When Nietzsche Wept - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

When Nietzsche Wept Reviews

September 3, 2010
As I can see, it was way too much complicated for nothing at last!
August 23, 2010
Poor production but very good story as a complement after reading the book.
August 10, 2010
I'm told the film follows the storyline of the book quite faithfully, although neither the book nor the movie is based entirely on reality.
I need to read the book.
½ July 9, 2010
Frankly I hadn't seen Assante fit for Nietzsche's part, but, in spite of his Italian accant he fought to hide, he did a very good job expressing the inner conflicts and drama of the bright philosopher who was ahead of those times.... The intensity of the dreams (nightmares) is well screened as well as the debates between Breuer and Nietzsche. Freud was, however kept aside somehow, it seemed a character without enough force, which he definitely wasn't, even as a young man...
½ June 7, 2010
Beautifully shot and well acted. Who cares about the book. This film is a stand alone masterpiece of its own work in time. Not only does it have a history lesson, but it helps understand ourselves as metaphysical beings through philosophy and psychology.
May 18, 2010
Awful adaptation to such a brilliant novel. It makes it appear like it's fluff when it's not. The novel has such a dark quality to it with it's complexities about obsession to the point of madness. It just doesn't capture the spirit of that intricate plot device at all. If it weren't so cheesed up, it could have been so much better. It felt like such a lifetime movie. I only gave it 2 stars for Assante, who unfortunately was the only one who deserves credit for his acting. Just skip this and read the novel instead. It's truly great. Trust me on this.
May 12, 2010
When Nietzsche WeptÔ?? prezinta o posibila perioada din viata lui Nietszche...este un film despre jocuri de roluri foarte interesant.
½ May 8, 2010
watch this film is the best way to see Nietzsche from difference side.
½ April 27, 2010
kitab─▒ ile filmi k─▒yaslanmamal─▒d─▒r. bence b├Âyle bir kitab─▒ filme uyarlamak bile ba┼?tan yap─▒lm─▒┼? bir hatad─▒r. nietzsche ile josef breuer'─▒n kar┼?─▒l─▒kl─▒ hamleleri, kitab─▒n belki de en ├Ânemli k─▒s─▒mlar─▒ olan ve onu bir ba┼? ucu eseri yapan karakterlerin zihinlerindeki d├╝┼?├╝nceler, korkular, planlanan ad─▒mlar, i├ž d├╝nyalar─▒na yolculuklar bir sinema filminde anlat─▒lamazd─▒. bu anlamda film, "anlat─▒lsa nas─▒l olur"un cevab─▒ belki ama kitaptan fersah fersah geride.
_d├╝┼?├╝nceler duygular─▒m─▒z─▒n g├Âlgesidir; ama her zaman daha karanl─▒k , daha bo┼? ve daha sade.
_y─▒─?─▒nlar ┼?ehvet yala─?─▒ndan beslenen domuzlar gibi bir ya┼?am s├╝rerler.
_dans eden bir y─▒ld─▒z do─?urmak isteyen , ├Âce kendi i├žinde b├╝y├╝k ta┼?k─▒nl─▒klar ve kaos ya┼?amak zorundad─▒r.
½ April 3, 2010
not good enough. the accent was fake, the russian was crazy, bad casting, the story wasn't exactly catchy or anything. just the fact that it was about the life of nietzsche made me watch it
March 23, 2010
.... perfecta pelicula... ZARATHUSTRA.. FREUD.. SALOME.. NIETZSCHE
... nesecitas algo mas ????
½ February 1, 2010
i loved the movie. they rarely make 'em like that anymore. great acting too.
½ January 15, 2010
Read the book. Too much "acting" going on here and the fantasy sequences are a mistake.
December 12, 2009
Started off kinda slow, but got interesting about a quarter of the way in. If you're into Nietzsche or Freud I would suggest watching this. I think it is pretty accurate on what it portrays from my knowledge.
½ November 24, 2009
The book was more enjoyable...
November 15, 2009
oooh well. the actors are rather bad, as are the dubbing, and the dialogues, and pretty much everything. sure, it's an independent movie, but come on. next time, pick a simpler story to film.

i'm still gonna read the book, though.
½ November 5, 2009
Excelente pelicula. Con pensamientos y frases muy interesantes que invitan a reflexionar. Quizas para algunos pueda ser aburrida, pero para los que les gusta la psicologia la recomiendo...Narra los inicios del Psicoanálisis.
½ September 13, 2009
13/09/09
"We Are More In Love With Desire Than The Desired."
½ September 12, 2009
I coudn't wach at the screen after 5 minutes. The actors are horrible, and it just tries to sell a pseudo romantic story packed with pseudo philosophy and taken out of context quotes from Nietzche. If you like Nietsche and you like the Yalom Novel, don't watch this. It just hurts.
September 7, 2009
Despite it is not that bad, totally agree that the movie cannot compete with what the book symbolizes for the reader and what routes of thought it makes the reader enter into. And clearly the movie ignores the Nietzsche part of the story!