White Palace - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

White Palace Reviews

August 9, 2016
An older woman dating a younger man, can true romance come from this? Sarandon is good as always.
July 31, 2016
True love is never an embarrassment or a mismatch regardless of age or economic station or propriety.
May 28, 2016
AWESOME ... Love Story
March 31, 2015
Sarandon and Spader sizzle in a different kind of love story.
August 13, 2014
My half-brother's step-cousin wrote the book.
½ November 18, 2013
I love this movie I was married to someone who was 29 and I was 43 I can so relate!
½ September 5, 2013
James Spader gives a real performance in this.
June 13, 2013
Class, age, cultural, religious differences be damn, if the sex is great. :-)
½ March 20, 2013
Worst movie I have ever seen in my lifetime. Susan Suranwrap is disgusting gross. If you like 80 year old woman sleeping with young kids than this movie is for you.
January 19, 2013
Sexy. Romantic. Funny. Susan Sarandon and James Spader are wonderful in this. I would like to own this movie one day. Good love story about younger man and older woman.
January 8, 2013
Sure it isn't a great movie but I like the unlikely chemistry between Susan Sarandon's character and James Spader's. It works in a really humourous way.
½ January 3, 2013
This was in Family Guy
½ October 28, 2012
Susan Sarandon does wonders with the Texas ascent.. Very typical a love story, but nicely done..
September 4, 2012
There have been a lot of movies made featuring May-December romances, but "White Palace" is unique among them. First of all, it turns the tables on the gender rules that apply to most by making the female the elder, and secondly, few of them are this real and honest.

Many saw this as a flip side to the blockbuster "Pretty Woman", and the comparison is valid to a certain extent but this is no fairy tale. James Spader and Susan Sarandon give multi-layered performances as two complex characters, and the screenplay refuses to take the easy way out. They don't have all the answers, and that's refreshing to see.

For Sarandon, Spader being embarrassed to introduce her to his friends is a huge sticking point, but at the same time you question whether or not she really wants to be put in that situation. The couple is happy enough together until they are forced to see their relationship through other people's eyes. Ted Tally has written a script full of tricky social commentaries such as that, the whole while building a credible connection between the two stars. You believe them as a couple despite their age and background differences, and the eroticism is definitely genuine as well.

The only element that sidetracks the film is the oddball appearance of Eileen Brennan as Sarandon's psychic sister. The only real purpose she serves is as a plot device to bring the two leads back together in an unfortunate happy ending that truly betrays the film. It feels as phony as the rest of the picture feels truthful. Until then, however, "White Palace" is a terrific film, full of honesty and certifiable emotions. The conclusion feels tacked on.
½ July 23, 2012
I actually enjoyed this film. It get's a little complicated at times but understandable.
July 21, 2012
The film is worth a watch thanks to Susan Sarandon's outstanding performance as Nora Baker, a character which keeps some similarities to the real Nora Jean Baker (Marilyn Monroe). Sarandon plays a tough and sexy woman, a wild but vulnerable one, that pretends to be aggressive to hide a life of suffering. She falls in love with Max, a young man who recently lost his wife. A story that began with just sex, ended in a touching love story. Luis Mandoki did a fine job directing this movie.
February 4, 2012
Fun but unrealistic. He's 27, she's 43. He's Jewish, once upon a time she was Catholic. She's a waitree. He's college educated and in advertising. She's a slob, he's compulsivly next. Who's to say who's right for each other? The couple who are involved. Been there, done that, it has as much chance of surviving as a snowball in hell.
January 29, 2012
This is a darn good movie. Good ending. Worth a box of popcorn.
November 26, 2011
Erre most így hirtelen egy szó jut eszembe: confusing.
November 20, 2011
I enjoyed watching this movie a lot, although the ending was disappointing. Good drama.