White Irish Drinkers Reviews

• Nov 16, 2013

Cliche but enough there to keep you watching

Cliche but enough there to keep you watching

• Sep 25, 2013

This isn't a perfect movie by any stretch of the imagination, but personally I found that the story kind of drew me in. The story line has certainly been done before - an abusive father reeks havoc on his family, one son leads a life of crime, while the other son looks for redemption. As with most of these types of movies its really just the set that changes. White Irish Drinkers takes place in the 70's in Brooklyn and Brian and Danny are looking for away out of there family and the big city. Danny thinks he has a plan that involves theft and Brian's boss. The tables get turned when Brian's boss doesn't turn out to be the stand up guy everyone thinks he is. The movie looks at the relationships of the whole family, father, sons and mother and how those relationships affect other relationships. WID kept me watching, I found myself cheering for the success of both brothers - that they would be able to overcome the abuse that had surrounded them their whole lives. In a story like this that can be wishful thinking, but it ultimately means that the movie made me feel for its characters and I think that's a sign of decent art.

• Walter M Super Reviewer
    Jul 11, 2013

While Brian(Nick Thurston) does not mind accompanying his older brother Danny(Geoffrey Wigdor) on his jewlery robberies, he does draw the line at holding onto a gun for him. Otherwise, Brian uses art to distract himself from his abusive father(Stephen Lang) and his mother's(Karen Allen) idiosyncratic cooking and to meet women like Shauna(Leslie Murphy). For money, Brian works part-time at the moribund Lafayette Theatre where its owner Whitey(Peter Riegert) has just landed the Rolling Stones for a one hour concert which may yet save things. "White Irish Drinkers" is what we mean when we call a movie a mixed bag. On the one hand, you could occupy yourself by playing spot a cliche like brothers heading in opposite directions and incredibly prescient characters in a period piece.(However, one prediction turned out to be wrong since the movie was made.) In other ways, the movie takes full advantage of its time and place, like remembering old movie palaces in a time when New York City, not only Brooklyn, was going to the dogs, forcing many characters to choose between security and any dreams they might have.(What are the chances somebody would be reading the Daily News with the legendary cover, "Ford to NYC: Drop Dead?") To be honest, even if the movie had stopped after Brian's window painting, I would have recommended it, even without all the other cool moments. Plus, everything does neatly dovetail right at the end, rather unexpectedly. That's not to mention the fine work by the young cast, nor my eternal soft spot for Karen Allen.

• Jun 04, 2013

There's a decent script and a good movie at the heart of this film, but unfortunate for audiences neither were achieved or capitalized upon. We've all seen this story play out before, a kid from a rough neighborhood with a hidden talent that tries to get out but, his family and neighborhood keep pulling him down. This film boasted some decent performances by its ancillary characters, but was ultimately doomed by the stale, robotic and unconvincing effort put forth by its lead. Its overly familiar plot and poor lead were far too much for this Indie film to overcome -- 4.5/10.

• Feb 26, 2013

Very good movie. Very well made movie. Story of two brothers living with am abusive druken father who takes out his anger on them. And how one brother wants a better life n one is comsummed with the life of a thug of the neighborhood.

• Feb 25, 2013

Turned out to be a good movie and great story. Rent it!

Turned out to be a good movie and great story. Rent it!

• Nov 26, 2012

What started out as pretentious crap turned into something pretty decent. Good acting all-around, but the score and poignant ending are really what helped catapult this.

• Nov 23, 2012

A solid movie. Entertaining plot, a few twists. Especially entertaining if you know the area and the people the movie is about.

• Nov 01, 2012

So, I really, really, liked this film... even though the sons appeared to be trying to act younger than they looked... the storyline, female lead, and especially the father, were great to watch.

• Sep 27, 2012

Nice little feel good movie about BKLYN. Too bad the whole theme was centered around getting OUT OF Brooklyn like as if their ass can't just move up 2-3 exits from where they stay and be in a positive environment. Running away from a whole state is not always the answer but movies about NY damn sure make it like that sometimes.