Whipsaw - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Whipsaw Reviews

October 6, 2012
Splendid, but Powell would have been better. Tracy drags it down.
May 22, 2011
Whipsaw is a movie that isn't bad, but when watching it I got the feeling that it missed its calling as a screwball comedy. I wouldn't compare it to a Rhodes scholar flipping burgers but maybe more like a pro-wrestler working as a gym teacher. Myrna Loy and Spencer Tracy for the most part have the chemistry necessary to pull Whipsaw off. She's cute and Tracy has a few funny moments. Again, Whipsaw isn't a bad movie but definitely a misplaced one. But when you're done watching it you'll realize why you don't hear the title Whipsaw associated with either of these actors.
February 5, 2011
Terrific comedy with Spencer Tracey and the always fabulous Myrna Loy. They make a great pair, for a couple of actors who were half of their own respected screen pairs (Hepburn/Tracey and Powell/Loy). Not an all-time classic, but highly entertaining for classic film buffs.
June 2, 2010
My new favorite movie.
flixsterman
½ April 28, 2009
WHIPSAW: transitive verb to beset or victimize in two opposite ways at once, by a two-phase operation, or by the collusive action of two opponents

A man buys four very expensive pearls, not knowing that jewel thieves are plotting to steal them. The jewel thieves soon discover that a crime syndicate wants a piece of their action. The crime syndicate doesn't know that the jewel thieves are plotting to double-cross them. The thieves enlist the help of a beautiful woman. The beautiful woman doesn't know that she's secretly transporting the stolen pearls. She meets up with a crook who agrees to help her escape the syndicate thugs that are following her. The crook is actually a federal agent. The agent doesn't know that the beautiful woman knows that he is a federal agent. The jewel thieves think they're fooling the syndicate who thinks they're fooling the beautiful woman who thinks she's fooling the federal agent who thinks he's fooling the beautiful woman and the wheel goes round and round and round and....

I know this all sounds a bit convoluted, but in the end we're talking about Myrna Loy and Spencer Tracy. I don't know about you but I'd pay money to watch the two of them play checkers for an hour and a half.
December 4, 2008