Where the Wild Things Are - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Where the Wild Things Are Reviews

½ April 5, 2016
I don't know about this one. I somehow understand the boy's anger at the beginning but found the wild things rather imbeciles and creepy from the start. plus the lies were just too big and silly to have me hang on the film. Probably too english psychopathic for me. Not sure it would be good for kids either.
March 27, 2016
centered around the beloved childrens classic book. This is NOT a happy movie. very angry at times and young children might find it disturbing
March 12, 2016
Where the Wild Things Are is based on the children's book by Maurice Sendak, directed and co-written by Spike Jonze, and it stars Max Records in a story adaptation about a crazy kid who got in a fight with his mom, he ran away, and got in a boat to sail away. He come across an island, filled with monsters, and when they come towards Max, he tells them that he's king, and they basically just do whatever they want. I remember watching this in probably my pre-teen years, and I actually did liked it, but I wasn't quite sure why although I remembered how it got dark which I was fine with and didn't get nightmares. So I was watching a Nostalgia Critic video about the film, and how some people didn't like it, so I got to watch it again, and it's actually better than I thought of it. Max Records is really good as a kid actor, and the actors who play the monsters like James Gandolfini, Lauren Ambrose, Chris Cooper, Forest Whitaker, and some others are great in it. The costumes and the effects are very real and creative looking, and the story is really well thought out, even if it's based on a 40 page book. I find it fascinating that the island that the main kid is in, is pretty much his imagination, or his childhood, coming to life, and the monsters were somewhat his consciousness, like how he thinks of these monsters as either part of himself, his mom, dad, or sister, which you are not quite sure what they really represent, but it leads to your interpretation of it which I'm glad that it did. There are some dark moments that the little kids are going to be scared of, but the film doesn't make it too dark that it'll start to scar them for life. The script by Spike Jonze and Dave Eggers is very well written and the direction by Spike Jonze is very good. Where the Wild Things Are is a fantastic movie that has the spirit of the book, and it makes me think that he should also do justice to Dr. Seuss books.
February 15, 2016
Spike Jonze has proven himself worthy of acclaim in the past with films like being john malkovich and adaptation and hes proven himself after with her but in my opinion this is his finest work. No other film in history that i have seen embodies so well the mind set of a child and how their feelings effect their imagination. Yes there are parts that make no sense but i feel that it is done intentionally because as kids we feel and do things that make no sense which is why this film is so ,incredible. It takes it's source material which is like a 30 or so page childrens book and develops this complex, dramatic, emotionally in tune film the portrays some of the most realistic emotions and characters ive ever seen. Kids may not know whats going on and probably not even most adults but if your an analytical human being that loves digging into peoples emotions or a film buff in general i cannot recommend this enough.
½ February 14, 2016
I rarely walk out of a film. Thankfully this was free on some movie channel and so when I stopped and deleted it I didn't feel guilty for wasting money, though I definitely had wasted my valuable time. I so enjoyed this book when I was a kid and loved the artwork, though I always thought Max was a total creep, and would've been happier if the monsters had eaten him (yes, that's what I thought even as a kid when I first read it). But this film adaptation, while amazingly accurate visually, was so slow, the dialogue unnecessarily dragged out, the action ridiculously slow, that I simply couldn't take it. I think I might've made it a little over a half hour before I shut it off out of sheer disgust.
February 6, 2016
What a depressing mess. So much for being a family movie.
½ February 1, 2016
Where the Wild Things Are is a decent film. It is about a young boy who runs away from home and sails to an island filled with creatures that take him in as their king. Max Records and Forest Whitaker give good performances. The screenplay is a little slow in places but still entertaining. Spike Jonze did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the adventure and drama.
January 23, 2016
The movie only emphasizes what the book can't do and makes you realize exactly what imagination can simply do.
January 15, 2016
Does the book justice in every possible way. The dialogue is hilarious and represents the mind of a child exceptionally well. It's a good movie for kids, and a great one for the parents.
½ January 11, 2016
A poetical movie about how fantasy help children escaping the world. It seems a mix between The Neverending Story and Labyrinth (two movies i love, anyway, so it's a good thing to me). You have to watch it with child eyes and accept that the story is not totally logical (as it wouldn't be in a fairy tale or better in a child fantasy) and that at times the movie is a bit weird and even nightmarish. A metaphor, more than a movie, but very heartfelt and sweet.
January 4, 2016
A cute and touching film. The film has been criticized for being somewhat too talky and relationship-ish, and yes, the middle part lacks a certain moomentum, but the opening scene is perfect and the atmosphere of the film is simply awesome. Jonze's choice to use Henson Studio puppets instead of all-CGI works out perfectly: you can see and feel the haracters running, jumping and bumping into eachother.
½ January 1, 2016
Absolutely the worst movie I have ever seen in my life and I have seen some doozies.
December 31, 2015
This is a quaint and sweet tale of imagination, feeling misunderstood, and childhood hardship wrapped inside of a rousing and powerful adventure brimming with artistry like only Spike Jonze is fully capable of.
½ December 20, 2015
I pretty much spent 70% of this movie crying. Shocked it's so underrated. Oh and the costumes/special effects are some of the best I've seen in recent years. 4 1/2 out of 5.
December 18, 2015
A little too weird for me, but still really interesting to watch.
November 30, 2015
"I'm max."

A film dedicated to discovering emotion. The beautiful story of a young boy. Made possible and incredible by Spike Jonze.
November 14, 2015
great movie but very sad and it reminds you alot of childhood
½ November 9, 2015
I just watch this, haven read the book as a child and it being one of my favorites, I thought I would really like it, but I didn't! The boy acted like a brat, the creatures acted like they were just insane! They weren't cute or even really funny! In the end it made very little sense and I found myself happy when it finally ended! It was boring for the most part, and disturbing the rest of the time! It seems it could have been done allot better!
November 4, 2015
third time posting this review flixter enough is enough
½ October 22, 2015
Spike Jonze must have had a broken childhood. The depression abounds and not really appropriate for children. It may help adult children of broken homes to relate or to empathize. As for me, I found it's overall appeal to match its dun colored motif.