White Nights - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

White Nights Reviews

March 4, 2011
Pros: The way it looked, although it was 2 hours long, it kept me sucked in, good dancing.
Cons: The first scene was boring.
See it if you like Dramas, films about ballet, or if you like Lionel Richie's 'Say You Say Me'
½ February 1, 2011
Nice dancing, bad Russians, and thats about it, tappity tap tap tap tap.
January 27, 2011
You've got amazing dancing performed for the most part by Mikhail Baryshnikov and Gregory Hines mixed with Mikhail speaking English, French and Russian and Helen Mirren speaking Russian plus English with a Russian accent. What more could you possibly want? And, oh yeah, you've got music by Vladimir Vysotsky. <3
½ January 4, 2011
Not much to watch unless you enjoy watching dancing.
½ December 26, 2010
The movie is dated and the plotlines not very good, but it is still great to watch the dance scenes. I do think this movie is a good example at just how absurd the cold war was.

Quite a campy picture 25 years on.
½ October 27, 2010
What an awful story, just plain ridiculous.
½ October 3, 2010
I love watching Gregory Hines strut his stuff and Baryshnikov, well words don't suffice - mix it all up and you are left in awe!... If you haven't seem this on, you're missing out ! Sooo... go find it, watch it - and I'll promise - the rhythm is gonna get you!
July 7, 2010
Fix the damn description Flixster!!!
April 27, 2010
One of my favourite guilty pleasures! A movie about ballet & tap-dancing, disguised as a political thriller. Mikhail Baryshnikov & Gregory Hines offer decent performances, and the soundtrack is filled with some great 80's tracks.
April 20, 2010
In years to come we'll hopefully laugh at how stupid humanity was to allow things like the Cold War to occur. This film reflects just how much that time was dominated by pathetic regimes and ideologies.

The film itself is nicely done, although it would have benefitted from being 20-30 minutes shorter. Baryshnikov's dance sequence over the opening credits and his incredibly controlled dance spins in order to win a bet with Hines, are to be marvelled at and repeatedly enjoyed with the rewind button. Hines supports very well and you can see he marvels at Baryshnikov's dancing as well. The 2 of them are unlikely companions that work surprisingly well on screen. With the Cold War thankfully gone, this movie dates a bit, but there aren't many like it.
½ April 20, 2010
Great dancing in a terrible script.
½ March 14, 2010
The "White Nights" that I am reviewing does not match this description nor the actors listed here, though it does match the video clip and the cover art, so that's a bit confusing. But the "White Nights" I am writing about stars dancers, Gregory Hines and Mikhail Baryshnikov. If I were to rate it on the dancing sequences alone, I'd be giving it a solid ten. Baryshnikov is an extraordinary dancer and takes ballet to a completely different level. He's truly in a league of his own, as far as dancing goes. And Hines always impresses with his incredible tap dancing skills and everytime this movie came back to another dance sequence, I was riveted and left wanting for more. Unfortunately, this movie isn't primarily a dancing movie and it does attempt to have a storyline and when it drifts to that, it bored me. I wasn't at all interested in the plot that was going on and Gregory Hines and Mikhail Barysnikov should stick to dancing because they can not act. Mikhail's acting, especially, was downright awful and he came across so arrogant that I almost felt myself not liking him at all in this. So, unfortunately, I doubt I'd watch this movie again but am glad I saw it, simply for the incredible dancing alone.
January 28, 2010
dancing!! favourite 5 minutes of dancing by gregroy hines and mikhail baryshinkov
½ January 13, 2010
This is such a beautiful story. Its about a loner who one day where walking runs into a girl whom is sobbing on a bridge. Through their interaction we learn that she is waiting for "the love of her life" to meet her. They havent been in touch for a year. The film progresses using lots of flashbacks to tell her story, while we follow Marcelo Mastroianni's character as he falls in love with this woman. The night scenes, especially in the fog, are absolutely gorgeous and the film is just a beautiful sad, yet uplifting story. Luchino Visconti you truly are on my favorites.
December 29, 2009
"Bizarr hopblandning av två olika filmer i Flixter! Det är White Nights från 1985 som jag har sett. Texten här intill handlar om den andra filmen. "
November 4, 2009
I fell in love with Baryshnikov!
½ October 14, 2009
Hugely enjoyable dance scenes, and a not bad plot to go with it.
August 30, 2009
So this wasn't the dancing buddy cop movie I was expecting, Oh well. I like tap dancing. I like Gregory Hines. I like Baryshnikov. I don't like Baryshnikov tap dancing. I don't like Ballet. The story was ehh.

2009 Movies: 100
August 11, 2009
Remrkable dancing skills even better acting by all of the players.
½ June 11, 2009
This is a great story. I love the dancing and the music. The ending will break your heart.