
I'm sorry. It's a great story indeed, but Kusturica's style is just too messy for me.
May 27, 2008
Excellent film de Kusturica, grave et émouvant qui dépeint à merveille la Yougoslavie des années 50 à travers les yeux d'un petit garçon. Le réalisateur n'est pas encore à maturité, mais tous les thèmes qui lui sont chers sont déjà présents. Une ébauche réussie de ces films à venir.
½ May 24, 2008
pas facile d'etre precis avec ce systeme d'evaluation cinq etoiles...
May 14, 2008
Kusturica est un grand artiste ! Toute sa filmographie vaut la peine d'être vue.
May 14, 2008
Recomedable...buena historia y excelente musica!
½ May 8, 2008
Classic Kusturica. One of his earlier films and yet one of his best.
April 26, 2008
Der Film berührt sehr stark die Bereiche in mir, die durch meiner Herkunft gekennzeichnet sind.
Eine interessante Rückschau auf die ?ra des Titoismus in meinem Leben.
½ March 25, 2008
Well, I surely wasn't blown away with the Palm D'Or winner by Kusturica, but it is a very good movie. Miki Manojlovic and Mira Karanovic have great chemistry, and the movie is very believable and realistic. However, it still gets pretty boring for me, and I'm really starting to thing that Kusturica is not exactly my cup of tea.