Where the Day Takes You - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Where the Day Takes You Reviews

March 14, 2010
A beautifully acted film full to the brim with the most amazing ensemble cast. Dermot Mulroney shines as King, the father-figure to a rag-tag, disparate group of street kids who have formed their own surrogate-family. Having escaped from unpleasant and unsatisfactory homes, these kids spend their time together on the streets of hollywood. King strives to protect them from the dangers which chase them - from drugs and theft to guns and prostitution- whilst casting about for some means of escape. He meets his possible salvation in Heather (Lara Flynn Boyle), a beautiful 17 yr old who has fled an abusive home and is introduced into the group by Brenda (a young Ricki Lake). King falls in love with Heather, but their happiness has many road-blocks.

This is a gritty,tragic, yet oddly beautiful drama which will touch your soul.
½ January 17, 2010
Quite a brilliant film that's been swept under the carpet for the most part. Dermot Mulroney turns in a fine portrayal as the coin-rolling "leader" of a group of teenage runaways doing what they can to survive living on the streets of Los Angeles. Drugs and prostitution pose as threats to most of the kids being that they seem to be the alternatives to them going back to live with their families, as well as the bureaucratic ideals that oppose this free- wheeling lifestyle which essentially fuels their need of being apart from what is considered to be the right way of going about their young existences.
This film is worth seeing for the brilliant character work by Dermot Mulroney alone, but has a cast that delivers quality performances such as Sean Astin's effective portrayal of a drug addicted teen.
December 16, 2009
I saw this looooong time ago and thinking it was good, but i need to see it again!
October 19, 2009
its about kids who think they can handle being on their own in the streets of la apprently 1st movie will smith was in its funny seeing the stars being that young in the movie back in the days
½ July 12, 2009
Not bad, not gripping but not bad. I think i originally watched this because i wanted at the time to see Will smith in a serious role.
½ June 21, 2009
A realistic look at the homeless population. Many good actors make this a entertaining flick.
½ May 31, 2009
The Ricki Lake fat jokes were sweet.
½ May 21, 2009
love the movie it's great to see because about teens running away and much more
½ May 11, 2009
It's well worth watching, despite the slightly gritty video quality. A friend made me watch this one day, and I really got into it.
March 12, 2009
i know i've seen this...but i don't remember a thing.
January 4, 2009
i love this movie and the fact that it has alot of melissa's song even more
December 25, 2008
i love this movie. I also love that it has Melissa Etheridge's songs.
December 5, 2008
this movie captured a time in my life..
October 11, 2008
my mom houze that iz great mom
September 30, 2008
Great movie a bit far fetched but you get to see alot of stars when they were striving thespians.
September 27, 2008
alls i got to say is awsome fu**en movie. hit it right on the nail(been their done that)
September 19, 2008
Fucking awesome my most favorite movie of all time. love the soundtrack I have seen this hundreds of times Its like the movie Kids but with a story line and some class love it
½ September 3, 2008
Urban drama about teen runaways on the streets of Hollywood features a dream cast of young actors (Will Smith makes his feature film debut here). Gritty juvenile delinquency film wants to be hard-hitting, but whenever something meaningful happens, the audience is subjected to tedious rock music by Melissa Etheridge and it becomes a music video. (She's credited with 5 songs on the soundtrack, but I defy anyone to tell them apart). Some nice performances, but ultimately a minor film.
August 25, 2008
LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT
August 21, 2008
Awesome awesome movie, was great to see alot of talented actors back when they were young and still trying to make a name. This movie is great, has an awesome storyline and has such an impact with the ending.