Whipped - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Whipped Reviews

½ November 13, 2014
½ October 13, 2013
Three egotistical swingers, who think they're God's gift to women, end up having their friendships tested when all three of them pick up and start dating the same woman.

stars Amanda Peet, Brian Van Holt, Judah Domke, Zorie Barber, Jonathan Abrahams, Callie Thorne and Beth Ostrosky.

directed by Peter M. Cohen.
½ August 12, 2013
Outside of Judah Domke (who is hilarious), the film comes off as whiny, pretentious and, worst of all for a comedy, boring.
August 9, 2013
It's A Comedy! I Want That Movie 4 My Birthday!

And I Want To See The Blue 'R' Rating Screen!
½ April 12, 2013
If I could give this zero stars I would. Most likely the worst movie I've ever seen.
½ November 16, 2011
This movie goes on my top 20 list...of worst movies. Why did I waste a netflix queue spot on this. *starts crying*
November 15, 2011
The married guy is hilarious but the rest of the movie bites.
½ April 28, 2011
Every single goddamn attempted joke in this movie fails. Every single goddamn character in this movie is an irritating and inhuman waste of flesh. Every single shot in this movie made me angry. This movie was a Judd Apatow "wannabe" before Judd Apatow even got going.

Whipped stars four actors--Brian Van Holt, Judah Domke, Zorie Barber, and Jonathan Abrahams--as four incredibly selfish, incredibly sexist, and incredibly shallow human beings. I hated them the moment the started talking and inserted dick joke after dick joke. And not a single one of them is funny. This is a good example for all those people who complain that crude humor is too easy. Because it's not. This film clearly shows that crude humor has to be treated carefully in order to have any sense of coherence or decent funny reaction from the audience. Four guys sitting in a diner for twenty minutes talking about how awesome they are at having sex with women does not constitute good humor in my book.

And besides that, the film does nothing to redeem itself. The characters are so completely unlikeable in every scene that they're in that I could not care when or where or how or if they had sex with Amanda Pleet's character. I mean, the premise of the picture isn't too bad, I guess. Four self-centered womanizing buddies fall in love with the same woman. There are a lot of opportunities in there to make a great statement. But the film elects instead to just show these selfish, callous human beings for exactly what they are. The reason movies like Superbad and Knocked Up work so well is because we can really like and relate to the guys trying to get the girls, even if they are crude. That never happens here.

So, does this film have any redeeming factors? I'm about to surprise you: Yes. The very last scene of the film prevented me from putting this on my "Most Hated" list.

***Warning: Here There Be Spoilers***

During the very last scene--literally the last five minutes of the picture--the film begins to try to redeem itself. And to a degree, it does. How does it do this? By trying to balance out the great sexism it had been playing to the entire time. In the last scene, it is revealed that Amanda Pleet's character had purposefully tried to get the three men to fall in love with her just so she could "play" them. In other words, she was just as self-centered and callous as the other guys. This is a very interesting perspective--to have the girl be just as shallow as the guys to show exactly how shallow they are. It actually comes out to be a decent scene, but it does little to make me enjoy the other hour and fifteen minutes of the picture.

***

In spite of that scene, this movie is too irritating and too randomly sexist for me to enjoy. I hated most of the picture and disliked the characters to a degree that baffles even me. And plus, to add insult to injury, it's just not put together well. The editing is choppy, the camerawork is sloppy, and a lot of the direction is staged poorly at best.

And, of course, it is just plain UNFUNNY.
1/10
½ January 2, 2011
Bizarre, a bit sick and cynical
October 4, 2010
Had a few funny moments, but overall a letdown of a film.
½ August 5, 2010
Should've read this before buying: "Quite possibly the most insultingly stupid movie you will ever see. That's saying a lot, but Whipped earns this title through sheer, jaw-dropping narcissism." - Worst movie EVER.
½ May 8, 2010
Someone please explain to me why Amanda Peet is always playing a controlling, domineering bitch? Watch Saving Silverman and then watch this. I think the woman has control issues. I would reccomend staying away from her Venus Flytrap of a vagina. Seriously.
February 27, 2010
The married guy is hilarious but the rest of the movie bites.
½ January 7, 2010
got fed up of the language and all of it after 10minutes, i feel like taking a dump on it :D
½ December 3, 2009
The dialog was decent and witty. You kind of wanted more out of it once you saw what the whole story was about. The acting was not up to par at all. Out of the four main guys, only one really knew how to act. But it was ok.
½ October 12, 2009
Another Amanda Peet movie where she continues to plumb the depths of XY chromosomedom . . . I love her in this why did she always choose these projects with these execrable male characters ?
½ August 7, 2009
This was a cute movie even though one of the guys was suspect...He just kept giving off that gay vibe"
June 2, 2009
Amanda Peet's performance is a bright bulb on the dim marquee that is Whipped. Her performance mind you, not her character, in fact none of the characters are likeable really. It is a movie about adults but seems to be written by a teenager. The jokes are unfunny and the wrong kind of vulgar. Just mean spirited and unfunny...pointless film.
May 27, 2009
Should be a cult hit cuz it's that good!
½ April 24, 2009
I LOVE this movie, but almost everyone I show it to doesn't like it. It must be me, lol. I also don't like Amanda Peet, but she is ok in this.