When Worlds Collide - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

When Worlds Collide Reviews

½ May 12, 2012
Ambitiously imaginative global disaster movie that dared to think massive when it comes to destruction. 50's movie logic rarely stands up to modern scrutiny, and none more so than here, but that doesn't matter because the moral tale of humanities struggle to survive is just so timeless. Social commentary and selfless acts abound with a backdrop of some iconic model work and hammy acting. The final scenes decidedly poor matte painting is one thing that all ways stood out for me in an otherwise brave and fine example of the genre.
April 19, 2012
enjoyable 50's sci fi with neat ideas and some good models and painted backdrops.worth a look.
March 3, 2012
A surprisingly intelligent disaster movie and a nice sci-fi gem from the 1950's. Despite the film's low budget, the special effects are quite spectacular and well done (with the exception of the end). The film's ensemble cast is also well rounded and each give respectable performances, with one of the standouts being Larry Keating. The scientific logic may be a little ridiculous, but the movie does a good job in presenting it in a believable manner and getting the audience to be empathetic towards the human character's efforts to save humanity from extinction. The main human character's enemy is time, and tension builds as doomsday draws nearer and nearer. Definitively one of the better sci-fi movies from the 1950's that still mostly holds up today.
½ January 28, 2012
One of the earliest and most amazing (for the time, of course) usages of special effects to "Destroy the World", such as tsunamis and volcanic floods.
½ June 14, 2011
Fanciful, even silly, but there's an earnestness to Pal's work which makes it last.
June 9, 2011
En stjärna och en planet rusar mot jorden. Planeten kommer missa men stjärnan kommer att utplåna den. Forskare börjar fixa med en "modern" noas ark där delar ur mänskligheten (alla kaukasiska amerikaner) och en del djur ska räddas genom att flyga en rymdraket till planeten som missade. Ganska tradig sci-fi med hyffsade effekter för att vara från '51. Kvasireligiösa undertoner är sällan roliga, och när de landar på den nya planeten så hörs kyrkokören i bakgrunden. Halleluja!
April 2, 2011
Excellent slice of 50's end-of-the-world sci-fi,
March 8, 2011
When Worlds Collide is a pretty cleverly-written sci-fi. Its plot is pretty basic,but unique,its acting is ok (somewhat wooden),and its effects are extremely great for the time being. The only other downside besides the acting,is the fact that it's not a sci-fi that holds a teenager's attention,like most old ones. Overall,ok only because of how it was made.
March 8, 2011
February 26, 2011
50s sci-fi movie. Cool The older movies seem to have more story in 30 minutes than current fare. When I looked up to see how much time had gone by I couldn't believe it was ONLY 30 minutes. Its funny to hear Planetary travel is only theoretical & everyone else thinks the guy is bonkers for suggesting it, so obviously a bit dated. C
½ February 8, 2011
Very good Sci-Fi cheese from 1951.
2012 just copied this with updated graphics and a more sweeping soundtrack.
But who doesn't appreciate early 50's cheese?
½ December 20, 2010
Doomsday! A whole bunch of archetypal 1950s white Americans get together to make their own Noah's Ark when a rogue heavenly body puts its sites on Earth. The movie looks good, and has some pretty cool special effects. Also, nice performances from a bunch of genre regulars. You could probably have a drinking game for every time the Bible is shown or referenced. It's a fun movie that kept reminding me of Things to Come. Though I think the final act would have been a more interesting place to start the film.
½ December 7, 2010
One of the first "Disaster Films".. Epic (at the time, of course;)
October 29, 2010
I know that this movie is not usually regarded as one of the classic or best sci-fi movies of the 50s, even the early 50s, but I think it's highly underrated. Give it a chance and see what you think. The special effects are really very spectacular, especially when you read about how they made the movie. The story has been seen in other movies, of course, but this movie gives you a new look at the end of Earth. This is one of my favourite sci-fi movies.
½ September 16, 2010
Pretty impressive, the movie 2012 has better visuals but not as good a story.
July 4, 2010
My mom used to talk about this film when I was a kid, that scene with the scientist in the wheelchair - blew her mind. I must concur with my mother, a striking visual Armageddon. A must see for the end-of-the-world buff. Includes a real armageddon.
May 28, 2010
Bei diesem, aus dem Anfang der 50er Jahre stammenden, Endzeitfilm ist die Erde dem Untergang geweiht, zwei riesige Planeten rasen auf die Erde zu und werden diese total kaputt machen. Da die Erde definitiv untergehen wird, werkelt ein Team fieberhaft an einer Rakete, mit der es auf dem Planeten der die Erde zerstŲren wird landen mŲchte, um dort weiter zu leben. Hossa, na wenn das mal nichts ist, dann weiŖ ich auch nicht mehr. Dieser Film ist recht charmant und hat fŁr die damalige Zeit wirklich groŖartige Effekte, dass die Story etwas bescheuert daher kommt, hat mich weniger gekŁmmert. Ich meine, wir produzieren 60 Jahre spšter noch immer komplett bescheuerte Endzeitszenarien, wieso soll man es nem Film aus dem Jahre 1951 also Łbel nehmen? Ich hatte bei When worlds collide definitiv meinen SpaŖ und wer ein Herz fŁr alte Sci-fi Filme hat, dem wird es nicht sehr viel anders gehen.
3/5
½ April 27, 2010
Give me this over Armageddon or Deep Impact any day of the week! The special effects may look cheesy compared to today's CGI, but at least some effort was put into the story!
½ March 11, 2010
Watch it for the amazing special effects. Not the plot. Skip all the "destroy the world" films that are spewing out of Hollywood and replace them with this marvel.