When Trumpets Fade - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

When Trumpets Fade Reviews

½ September 18, 2010
WHEN TRUMPETS FADE (1998)
½ September 5, 2010
A well done movie about a forgotten battle during WW2. Recommended!
August 12, 2010
I tuned into this movie about half way through and was instantly gripped. I don't normally like war movies, but this was a brilliant depiction of the fear, misery and destruction of war. Excellent acting and direction. I'm surprised I hadn't heard of it before. On a par with 'Saving Private Ryan' but much better.
June 12, 2010
If you like war movies this is superb. It is well acted and realistically done with a compelling story. The cast is well chosen also. I am fussy about my WW2 movies, but this is one of the best around.
½ June 7, 2010
the story was very good. the acting overall was poor Zak Orth was terrible and i hope he goes through acting school one more time but Ron Eldard was very good in it. even though the acting and battle scenes are not as good as SPR (saving private ryan) but i think its a better than SPR because its historicly acurite and not a hollywood war flick. it shows that the americans got there ass kicked in the battle of hurtgen forest.
½ May 25, 2010
Not up there but with a watch.
½ May 18, 2010
i only wish they would do a big movie budget of this battle, yeah,we lost the battle but i read the story of the Hutrgen Forrest"follow me and die" and it was a painful read.
½ May 16, 2010
Boring, slow with a host of characters you can't care about or empathize with...the CO played by Dwight Yoakum is loathsome and the budget must have been very low, but it does show that the Hurtgen was a bloody mess...
March 18, 2010
Intense and tight. Ron Eldard is very convincing as Manning, whatever his rank is ("I was a private three days ago.") It's refreshing that the movie stays in mind 10 minutes after the ending.
November 12, 2009
savas olayinin sacmaliklari iste... farkli birsey yok...
October 27, 2009
A decent war flick, you can definetely tell its an older flick but it was ok.
½ October 25, 2009
Although the film tends to insist that it's a war film, it is in fact a horror film in the first order. No real gripes about it except for the fact that some scenes creaped the s**t out of me and the fact that it gets kinda formulaic towards the end.
October 9, 2009
One of the best war movies I have seen... realistic and with a good screeplay..
October 2, 2009
Novemeber 1944: The Battle of the Hurtgen Forest grinds on, the tense trees. cold weather, fog, and the German defenses combining to make a muddy mess for the Americans in a battle at times remeniscent of the First World War. Private David Manning is ether a coward or possessed of a keen sense of self preservation depending on who you ask. Desperate to get a Section 8 Manning instead finds himself promoted to Sgt. and given command of a squad of green recruits. Manning searches for a way out before becoming one of the growing casualties.

Focusing on the little known Battle of the Hurtgen Forest (September 19 1944-Febuary 10 1945 making it the longest Battle in the history of the American Army and the longest on the Western Front), director John Irving focuses on Manning and his squad. Ron Eldrad gives a great performance as a soldier who desperatly wants to stay alive and leave the war behind, but who's very survival ensures that he is constently thrust into the forefront of the battle. Not the best war movie (basically made to cash in on its big brothers released the same year Saving Private Ryan and The Thin Red Line), but still features some good scenes and a great performance. If your into War movies check it out.
½ September 17, 2009
Only saw this because it was a freebie that has a "cable movie" feel. A war movie that does a good job of showing some of the decisions involved in the face of war and likely death.
½ July 12, 2009
A must see WWII movie.
½ July 8, 2009
In the local library I came across this very great WOII (US Army/German) movie, which is about the battle of the Hurgtenforest in November 1944.
Very breathtaking and thrilling movie... how come I haven't heared about it earlier. Some to watch if you like WO2 warmovies. This one would suite pretty good within the Band of Brothers mini-series if you would ask me.
½ June 21, 2009
A good flick for the budget it was under.
½ January 20, 2009
Ron Eldard is awesome as the reluctant protagonist. A great WW2 movie.