When Stand Up Stood Out - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

When Stand Up Stood Out Reviews

April 12, 2014
A documentary about the rise and fall of Boston stand-up scene. Interesting for a fan of comedy but to others it might be a bit boring. Could have been a bit more deeper look of the times and the people.
February 22, 2011
A good documentary on the Boston comedy scene of the early 80's. Some really good stories and some funny parts. Gives us a nice glimpse of the personalities and origins of the scene. Wish I could have seen more of the interviews with some of the comics on the special features.
½ April 5, 2010
They all started somewhere .. a decent look at where, when, brief touches on the why. The glory days of stand-up before the saturation of cable channels. I wanted more
½ January 11, 2010
Fun collection of old video footage of several famous funnymen before they were famous. As a documentary, it's mediocre, though.
½ June 11, 2009
I learned a lot and laughed a bit, but over all the flimmaker just seems like the kid who was never really a part of their group and this is his way to get in.
June 8, 2009
Fairly decent doc if you know nothing about stand up in the Boston area in the 80's, but it might be a little too skewed towards Boston. However, if you're a fan of standup you'll enjoy this, and might be turned on to other comics you've never heard of.
March 27, 2009
not enough denis leary.... lenny clarkes fuckin hilarious
February 27, 2009
it tells a great story and shows some great footage, but the technical aspect is nothing to be admired.
½ February 5, 2009
Here's what you need to know about this movie: It's a documentary ABOUT the stand-up comedy scene in Boston in the early 80s. It's NOT a collection of classic routines from Dennis Leary, Jeneane Garafolo, Bobcat Goldthwait and the like. It's mostly those folks reminiscing about the old days, along with a bunch of other comics I'd never heard of. If you know what it is going into it, you'll probably like it. If you're expecting a laugh-fest, you'll be disappointed.
July 8, 2008
Good comics - interesting stories. It was strangely touching... don't ask me why.
½ June 20, 2008
There are a lot of great stories about the Boston stand-up scene in the 1980s - as told in interviews by the comedians themselves, but this is a pretty mediocre documentary, with the production values of a Travel Channel show and an annoying director/narrator. For all the talk about stand-up comedy, there is very little actual stand-up.
June 13, 2008
I didn't know Lenny Clarke was such a big deal i the 80's. If it wasn't for Denis Leary, I'd have never even heard of him.
½ April 12, 2006
OUTSTANDING! A MUST SEE for fans of comedy and an heck of a ride for anyone who's a fan of Eighties Excess. The Boston Comedy Scene was just that, a scene. This documentary mixes old footage-- performance and backstage-- with recent interviews to take you right in the middle of what was going down. There are really funny comedians here, with familiar names like Dennis Leary and Steven Wright, but also some hilarious guys who were fixtures in New England, but never made it nationwide. And when you see all that they were doing (injesting), a lot of it makes sense. That sort of wild time could never repeat itself, but for a moment you can feel like you're living when the madmen ruled the asylum. Laugh, cry, be amazed they're still alive, and enjoy the ride.