When Trumpets Fade - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

When Trumpets Fade Reviews

½ February 20, 2016
Couldn't get past the first 15 mins of it cause the acting was just torture to watch. The whole thing felt super low budget like it was made in the 80's or something
February 16, 2016
The music is rotten. Otherwise, this is a fine war movie, and the opposite of much that was popular at the time outside of it being bloody. It is dark, cynical, and brutal. It was also done on the cheap, but still pulls it off nicely.
fpb
January 31, 2016
What an excellent movie, well produced and acted. For me, Zac Orth, who plays a rookie combatant named Sanderson, is the best actor. He makes you feel Sandersons fear when, knowing that he will be almost certainly mowed down by Germans, he runs rampage with a flame thrower amongst them, screaming with false bravado. Many soldiers become heroes out of desperation and fear and the film portrays this fact very well. I regard this as one the best ever war movies. Spiderman fans should not watch this as there is too much reality.
½ November 30, 2015
Not a war film per say but a film about war. Saving Private Ryan before Saving Private Ryan. But better. Lower production values don't hinder this film at all. Great script. Great plot. Great execution. Gritty presentation. Complex and nuanced look at war not often seen in film. A more balanced slice of war than the overtly overly-patriotic films most commonly made and it makes for fantastic viewing. Dave's character arc is enigmatic and compelling and forces a personal vestment in the picture instead of just watching the battles unfold. Easily one of my favorite war films.
November 29, 2015
Just rented this off Amazon. I'm pretty hard to please. If its not "Saving Private Ryan" I get antsey. When one soldier tells another soldier something like "get it together Marine" I lost it. If you can't get that right I don't want to risk watching anymore.
October 12, 2015
Good story, average movie.
½ September 7, 2015
Lousy acting. One of my least favorite war movies.
August 4, 2015
8/4/15 Amazon Prime

A good war story with some tense, realistic battle scenes that does a good job of capturing the fear, brutality and randomness of war. Especially liked the unexpected ending. Dialogue was pretty weak and the requisite poor leadership was there but otherwise good film.
½ July 25, 2015
Seems many miss the plot, as this movie questions "what is heroism?" and "what makes a leader?" As an Iraq veteran that has seen combat, I understand the feelings of almost every character on here. Band of Brothers is by far the best war series, but Trumpets Fade is one that stands out since I saw it when first released and the many times watched it since Unlike almost all war movies, I get something new every time I watch this. Granted the filming is sub-par, and the acting is lacking, but the story line and plot are what has me coming back. It discusses sometimes people are heroes out of necessity, but it does not take away from the heroism. Leadership and responsibility are things one does not chose for themselves, but is often thrust upon them. Though one might have low self-esteem and expectations from themselves, does not make others wrong in their potential and their abilities. Becoming a leader sometimes requires the right motivation. Being looked up to as a role model is not chosen by you, rather those that chose to follow you, whether you like it or not. Sometimes those that care too deeply cannot be heroes, and those that act like they care not for others truly do to protect themselves from falling apart.
I love this movie for its complexity rarely seen in war movies.
February 27, 2015
MY DAD WAS KILLED IN THE HURTEGAN FOR ST BATTLE ON NOV 2 1944. THE Y MA DE HIM SGT when he got there
October 27, 2014
in my top 5 war movies.
½ April 7, 2014
Another overlooked war movie that came out in 1998. Both this movie and The Thin Red Line are WWII movies covered up by the the huge sucsesses of Saving Private Ryan, which does deserve all the credit it gets because its in my opinion the greatest war movie ever made. But Thin Red Line and When Trumpts Fade really deserve more attention, for they are both great anti-war films. I'd say they are both better at showing how negative the soldiers point of view on the fighting was. The action in When Trumpets Fade is not really comparable in sound or violence to Saving Private Ryan, but it's more gory than The Thin Red Line. I would also say the plot and cinematography is better than The Thin Red Line. The acting is great, its filmed well and and I like how the movie starts and ends the same way. But The Thin Red Line is a better movie I'd say, but When Trumpets Fade is still a great war movie.
April 1, 2014
Among the 10 best WW2 movies.
March 25, 2013
I saw this on HBO when it 1st came on the TV back in the 90's

Was happy to see that it is now on DVD and is now added to my collection.
July 22, 2012
good plot, good performance from the cast. do not expect too much action as the film is more focus on the story telling.
July 13, 2012
Though it's pretty much just another typical World War II movie, it has good character development and a smart script.
½ June 27, 2012
You don't see edgy battle scenes here,but film is must to see and tells story of one infantry squad in a battle obscured by Hitler's Ardennes Offensive-the Battle of Hurtgenwald.

This is a battle which should be remembered.

This is what war is about!
½ February 13, 2012
Only saw this because it was a freebie that has a "cable movie" feel. A war movie that does a good job of showing some of the decisions involved in the face of war and likely death.
January 19, 2012
Loved the story, but wasn't so much amazed about the movie.
December 18, 2010