Whisper of the Heart (Mimi wo sumaseba) (If You Listen Closely) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Whisper of the Heart (Mimi wo sumaseba) (If You Listen Closely) Reviews

April 20, 2015
Another happy-ending-Ghibli's-film that I love the most---after the Howl's. Though it's not so full of fantasies like Ghibli usual works but I really love the story and the flow how it goes...
April 13, 2015
One of my all time favorite films. Not just favorite Ghibli, but favorite films in general. Everything is so understated and subtle, from the characters to the music to the environmental and family themes. Love it, love it, love it.
April 1, 2015
Would really love to watch this on Japanese
March 21, 2015
Before leaving us, Kondo gave us this treasure of a film. Arigato.
March 16, 2015
This film makes me want to try a little harder at life.
½ March 10, 2015
Another Miyazaki film. What an emotional ride! I've never seen a film that so captured the experience of being a teenager; the innocence, the drama, the dreams, the puppy love, and the frustration of trying to decide what to do with life. It's very relaxed and slow, giving time for Suzuku to develop and for the audience to sympathize with her. It's focus on her desire to become a great writer feels like a love letter to all artists. Many artists feel so torn between the pressures of life, but still strive to keep their dream alive even when those closest to them tell them to stop wasting their time and be like everyone else. I saw a lot of myself in Suzuku. And her discovery that failure likely awaits those that are determined to do what is risky is just melting. If you're not into slow, calm movies, this isn't for you. There aren't any peaks where you say to yourself, "this is one of the greats". But for those of you that have the patience, there are plenty of gems to discover.
½ March 10, 2015
Evocatively sweet Japanese classic anime.
½ March 8, 2015
Really cute story, but no one needs to hear 14 year olds proposing to each other after knowing each other for 3 months max.
February 28, 2015
Another favorite couple has discovered. Tsukishima-Seiji pasangan yang bisa nyetel dan membawa alur cerita dengan pas gak bikin bosen. Peringkat ketiga di bawah Chihiro-Haku dan Ponyo-Sosuke.
January 9, 2015
It is the best film of a writer, the best I've seen.
½ January 8, 2015
its a meandering story that doesn't seem to go anywhere, but in a way, you really don't mind at all.
December 21, 2014
I could definitely see this appealing to younger teenagers and parents of younger teenagers. Whisper of the Heart is a good honest tale of a teenager trying to find a sense of identity while trying to figure out her future, and that's the main plot. It's a very relate-able story that most could imagine themselves in.
December 14, 2014
One of the cutest love stories I have ever seen in a movie!
December 10, 2014
It's not my type of movie-teenage romance-but I'm giving it five stars all the same, because it's about as perfect a story in this genre as you can have. It's soft, quiet, peaceful, and yet filled with an emotional storyline and a protagonist with whom we emote.
The only critique I have is that it just a little bit predictable, with the main male romance attraction. But that's okay; from what little I know, I think the kind of girls who would watch this would love it all the same.
December 7, 2014
Whisper of the Heart strips away the Ghibli regular features of fantasy and magic and makes them look like clutter, astounding with its highly detailed and organic cinematography and delivering a deeply moving narrative that will make you re-evaluate your own childhood dreams.
October 13, 2014
I really enjoyed this. It's a really sweet story and as ever wonderfully animated. I've seen lots of Studio Ghibli features now, and they never disappoint me!
September 28, 2014
Sou fŃ dos filmes do Hayao Miyazaki.
September 27, 2014
Incredibilmente non conoscevo questo film dello Studio Ghibli del 1995, scritto dallo stesso Miyazaki, e mi ci sono imbattuto per caso qualche giorno fa. Ennesimo capolavoro: se il target ideale sono i teenagers ne consiglio la visione a chiunque, Ŕ un film che ti riaccende la speranza e la fiducia nell'umanitÓ.
September 14, 2014
Review In A Nutshell:

At one point in our lives, we have all been lost. We stand on a crossroad, contemplating which one would lead us to our destination. During this point in our lives, we can't help but feel incompetent with ourselves as others we see that pass by us seem to be so sure on why they have chosen that particular path. It is the fear of disappointment and pain that prevents us from committing; therefore we stay on that one spot and procrastinate. To those that have made it, please don't be so hard on these lost individuals, as you yourself have gone through the same thing; be fortunate that you aren't in their position anymore.

Whisper of the Heart is a film that genuinely reflects the hardships of a child's transition, the idea of having to be independent and carry responsibilities. It has spoken to me in such an effective way due to myself being in the protagonist's position a couple of years ago, spending more of my time studying and focusing on my musical interest, understanding and being inspired by the art form and letting it shape myself and my perception of the world.

Eventually, I took a chance on a profession and soon I would be nearly finished in gaining my degree, if things go well from now until the end of the year, but I still sometimes sit back and reflect on my past and deciding whether or not the choices I made were poor or great; watching this film makes all of my critical reflection come off as irrelevant. It doesn't matter anymore whether the decision I made was generally the best decision, without everything that I have done in the past, I may not have become the person that I am today; I may not even be interested in cinema, which is one of the most important aspects of my life at the moment.

Each day I take in experiences and memories that would continuously grow me as a person. I am so glad that I spent most of my days in high school focusing on other things because at the time, they made me happy and that pursuing them was right for me. My sister, who is currently a year away from doing her final exams for high school, is currently on the same position as Whisper of the Heart's protagonist, and as her older sibling, I believe it is important for me to encourage her to do on what she feels is best for her. I don't want her standing in that crossroads for too long all by herself, as there is nothing worse in life than being lost and unhappy.

Oh, I forgot to mention. Whisper of the Heart was fantastic, arguably the best from the studio.
September 14, 2014
Review In A Nutshell:

Whisper of the Heart is a film that genuinely reflects the hardships of a child's transition, the idea of having to be independent and carry responsibilities. It has spoken to me in such an effective way due to myself being in her position a couple of years ago, spending more on my time studying and focusing on my musical interest, understanding and being inspired by the art form and letting it shape myself and my perception of the world.

Each day I take in experiences and memories that would continuously grow me as a person. I am so glad that I spent most of my days in high school focusing on other things because at the time, they made me happy and at that time, I felt that was right for me. My sister, who is currently a year away from doing her final exams for high school, is currently on the same position as Whisper of the Heart's protagonist, and as her older sibling, I believe it is important for me to encourage her to do on what she feels is best for her. I don't want her standing in that crossroads for too long all by herself, as there is nothing worse in life than being lost and unhappy.

Oh, I forgot to mention. The film was fantastic, arguably the best from the studio.