When You're Strange - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

When You're Strange Reviews

½ February 9, 2012
Interesting documentary on The Doors. Good, rare footage. Does seem fairly conventional in its delivery though, with Johnny Depp's narration seeming too dead-pan for such a controversial and flamboyant subject.
February 9, 2012
Awesome documentary!
½ February 7, 2012
I drink so I
can talk to assholes.
This includes me.
-Jim Morrison's poem

Documentaire trs bien ficel avec une bonne narration. On y montre principalement quel point la foule tait en feu, l'interaction souvent violente envers lui, et vice versa, ses excs...
January 11, 2012
Some says the era of "The phsycadelic like LSD open the doors of persception.
Jim name his band to one of William Blake poems. "The Doors" - If *the doors* of perception were cleansed everything would appear to me as it is: infinite.

What I'd like the most is when Morrison says :"like someone's not quite home or not quite relax. We're on a lot of things but not quite sure of everything." that was the time he's under acid and booze.

Plus it was narrated by Johnny Depp.
"Morrison is both innocent and profane. He is a rock and roll poet, dangerous and highly intellegent. No one has had this exact combination before."
December 26, 2011
Saw this on PBS. Very interesting documentary; what this flick doesn't mention are the years the surviving Doors released those two albums after Jim Morrison's death befor breaking up in 1973.
½ December 17, 2011
If your a Doors fan then you'll like this, you just will. The documentary comes at a different angle by having only one narrator(wonderfully done by Johnny Depp) and it doesn't contain a single interview, just footage of the band filmed between 1967-1971. Has footage of a short film by Morrison that is awesome. Contains some welcome new insights into the band. Not a great documentary its about The Doors and its well done, good enough for me.
December 17, 2011
?年?大????:)
½ December 17, 2011
Great subject piss poor execution.
½ November 8, 2011
Whether you buy into the Jim Morrison mythology or not, The Doors have left an iconic legacy in music history that has lasted far beyond their time. When You're Strange chronicles the rise and demise of The Doors; from earthly beginnings in the Whisky a Go-Go to all the way to The End. This loving assembled tribute explores the strange collection of individuals whose disparate musical influences made the band sound unique. When You're Strange offers a mesmerizing, behind-the-music glimpse at a crucial and bizarre moment in rock history, and maybe American culture. Although the portrait of social change in Sixties America may be sketchy, the film effectively states the case for Morrison as a charismatic, complex figure who lived fast, died young and left a lasting legacy. Insightful and beautifully filmed, When You're Strange is hauntingly poetic enlightenment that will devotionally captivate and engage.
November 1, 2011
Interesante documental sobre Jim Morrion, narrado por Jhonny Deep.
½ October 29, 2011
Love it because of the music but was too short which didnt allow for exploration into the band more. And it made me hate Pam for wanting Jim to quit the doors.
October 24, 2011
I think I would have gotten more out of it if I had more knowledge about this band to start with, but it was still pretty good. Jim Morrison is such a hottie.
October 18, 2011
ei varsinaisesti mitaan uutta tietoa, mutta dokkari on niin hyvin tehty etta tulee fiilis hakea pullo viskia ja fiilistella koko Doorsin tuotanto putkeen.
October 16, 2011
A splendid alternative to Oliver Stone's "The Doors". I loved every second of the movie, it shows the true Jim Morrison - the sensitive poet as well as his Alter Ego Jimbo. Live material is mixed with Jim Morrison's own movie "An American Prayer" which brings back Morrison looking back on his life and death, as if it all had been a big spoof with him still lingering around.
½ September 19, 2011
As with the Oliver Stone movie this is really a film about Jim Morrison rather than The Doors. Like that movie as well there are really no new revelations for even the passing fan. Interest is maintained however by some new footage and the cracking tunes, Depp meanwhile phones in the commentary.
August 6, 2011
awesome doc with AMAZING footage of true rock godz!
½ August 3, 2011
½ July 30, 2011
Not as in depth as I wanted it to be but it still gives Doors fans something to like and appreciate.
July 29, 2011
A must se for any Doors fan.

Specially 'cause there are some never before seen filming of Mr Morrison.........who lwanted to be a fillmaker prior to his music career.