The White Dragon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The White Dragon Reviews

½ December 25, 2012
blind man vs princess
December 7, 2012
How many dragon films now?

Another one wont hurt :)
September 5, 2012
Recuerdo, recuerdos!!!
½ January 11, 2012
Comedy martial arts action.
December 10, 2011
Something about the description: A kung fu period comedy, makes me say, no thanks!
October 4, 2010
The movie starts off with a fast and playfull recapitulation, a good, classic way to astablish the characters.
It's very funny and filled with absurdity in the beginning, there are even elemens you would see in comics!
It's all very amusing and the acting seems typical for Asian entertainment. If you get the absurdity and exaduration it's done pretty well.
The story of the powerfull, skilled blind man made me think of Zatoichi, there are some resemblences. The names used in this movie are all animalistic,
so is the blind man called Chickenfeathers. When I read the subs, I thought it was pretty funny,
surely in the beginning when you don't yet grasp the fact that's his name. Also the exaduration of insane powers fit in this one,
more so I thought than in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. I think personally the fact that the stuntcables aren't showing so much forms a clean add-on
to the already marvellous fighting scenes. Then the beautifull story of friendship and love unraveles.
It becomes a bigger movie with a very satisfying, classical ending. Suprisingly great!
August 24, 2010
Before reinventing himself as official Yip Man-chronicler and vessel for Donnie Yen's enormous acting talent, Wilson Yip had a varied output which revealed a keen sense of drama, albeit often in an action movie context. The White Dragon is a period piece touching upon wuxia fantasy with lots of lame comedy and more embarassing moments than you can count, until the film makes a proper full-stop, turning a slight narrative digression into a finely tuned and genuinely felt small scale drama. Not the safest way to go for the director, but working with top actors Francis Ng and Cecilia Cheung is of course a guaranteed success.
August 4, 2010
It was good I was expecting a wall to wall action movie and found a heartwarming romantic comedy with a few Wuxia-style action sequences thrown in. The acting was superb (IN CHINESE OF COURSE) and Cecilia Cheung and Francis Ng shine in the role of Phoenix Black/Little White Dragon and Chicken Feathers respectively with the humour and romance being very believable as Chueng's initial resistance to Ng's character proves, and how he slowly worms his way in to her heart with his honesty and affection for her. A surprise to me I have to say I enjoyed it far more than I expected, and enjoyed how it had the comedic tone of 'Kung-Fu Hustle' at the start and then later more of a 'House of Flying Daggers' or 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' style of romantic tone, but the shift was done in a subtle way, unlike most western romantic-comedies which shift from the humourous part of the movie to the romantic part in as little a time as it takes to make a scene change. Kudos to Wilson Yip, he has made a funny, touching, and most importantly entertaining film, I found it to be more entertaining than 'House of Flying Daggers' released the same year. It was lacking 'White Dragon's wit and charm and that pacing was so slow it was almost boring, whereas this movie moves fast and has lots of laugh on the ride.
May 21, 2010
Just so-so. The director wanted to emulated the style of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon without success.
January 23, 2010
Starts out as a hilarious spoof on martial arts films, then takes a sharp left and becomes a more serious romance, which doesn't work.
CountessPiluRC
July 14, 2009
This is... its's... so... difficult to rate it and describe it and decide whether you like it or not... It's just an odd movie. But not "Eraserhead" odd, just odd in the sense that the movie ends and you don't know what did it try to be.
It starts with some great fighting scenes, with people flying and those magnificent swords sounds, and you think "oh! it's going to be an awesome kung-fu film!", but then you see some really stupid jokes and you are like "what the hell is going on here?" And just when it comes the moment in which you say "all right, apparently, I'm watching a comedy", a very moving story emerges and it actually touches you! And at the same time it's a pretty romantic film.
I don't know. I liked it. In spite of its ambition of trying to embrace so many genres and ends up not fullfilling any; I thought it was a nice movie. The story was nice, the fighting scenes were really good, the music is fantastic, and in general it's a very entertaining movie.
July 7, 2009
Plot: 7.5
Plot with many twist and turn for make us all be interest.

Action: 9
Fight had many special effect and guillotine is twirling to make us wow.

Comedy: 8
Download and raisin face: they laugh us many.

Romance: 7
Love is triangle is strongest shape. We love to watch and movie watch us love.

Memorable moments: 9
From robot dance to chikie and hoppy who lives on in memory moments are many which make us forever.

Total Rating: 8
Love this movie can bring often and for many peoples are come.
June 9, 2009
Very funny and very sweet! An instant favorite.
skactopus
½ June 7, 2009
The White Dragon is a costume comedic adventure from Wilson Yip. It is definitely a 90+ minute film to not take too seriously.The theme is really playful. The songs are upbeat and catchy, and some of the comedic components are oddly over the top. The first 30 minutes blow by fairly quickly, with quick scene changes, swordplay, and comical elements that look out of place. Computer's don't exist in this film's time frame, yet during a transfer of power from one character to another, the floating paper and the download bar appear in the middle of the screen on the characters.A good portion of the middle tends to drag and the tone also calms down. The comedy is there in bits in pieces, including a generic McDonald's happy meal. The heck? Anyway, the final 20 minutes tend to pick up again, although it seems like a way to just get more action in.The swordplay is fast, has some nice choreography, and it includes some interesting sword slashing scenes. The problem is that there is just too few of it. There are a couple fights in the beginning and one at the end. That is it.The gorgeous Cecilia Cheung is no stranger to this type of film, as seen in Cat and Mouse, so she has no problem as the lead. Francis Ng steps up and delivers a good performance as well.The White Dragon is fun at times, but the story and lack of action hold this film back from being great.
½ March 1, 2009
A force de répéter dans le film qu'elle est belle, on finit par la croire Cecilia Cheung.
Divertissant. Des blagues/clin d'oeil décallés en référence à la culture US.
January 18, 2009
Is this movie that good...? No. But is it fun to watch? Hell yes. It's super cute and cracks me up every time. The first time I watched it, I didn't quite understand it. It was so serious... but yet also a comedy? Well... yeah. Don't watch if you're expecting Hero or House of the Flying Daggers... because I made that mistake, and you simply aren't going to get it. But, what you will get is enjoyable and a lot of quirky fun.
December 29, 2008
I really liked this movie, I watched it twice.
October 11, 2008
that iz not big deal mom great mom
½ October 7, 2008
it is really as bad as it's widely known...Half star to my sam-gor
½ September 30, 2008
This movie was kinda lame, but I'm a fan of asian inspired films, so I managed to finish the entire movie.