White Commanche Reviews

• Apr 11, 2015

Made between seasons of Star Trek, with Shatner in duel roles. Not a huge amount to recommend this western unless you must absolutely positively see everything that Shatner has ever starred in.

• Sep 03, 2014

Although this has a release date of 2000, it actually was made in 1968 during a "Star Trek" hiatus. I guess Shatner figured doing foreign westerns worked for another TV star, so why not him too? But Rowdy Yates (Clint Eastwood) had Sergio Leone directing, not Jose Briz (aka Gilbert Kay). But its doubtful Leone could have done anything with this script (also by Briz) that features Shatner in a dual role: as Johnny Moon who lives among the whites and his twin brother Notah, the White Commanche who smokes peyote and overacts (Kir-ock, anyone?) Though billed first Joseph Cotton is clearly the second lead in this murky and mind numbing story. But I can see why Shatner did it. 1. Paid trip to Europe. 2. Dual role including one where he never wears a shirt 3. Gets to ride horses. 4. Gets to make out with the leading lady as BOTH characters. 5. Did I mention overact?

• Sep 03, 2014

140830: How low can you go? William Shatner in a spaghetti western, and a pretty bad spaghetti western to boot. This film is corny, but that corniness brought a few smiles to my face. Getting shot in the forehead seems to be a common cause of death in Rio Hondo. Some fun characters but don't become too attached as many of them die in a big gun battle halfway through. Shatner plays two roles, those of twin brothers, thereby doubling the amount of bad acting on his part. Comically poor but a must see for spaghetti and Shatner fans who can put up with all the nonsense. The musical accompaniment is memorable.

• Sep 03, 2014

Joseph Cotton and William Shatner are at opposite ends of their 'B' movie career in this lackluster western which does little for either. Shatner plays twins in a very one-dimensional divide of cowboy vs Indian - in a very one-dimensional manner.

• Mar 22, 2013

71% "You are no longer my brother!"~Johnny Moon (The Shat)

71% "You are no longer my brother!"~Johnny Moon (The Shat)

• Dec 27, 2011

William Shatner bears the burden of a half-breed often confused with an evil twin brother. Poorly executed but thankfully for Shatner, he was able to avoid permanent damage to his career. Rosanna Yanni, however, shines regardless of the material.

• Oct 25, 2010

White Comanche is an awful excuse of a movie, but did you really expect much from it? I bought it in a pack with 19 other westerns at my local Wal-Mart for $2.99 just after seeing that William Shatner was in this movie, and considering it was only 3 bucks, it was well worth my money, but that's not saying much. Shatner is hilarious as an indian, but once you see him as a cowboy (which is most of the film) it really goes downhill, because he's really just not that good. Don't get me wrong, Shatner would go on to be an excellent actor in both serious and comedic roles (i.e. Boston Legal & S**t My Dad Says) but he cleary was still learning. It's hilarious how obviously lazy the filmakers were in trying to make him an indian. They just took off his shirt, left on the same pants, and painted his face. It's a low budget movie and it shows. The editing and direction are abysmal, nothing more can be said. The music is extremely odd. It's progressive jazz... in a spaghetti western. Just plain weird. I don't really understand how this movie is a spaghetti western anyway. Only one person looks Italian and no one seems to be speaking Spanish, unless they got a dubber who could dub circles around Leone's. Also the writer, producers, and director are American. I really just don't know. If you have to give the movie anything, its that it's original. Its about two twin brothers, half white, half indian, who each choose to lead the opposite lifestyle. Indian Shatner goes around killing, robbing, and raping as a stereotypical movie indian does, and White Shatner gets blamed for all of it. Its a lot different then you're typical guy comes home, his family has been killed, he goes in revenge tale that dominates about 75% of old westerns. All in all White Comanche is terrible, but its funny to see Shatner so out of character, and it has a certain indescribable charm about it. If you have 3 dollars to spare and want to check it out (plus 19 other equally bad westerns) pick it up.

• Sep 03, 2010

Friday, September 3, 2010 (1967) White Comanche SPAGETTI WESTERN The plot has William Shatner playing two roles- one as the bad 'White Comanche' and the other, the good civilized Johnny Moon. Twins on opposite sides of each other going at it which is very low budget with low calibre directing. Though people who love the 'spagetti western' genre might enjoy this film though, I on the other hand think it could've been better had the studio had more money and had spent more time with this it might've been worth my while! 2 out of 4

• Morris N Super Reviewer
    May 20, 2010

So bad it's funny. I watched it with my finger on the fast forward button part of the time, and the rest of the time I was howling at the horrible dialog and non-existent plot. It's bizarre, and if you think truly bad cinema can be entertaining it's a must.

• Jan 13, 2010

This is the worst western I have ever seen. All the dialogue is terrible (although some of it was unintentionally funny), the lighting is substandard, and everyone's timing is off. Joseph Cotten is the sherriff and William Shatner pulls double duty as both the noble cowboy and his evil native american brother. The novie was shot in spain and no one in the film sounds even vagely western, A film like this makes you appreciate how good Leoni really was.