Where Soldiers Come From Reviews

• Apr 27, 2014

Heather Courtney's documentary achieves what The Hurt Locker set out to do; tell a truthful tale about the effect war has on its soldiers (and their families).

• Sep 01, 2013

A great documentary, that puts a human face on the faceless American soldiers that we see in the media, going off to war. Great to have it confirmed that they are not just mindless machines. Rather sad to see the difference between the young boys who go, and the men who come home.

• Randy T Super Reviewer
    Dec 14, 2012

Heather Courtney has the best of intentions, but her bias is unabashedly evident.

• Dec 11, 2012

The most wonderful thing about this documentary is the unadulterated honesty. It has no agenda. It has no outstanding message. It simply sets out to accurately chronicle the stories of several boys entering the military. As heart warming as it is heartbreaking. A must see, especially for anyone with any relation to the military.

• Nov 01, 2011

One of the best documentaries of the year.

One of the best documentaries of the year.

• Oct 08, 2011

A truly amazing look into what the war does upon the youth of the United States. In contrast to Restrepo, 'Where Soldiers Come From' shows a more common scenario for our troops over in Afghanistan. The film gives us a detailed look into the before & after psyche of these troops. Showing us that soldiers don't need bullets flying past their heads to become victims to the mental anguish of PTS. A brilliantly shot, and directed film by a devout documentarian.

• Sep 25, 2011

Amazing! Small towns and have great power!

Amazing! Small towns and have great power!

• Matthew L Super Reviewer
    Sep 03, 2011

Moving and insightful doc follows a group of childhood friends from Michigan who join the National Guard and are deployed to Afghanistan. No grand political statements here, no melodrama or manipulation, just a simple and haunting portrait of friends in war, and a powerful portrait of its damaging effects upon their return.

• Aug 07, 2011

Saw this at Traverse City Film Fest. Director Heather Courtney was on hand to tell about this powerful and thought-provoking story of how war nearly destroys the spirits of several Michigan friends who all joined the National Guard together.....and were sent to Afghanistan. The director followed with her camera.

• Jun 27, 2011

This is captivating and what it documents is important; our current-day fighting force and the toll of service on them. Engaging and extremely well-made; standout filmmaking. I hadn't expected, in a film driven by human characters, to see such good POV footage from Afghanistan, but there it is.