White Shadows in the South Seas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

White Shadows in the South Seas Reviews

½ June 2, 2012
While a well photographed anti-imperialist silent film collaboration between Robert J. Flaherty & W.S. Van Dyke starring Monte Blue sounds like something I can dig into, I found it far to trite and melodramatic for my taste.
½ March 10, 2012
Past the didactic beginning, the movie melds locations, documentary footage of the native islanders and their routines, and the shifting mood of the protagonist. It's a simple story, but it's well-told and follows through on its message all the way to the ending.
March 10, 2010
Monte Blue plays a doctor to live on a Polynesian island. He is appalled at how the native pearl divers are used and exploited by a ruthless entrepeneur. They clash. Of course there is romance involved as well.

Fascinating silent film, beautifully photographed and has a pleasant score.
½ March 7, 2009
this is an interesting film only for the visuals. there is some great early underwater shots and some great uses of filters. on the other hand, this is stuff that griffith was doing years earlier. and flaherty/murnau did similar stuff in tabu, whcih wasnt that great either
½ March 3, 2009
Not only is the movie full of long sequences of with no story whatsoever, but it's one of the worst examples of reverse racism I've ever seen.