White Light/Black Rain: The Destruction of Hiroshima and Nagasaki - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

White Light/Black Rain: The Destruction of Hiroshima and Nagasaki Reviews

½ July 7, 2015
I don't know what plaintif cry could make it clearer that all nukes must be eliminated AND for total nuclear disarmament to succeed general disarmament & demilitarization of the whole planet is necessary.

It is only in steeping ourselves in films & propaganda like this that we can apreciate the practical effect on the human condition that such weapons of mass destruction have after their use even after 70 years of these tiny examples of our presesent arsenal let alone were to be used now. Now, we'd all be exterminated in the most agonizing way achievable were a global nuclear war to happen.

The only way not not to all horribly die is to do away with nations & total & mutually disarm now before the enivitable result of not doing so engulfs us. In other words; we're doomed.
June 25, 2014
The single most devastating movie I've ever seen.
½ February 29, 2012
Powerful! Everybody should see this documentary, and then tell me if we should nuke Iraq. It's, especially important with the situation in North Korea, and Iran.

I believe that Nuclear technology, for weapons is the worst thing that has happened to the world.
½ December 24, 2011
Moving documentary on the devastation resulting from the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki
April 7, 2011
The aftermath of the bombs was so devastating that even children were committing suicide.
March 1, 2011
Powerful documentary showing the horror that innocent civilians had to endure during the 1945 Hiroshima and Nagasaki murder which killed 150-200 000 people in a few days.
There are no excuses for such a crime and no justifications whatsoever.
½ September 28, 2010
Hell on Earth, Sadness, Touching, Horrifying.
August 2, 2010
very powerful look at the survivors of the bombs. extremely devastating.
July 21, 2010
No history is more valid than the voices of the people that were directly affected by it. This has the right amount of reality to make you understand and empathize what happened in Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
The director, Steven Okazaki says: ?I just want people to stop arguing about the rights and wrongs of the atomic bombings, whose fault it is, who deserved it or didn?t, whether it was worse, or not as bad, as other holocausts, and just listen to the stories of the people who were there. People like you and me, our parents, our children, our friends.? and he does just that.
June 16, 2010
Pulling no punches and desperately sad. A vivid exposure of humanity's ability to destroy. I wouldn't recommend eating while watching this. That was a mistake.
February 6, 2010
Excellent documentary - very disturbing. I still think the bombings were necessary to end the war as the invasion of Japan would have cost over 1 million American lives. It would also have resulted in the total destruction of much of the country. Pity it didn't end war altogether.
August 31, 2009
Heartbreaking but a very important document. Let's hope this never happens again.
August 12, 2009
Very sobering. We can't let this happen again.
½ August 11, 2009
Powerful, moving, not at all preachy. Merely a presentation from the survivors of the events that occurred, and their aftermath.

And the last "line" of the movie frightens the crap out of me.
½ August 10, 2009
On the technical and humanist fronts, this film hits it out of the park. It's exceptionally moving. However, I was a bit disappointed by how the event was framed by the terms determined by the United States military. I don't expect your average HBO documentary to answer the questions and conclude that Truman was a war criminal or that it was an inherently racist act because an A bomb would NEVER have been dropped on white Europeans. I don't find footage of Truman or accounts of technicians, scientists and military personnel in establishing the 'Why' of the bomb to be sufficient. Clearly, that's not the focus of the documentary, but it's effectiveness is watered down by such a powerful and clear-eyed view of the human cost without exploring how it was allowed to happen. One of the worst things about war and war-time documentaries is the tendency to present it all as natural. War just happens, like death just happens. Even if no one is pinned with the blame, war doesn't just happen. To its victims, war does just happen, but this naturalization is really dangerous, especially because I'm fairly certain that this view of war is directed almost exclusively toward Westerners, people whose governments start and wage wars. This oversight or lack of courage contributes to an ability of the citizens of the "free" world being able to sympathize with the victims of our militaries, while feeling that our countries are guiltless in causing suffering. It's an ideological coup, combining personal sentiment with political passivity and establishment thinking.
August 3, 2009
It made me want to sob.
August 2, 2009
"It was especially horrible when the maggots would eat at my flesh and wounds- that was real hell." This documentary will stick to you.
½ July 5, 2009
Following the new trend of "indie-documentaries", this was a chilling reminder of the after effects of Hiroshima. Well done and mesmerizing...
½ May 21, 2009
Important documentation of such a powerful incident which focuses on the Japanese civilians that were caught in the middle of ultimate destruction. Watch this and just TRY not to feel something. You can't help but be shocked, saddened or frightened. Watch this. I dare you.