Where the Wild Things Are - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Where the Wild Things Are Reviews

June 18, 2016
Where the Wild Things are is a movie thats based of the children's book of the same name. This movie is about a boy who after getting into an argument with his mother he runs off and discovers (imagines) an island full of Wild Things. This movie captures the essence of child hood perfectly. The monsters are a persona of each of Maxs feelings and situations and perfectly captures how a lot of us were and felt when we were younger. The movie is rather dark for a kids movie yet has its lighthearted moments but the movies color pallet has its dark colors which fits great with the movies tone of moody and depressing. This movie surprisingly has a lot of emotion behind it and had a lot of tear jerker moments. The visuals are excellent with cgi as well as puppetry that make up the creatures. Overall Its a good movie to watch if you were ever read the book as a child as well as just an al around entertaining and fun yet sad movie. While it doesn't exactly go beat by beat of what occurs in the books its none the less a good adaptation for kids of today to enjoy as well as the adults who were read the book in their youth. 4/5
May 26, 2016
Takes a simple and upbeat childrens book and makes it into a sentimental film only adults will understand.
½ April 13, 2016
Oh my goddess, I remember watching this film back in Freshman year when I had Spanish class and it was just absolutely boring and terrible.

I didn't understand the plot and the kid acting like an animal or whatever in the beginning of the film was just what the actual hell to me. Throughout the film, I wasn't even paying attention and I had to sketch doodles in order to kill much time. This movie was just ugh, horrible!

Not worth watching it again. It's too confusing and boring to me. Just dumb.
April 9, 2016
Spike Jones knows how to capture the essence of a trouble kid' s mind and his childhood. It is very well made!
½ April 5, 2016
I don't know about this one. I somehow understand the boy's anger at the beginning but found the wild things rather imbeciles and creepy from the start. plus the lies were just too big and silly to have me hang on the film. Probably too english psychopathic for me. Not sure it would be good for kids either.
March 27, 2016
centered around the beloved childrens classic book. This is NOT a happy movie. very angry at times and young children might find it disturbing
March 12, 2016
Where the Wild Things Are is based on the children's book by Maurice Sendak, directed and co-written by Spike Jonze, and it stars Max Records in a story adaptation about a crazy kid who got in a fight with his mom, he ran away, and got in a boat to sail away. He come across an island, filled with monsters, and when they come towards Max, he tells them that he's king, and they basically just do whatever they want. I remember watching this in probably my pre-teen years, and I actually did liked it, but I wasn't quite sure why although I remembered how it got dark which I was fine with and didn't get nightmares. So I was watching a Nostalgia Critic video about the film, and how some people didn't like it, so I got to watch it again, and it's actually better than I thought of it. Max Records is really good as a kid actor, and the actors who play the monsters like James Gandolfini, Lauren Ambrose, Chris Cooper, Forest Whitaker, and some others are great in it. The costumes and the effects are very real and creative looking, and the story is really well thought out, even if it's based on a 40 page book. I find it fascinating that the island that the main kid is in, is pretty much his imagination, or his childhood, coming to life, and the monsters were somewhat his consciousness, like how he thinks of these monsters as either part of himself, his mom, dad, or sister, which you are not quite sure what they really represent, but it leads to your interpretation of it which I'm glad that it did. There are some dark moments that the little kids are going to be scared of, but the film doesn't make it too dark that it'll start to scar them for life. The script by Spike Jonze and Dave Eggers is very well written and the direction by Spike Jonze is very good. Where the Wild Things Are is a fantastic movie that has the spirit of the book, and it makes me think that he should also do justice to Dr. Seuss books.
March 10, 2016
A very underrated film.
February 15, 2016
Spike Jonze has proven himself worthy of acclaim in the past with films like being john malkovich and adaptation and hes proven himself after with her but in my opinion this is his finest work. No other film in history that i have seen embodies so well the mind set of a child and how their feelings effect their imagination. Yes there are parts that make no sense but i feel that it is done intentionally because as kids we feel and do things that make no sense which is why this film is so ,incredible. It takes it's source material which is like a 30 or so page childrens book and develops this complex, dramatic, emotionally in tune film the portrays some of the most realistic emotions and characters ive ever seen. Kids may not know whats going on and probably not even most adults but if your an analytical human being that loves digging into peoples emotions or a film buff in general i cannot recommend this enough.
½ February 14, 2016
I rarely walk out of a film. Thankfully this was free on some movie channel and so when I stopped and deleted it I didn't feel guilty for wasting money, though I definitely had wasted my valuable time. I so enjoyed this book when I was a kid and loved the artwork, though I always thought Max was a total creep, and would've been happier if the monsters had eaten him (yes, that's what I thought even as a kid when I first read it). But this film adaptation, while amazingly accurate visually, was so slow, the dialogue unnecessarily dragged out, the action ridiculously slow, that I simply couldn't take it. I think I might've made it a little over a half hour before I shut it off out of sheer disgust.
February 6, 2016
What a depressing mess. So much for being a family movie.
½ February 1, 2016
Where the Wild Things Are is a decent film. It is about a young boy who runs away from home and sails to an island filled with creatures that take him in as their king. Max Records and Forest Whitaker give good performances. The screenplay is a little slow in places but still entertaining. Spike Jonze did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the adventure and drama.
January 23, 2016
The movie only emphasizes what the book can't do and makes you realize exactly what imagination can simply do.
January 15, 2016
Does the book justice in every possible way. The dialogue is hilarious and represents the mind of a child exceptionally well. It's a good movie for kids, and a great one for the parents.
½ January 11, 2016
A poetical movie about how fantasy help children escaping the world. It seems a mix between The Neverending Story and Labyrinth (two movies i love, anyway, so it's a good thing to me). You have to watch it with child eyes and accept that the story is not totally logical (as it wouldn't be in a fairy tale or better in a child fantasy) and that at times the movie is a bit weird and even nightmarish. A metaphor, more than a movie, but very heartfelt and sweet.
January 4, 2016
A cute and touching film. The film has been criticized for being somewhat too talky and relationship-ish, and yes, the middle part lacks a certain moomentum, but the opening scene is perfect and the atmosphere of the film is simply awesome. Jonze's choice to use Henson Studio puppets instead of all-CGI works out perfectly: you can see and feel the haracters running, jumping and bumping into eachother.
½ January 1, 2016
Absolutely the worst movie I have ever seen in my life and I have seen some doozies.
December 31, 2015
This is a quaint and sweet tale of imagination, feeling misunderstood, and childhood hardship wrapped inside of a rousing and powerful adventure brimming with artistry like only Spike Jonze is fully capable of.
½ December 20, 2015
I pretty much spent 70% of this movie crying. Shocked it's so underrated. Oh and the costumes/special effects are some of the best I've seen in recent years. 4 1/2 out of 5.
December 18, 2015
A little too weird for me, but still really interesting to watch.