Whistle and I'll Come to You - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Whistle and I'll Come to You Reviews

December 17, 2014
Two BBC television versions of an M. R. James ghost story (published in 1904) involving a lonely professor who finds an object (a whistle in the original) that seems to invoke a spirit that then haunts him (mostly at night, while asleep, but also on a lonely British beach). The 1968 version, in black & white and featuring Michael Hordem (Marley in the 1951 A Christmas Carol), is far superior, with some genuine creepy moments, even if the special effects are totally old-school (well, probably better for it!). The 2010 version, starring John Hurt, tries to build a modern subplot about Alzheimer's disease into the otherwise spare story and ramps up the night terrors to some full-strength banging on the door. Hurt is good (as usual) but the story loses some of its mystery when it becomes more about strong bonds of love than about unknown spectres.
February 19, 2014
excellent English ghost story
½ July 9, 2013
Some downright bone chilling scenes in this M.R. James adaptation--masterful and truly unsettling ghost story!!
December 24, 2012
Slow burning, slightly odd, strangely creepy and an ambigious ending
October 22, 2012
Just brilliant. The 2010 version isn't too bad either, tho not a patch on the original
January 10, 2012
Aaahh. Holy Scary bedsheets, batman. Really quite spooky throughout. And the end is just utterly haunting.
September 13, 2011
A beautiful adaptation of a M.R. James story with great camera work & brilliant performance from the lead...Michael Hordern. Though some viewers may find it not as spooky as it seems initially but I loved the setting & find that final encounter pretty creepy.
April 18, 2011
A creepy short film based on the M R James story. Having seen the recent Xmas remake on BBC 1 I wanted to track this version down. I liked the atmosphere the recent version created by only using th soundtrack of the wind but I can see it nicked the idea from here. The whole thing starts off quite humourously with a funny performances from Horden as he arrives athe guest house. He barely utters one coherent word throughout the film and mumbles all the time but this gives the impression of a character constantly using his brain and perhaps running himself ragged. When he finally finds the whistle (not the ring as the recent version mysteriously substituted instead) the tension starts to build and he's soon seeing figures in the distance on the beach and being kept awake at night by rattling windows and nightmares of being pursued on the beach. When the finale hits he almost loses his mind. It's a great performance from the actor. I only wish they could have had more of the figure on the beach and the knocking on the door that featured so heavily in the recent remake. Neither stick completely to the original story but they both create brilliant atmosphere throughout and have genuine scares. Well worth tracking down and watching on a cold, stormy night.
½ February 10, 2011
A classic BBC Christmas ghost story concerning a professor who finds an old bone whistle in a graveyard. Taking the whistle and making the mistake of blowing it, the professor is terrorised by visions of a ghost pursuing him on a beach. As more strange things begin to happen, the professor's sanity is taken to the limit. Atmospheric and frightening with a brilliant performance by Michael Hordern as the professor. Recommended.
August 6, 2009
Michael Hordern gives an incredible performance in the terrifying film. It scares the pants off me, but you can't get enough of this one. Its only 40 mins long, and all the better for it. Michael Hordern is a genius, I need to see more of his films.
February 7, 2009
Atmospheric and surreal. Not only the film wowed with its supernatural story, darkly it foredooms the intellectual hubris--the losing of our logic, the blur of what's real and what's physical. This is a brilliant, haunting depiction of when conscious falls into tricks and turns.
November 4, 2008
Like the tale it is taken from, this short film is meandering and starchy, yet puncuated by some of the most terrifying imageryI have ever encountred.
The idea behind this story should haunt any thinking mind for some time. When we say that the human soul survives death, might it be in the same way the human body survived some accident. As something palpable and sentient, but nevertheless irrevocably broken.
August 5, 2008
Absolute gold. I'm so gald i was introduced to this haunting masterpiece. Unlike any other, this horror is mind-bending and shocking. The atmosphere is very uneasy and the lead role is unusual.
July 22, 2008
Oh my giddiest aunt! I had to sleep in an attic after watching this and I only managed it because I'd been making generously with the white wine! One of those films where it's what you don't see that scares you. Incredibly atmospheric, top notch acting and just aaaaaaagh!
May 21, 2008
This is not for the faint-hearted. Trust me when I say that I can't sleep well at night and I lay blame on Jonathan Miller. Get your hands on this one and get spooked.
April 24, 2008
Brilliantly bleak setting of the famous M.R. James ghost story by Jonathan Miller. Terrifying.
March 5, 2008
Wonderfully eccentric, intense, and amusing performance from Michael Hordern as a repressed academic on holiday on the bleak Norfolk coast. The moral of the story is:don't take home any whistles you might find in spooky graveyards. Something else might come home with you.
February 7, 2008
Fookin' terrifying weird shit this is. Horrible sound effects.