The White Dawn - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The White Dawn Reviews

April 14, 2016
Three whalers get shipwrecked in the Canadian Arctic in 1869 and are saved and taken in by Eskimo people. Interesting to learn a bit more about the way of life of the Eskimo and how they survive. The food options and bathing facilities appear limited but otherwise it could be worse for the three sailors.
½ March 5, 2016
Three whalers become marooned in the deep Arctic late in the 19th century, rescued and taken in by Eskimo community. Culture clash never mends leading to a tragic end. Filmed on location in Baffin Island with real Inuit people and language. A film that deserved a wider audience; would be interested in stories on the making of this film.
½ June 8, 2015
Think of it as a darker, colder version of 'Dances with Wolves'. White Dawn takes us to the other side of the world to tell a story of a group of Americans sailors who slowly corrupt the isolated Inuit community that has rescued them. It's a lost film that should be rediscovered
March 14, 2014
Pretty good one based on James Houston's book. I find this to be a little bland and not too exciting but other than that, it's still a good one.
September 4, 2012
great movie. cant believe i hadn't heard of this. great scenery!
May 9, 2012
I don't remember watching it and I don't remember rating it. What is going on here?
½ May 8, 2012
if you ever read the book then you know that the film adaptation is from a different point of view. great story, wonderful scenery.....
May 8, 2012
Hollywood seldomly makes movies like this today.Yes many of us tend to go for the "NOW" but really many of you do not know the wonderful brilliant movies such as this one that your missing. I say go watch this and the making of it!.
½ May 8, 2012
Awesome postcards from the edge of the world. Nanooks are indistinguishable from each other, making them a mass of furry humanity without character. Tall americans bumble around. Oates is good.
May 8, 2012
Pretty authentic filmmaking. A little brutal at times.
May 8, 2012
This is a great adventure story about three men trapped living with eskimos and how their 'civilized' values interfere with the harmony of the 'eskimo way'. A great cultural piece.
May 8, 2012
can never get over this movie.....just makes me feel closer to my iqnik
Émouvant, triste....super bon!!
½ May 8, 2012
Quite a poor movie to say the least..... Certainly not worth the time to watch it.
April 22, 2012
This film brought an Eskimo legend to life with the native peoples of the northwest. It's an amazing story and very enlightening look into Eskimo culture - erotic at times. The acting is also very believable.
½ December 4, 2010
Beautifully filmed movie about sailors losing their way in the arctic and being saved by the inuit people in the region. The story itself is pretty interesting, the dynamics of culture of belief, and what family really is. Warning though, this film has a ton of indigenous nudity and some fairly realistic violence, so be prepared for that. And the ending seemed really abrupt, but since it is based on a true story it is what it is.
January 20, 2010
like in the most of his movies, and his life also, philip kaufman hasn't decided yet if he is a european director from chicago, or an american commercial director with a taste of europe. the problem is that he has some european artistic ambitions, and american ways of simplification during filming. the worst of all problems of this picture is the fact that the main characters are over-simplified. one of the sailors is a know-nothing old school stereotype, the other is a cosmopolitan and idealistic stereotype, and the third is a "talking nigger" from teen movies. the second problem is the fact that the movie is too long and loses in momentum, until the climax in the end. but the strong points is a realistic treatment of the intercultural clash, much more brutal than in little big man, for example, without comic relieves and references to mythology. but the raw strength of the footage and the very arctic ice is not enough to make us forget the weaker parts.
January 2, 2010
(***): Thumbs Up

An interesting film that you don't hear too much about when people discuss the works of Philip Kaufman. I'm glad I was able to see it. Great cinematography.