White Nights Reviews

• Jul 31, 2017

breathtaking dancing, great story

breathtaking dancing, great story

• Jul 04, 2017

Interesting and unusual political story, plus see MB dance and GH dance and sing. Very good!

• Dec 30, 2016

A predictable plot, awkwardly directed and boringly filmed. If there is a saving grace in this movie it is Baryshnikov dancing. Skip the movie, watch the best scenes on Youtube!

• Jul 18, 2016

A well-done hybrid of a movie that stands the test of time.

A well-done hybrid of a movie that stands the test of time.

• Jan 22, 2014

truthful and touching, though I am sure people who never lived under.socialism will miss some very fine point. barishnikov is amazing

• Jun 16, 2013

Decent film about a man who fled his country, but by an accident on a plane he is on, is forced to land back in that country and he is promptly arrested and sent to live with an American man who defected during the Vietnam War and is being held as well. One man dances, the other taps...and I'm not really sure why they wanted them to dance in some show. Maybe it was explained, but it seemed quite silly. The dancing is pretty great, for two dudes doing it, and Hines is really good at it and singing as well: something I never knew. But every time they break down in a dude dance, it reminded me of that hilarious Kevin Bacon dance in Footloose!!! There's another side plot with a woman friend of the lead guy pleading for the Americans to help rescue her friend. There are two of them in particular, and they make they bumbling idiots for the most part. Glover is such a dummy in this. To be fair they make the Russians overly villainous. Rossellini is quite good here in her first role, but Mirren seems so blah considering how awesome she can be in other films. The song they play over the end credits, SAY YOU, SAY ME by Lionel Richie, won Best Song, but I still think there were at least six better songs that year.

• May 27, 2013

The plot of White Nights is well-planned, the script neatly written and two relatively unknown actors as the lead men - Mikhail Baryshnikov and Gregory Hines - carry this feature well. The end result is a touching, funny drama with a romantic edge. Helen Mirren is stunning!

• Apr 26, 2013

Great film i loved the choreography beautifully done..

Great film i loved the choreography beautifully done..

• Jan 27, 2013

Starred Gregory Hines, and some female In russia as ballet dancers. A sort of love story.

• Dec 04, 2012

Yes this seems a contrived vehicle for Baryshnikov, but has so many wonderful actors/actresses that it doesn't matter. Worth seeing just for the soundtrack and the incredible dancing. I loved the opening skit! When the actual ending came, I wasn't as disappointed as I thought I'd be.