Where Eagles Dare - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Where Eagles Dare Reviews

½ July 29, 2017
You ought to feel suspense, excitement every moment since you sit to watch. 5 thumbs up !
½ March 27, 2017
The film has great suspense and a good story. The action is well done and the cast is believable. The only problems I have are that it has a long running time and the blue screen effects (especially during the cable car scenes) are terrible.
March 26, 2017
An excellent WWII flick. The mission was impossible and delivers on tension, suspense and action and adventure, throughout. At times, the blue screens and non-German accents are annoying but overall Burton and Eastwood are the balls and the plot is full of twists and turns.
March 10, 2017
what a ridiculous waste of good film and back then it was film, silly non-stop Hollywood war violence pointless, a nap would have been better.
October 13, 2016
A great war film

9/10
September 24, 2016
For me, this is in my top 5 favourite ever movies. The cast, the storyline, the tension, the photography is surreal, and no matter how many times I've watched this film, I will continue to do so.
A classic thriller that is timeless and will forever be one of the best action films ever to be directed.
A must watch!
½ July 31, 2016
Slow enough to be a drama, fast at enough places to be an action movie but overall thrilling and gripping enough to be a spy/espionage movie - a lot unlike the Bond series. The plan enacted is so daring and unrealistic, it might actually succeed precisely because of that reason.
Good watch.
½ June 29, 2016
Some Parts Just Really Bugged Me, So 1. The Villains & Heroes Are All So a Polite To Each Other, Even When It Appears They're Being 'Mean'..2. They Seem To Escape From All Manner Of Cornering's & Capture...3. He Jumps Between Two Cable Cars Some 15-Metres Apart?? Over A 5-6km Gorge?? Other Than That, There Is Some Boring Monologue Sub-Plots That Ultimately Distract From What Coulda Been A More Finely Cut Action Piece Of Cinema.
March 18, 2016
WAS STUNTMAN IN THIS MOVIE 1
½ January 5, 2016
Suspenseful thriller with a stellar cast!
½ December 28, 2015
One of the best war movies of all time

I've grown into this one. I must admit that at first I didn't care about it too much, but suddenly I realized it's one of the best. Along with Great Escape, Guns Of Navarone, Great Escape etc.

Eagles is somewhat the opposite of Paths of Glory or Full Metal Jacket for example. Here war is no hell, but a huge adventure. The leading carracters (Burton & Eastwood) manage to invade a nazi military base, fool everybody and pile up hundreds of germans, before they flee into freedom. On paper, it's all nearly ridiculous.

But the wonders that modern cinema can do.. First of all, the plot is twisted as hell. I had to watch the "war room scene" at least three times before I got who double crossed who, and who they KLEIM TÜ BE! Although it's almost comedical how Burton & Eastwood survive from anything, there's still this sort of seriousness and excitement present the whole time. The duo kicks so much ass and are so goddamn brutal in everything they do, you just can't help but sit, watch and salute.

2h38min and there's no dull moment. Action is constant, excitement is constant, the carracters are brilliant ..yeah. How should I say this: If Clint Eastwood is left as a sidekick in an action movie, then how goddamn manly has the leading dude be? Well, here comes Richard Burton - In one of the greatest performances of his career for sure. He's a human dynamo, making brilliant, cool blooded decisions after another, slaying nazies like there's no tomorrow, and finally exposing the greatest traitor of them all.

Where Eagles Dare - A mankind's moment where war entertainment reached it's peak.
December 28, 2015
Where Eagles Dare is preposterous and overlong, and as a result an extremely difficult film to get through.
½ November 14, 2015
Few films about the Nazis are shot as a mountainous adventure action, but Where Eagles Dare not only accomplished the mission marvelously, but also served to be a classic spy film. The multi-twists are confusing, astonishing, mesmerizing and exhilarating eventually. I mean, you must have once doubted that Richard Burton is the villain right? The solution to the puzzle may look awkward and confusing at times, but at least it made much more sense than the dumb Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, which the plot is not even self-explanatory? As for the actions, with Clint Eastwood reprising his role in the Spaghetti Westerns as a tough guy with stunning marksmanship, the rarely seen cable car scene even for today, and the table scene which inspires Quentin Tarantino, how can you not love this unconventional Nazi thriller?
August 2, 2015
Truly Great War Epic!
½ April 23, 2015
It's just wrong, immoral to see Clint Eastwood playing the sidekick.
March 8, 2015
Buen film de acción, a pesar de tener escenas inverosimiles entretiene.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
Great war movie classics ,, maybe a bit slow sometimes and long and i like different parts more or less through the movie but still one of my fav.
December 18, 2014
"Broadsword calling Danny Boy!" Dick Burton huffs and puffs on the phone as Clint kills more Nazis than the rest of the allied forces put together in less than ten minutes. They chuck grenades at him. He flings them right back! They have machine guns. He has one under each arm! Sock it to Jerry, Clint.

This Alistair MacLean based barnstormer also boats a top notch cable-car scrap, the most incomprehensible "explanation" sequence in any war movie, and a brilliantly bad ginger Gestapo boo boy.
Ga'an on!
½ October 11, 2014
Richard Burton is grave and Clint Eastwood is laconic in this WWII spy thriller that is all about methodical action -- and keeping the viewer in the dark about what Burton knows. He's the leader of a special MI6 team sent to a remote castle stuck high in the Bavarian Alps to rescue a downed American general with special secrets that the Nazis will likely torture out of him. But things aren't particularly straightforward and you often need to wait for the next plot twist to get your bearings. Unfortunately, there are also some longueurs as certain actions (such as escaping the castle) simply take too long (across 2 1/2 hours). So, it's kind of like eating a big twisty pretzel: pretty tasty overall but a little bit dry in the middle and once it's gone, well, that's it.
½ August 25, 2014
Ännu en gammal klassiker som bör ha setts!